Something I haven't seen before even after 5k hours!

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I came across this location today, which is something I have never seen before, despite well over 5k hours across 4 different accounts :D

Basically, this is an outpost buried within an asteroid cluster. You know, the ones that you always switch off in your nav panel, as they are just pointless to visit (massive shame, actually).
The system is HR 1487 if you want to have a look at it.

So cool! This game can still surprise me after all these years and hours. That's why I love it so much <3

1690080683485.png

1690080403318.png

Nice find!

And yeah, I would never find something like that because I am one of those people who filters out asteroid clusters.

What the heck were you doing in there?

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I thought you need a body for an object to orbit or it will just float around aimlessly.

Or something.
This outpost is within the cluster, so it orbits the star along with it.

Nice find!

And yeah, I would never find something like that because I am one of those people who filters out asteroid clusters.

What the heck were you doing in there?

I only noticed it on the system map, as I filter them out as well. I was just looking for some restoration missions. You can have a look here, it's time-stamped, so you need to click on the link to view it from that moment.

Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1878917621?t=00h33m37s

I thought you need a body for an object to orbit or it will just float around aimlessly.

Or something.

Yes, like a star for instance? So it's orbiting the star, the station orbit and the asteroid cluster just happen to be close together, the cluster is just part of the larger asteroid belt, probably at a lagrange point of some other planetary body where the gravitational fields form an area of stability. There's absolutely no reason, however, that a station can't just orbit a star, there are some megaships that are the sole bodies in the system apart from the star, so it's not really that unusual.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
That's a great thing to stumble across Roots. I knew they had put a few things in Belt Clusters over the years, but had no idea there was an Outpost in one either. I wonder how many there are.

What makes it even better is that Belt Clusters being useless has come up in conversation with someone a few times recently :)

Last edited:
I came across this around a year ago and I've kept an eye out for similar stuff, from what I remember one of the right side panels used to show weird orbit/altitude stats for stations like that, totally different from other stations, not sure if that's been changed since the last update that shuffled around those panels a bit.

There's other places that orbit a belt cluster, but I think they're all asteroid bases so this, as an outpost is more unique.

Top Bottom