Elite / Frontier Sound In Frontier - Those words dont go in the same sentence these days!!!

Hi.

Me and Terry have been trying to get the sound working in his copy of frontier. His soundcard works fine in Win95 so its definately not broken. He's tried all the options you get when you run frontier in DOS, none of them work.

Weve tried altering the soundcard files, and the autoexec file.

I remember reading somewhere on the net somethign to do with sound in frontier. But that seems to have disappeared.

Back in the day, I used have a SoundBlaster 16Bit, dos programs used to work fine with sound, but that was a computer from a retailer where all then drivers were setup by a professional.

This could be a memory issue, although 16 megs is more than enough to run a few drivers and a game in Dos.

I really wish I had an old PC to run this game on, but I will invest in one soon :D

Has anyone got any good tips?

I am really ed off with DosBox at the moment so I am not even going down that road (btw I should tell you lot that I absolutely hate programs like dosbox, so if you have any questions about frontier and dosbox, ask on the DosBox forums)

I really appreciate everyones help. Thanks.

By the way I forgot to mention one detail.

Terry wants to play it in DOS (he has dos 5.0)

and I mean TOTALLY DOS not windows, DOS.

The way all us Frontier veterans remember it.

Dosbox imo is the easiest way to play frontier.

Otherwise, you can donwload glFrontier, wich run quite good on modern machines, but there are some bugs:

- The depth correction it's still not perfect, sometimes you can see landing gear even if camera view is above the ship.

- The planets looks totally flat, due some problem imo with OpenGL. The same problem makes stars look black or green.:confused:

the gl version works well on my pc's also the amiga version is ok too.
DOS is what my grandma uses:p

Top Bottom