Astronomy / Space Space is illogical

Its not the black hole that creates the light, bit it's accretion disc of super heated gas and sometimes from gamma ray bursts
White holes are 70s scifi nonsense
Also Kevin "Hercules" Sorbo survived 300 years near a black hole - beat that.

Space is illogical

Actually ED is probably the game with the most accurate and realistic portrayal of space ever so far (SpaceEngine is better at that but it is not a game).

Black Hole is making a lot of light... Even if it's eating all stuffs (even light can't escape). - Not logic

No. The accretion disc is what emits the light, and accretion discs are (not yet?) modelled in the game. What you see in the game is not even the black hole itself, but the event horizon, a virtual sphere around the black hole that marks the distance at which the escape velocity equals the speed of light.

A massive black hole is in the center of each galaxy - logic

Which is exactly what the game has. Search for "Sagittarius A*" in the galaxy map. :)

Worm hole is made from a black hole (entrance) and white hole (exit). In theory it look great to travel long distance in space, but there is no way to find which black hole is linked to which white hole. - Not logic?

Yes this is a real hypothesis, but it is not proven, plus any matter falling into the black hole gets torn apart long before even touching the actual black hole. If black holes are the entrances to wormholes, the only thing you may be able to ever send through is radio signals, and even then it is questionable whether they would come out at the other end in some decipherable form.

If you are close to a black hole in a space ship, someone from a planet will see you like if the time has stopped (time is contracted), so he will see your space ship at the same exact location for years and years. But from your point of view (in the space ship) you will travel normally with the black hole gravity taking you. So I was thinking, if you are near a black hole and return back to your planet, will you be back in like 2'000'000'000.... years or you will be duplicated, like you will see your ship stopped near the black hole?

Yes, and how exactly should this time dilation be simulated in multiplayer? This is simply not feasable for the game and therefore consciously omitted.

A lot of stuffs about relativity doesn't make sens (or too complicated?).

Maybe too complicated for you. :D

Yes, and how exactly should this time dilation be simulated in multiplayer? This is simply not feasable for the game and therefore consciously omitted.

Oh my goodness.. could you imagine if they managed to figure out how to do that? Head towards the Horizon and you watch a players ship just .. stop.. but on their end, they're still moving. Man that would look insane.

So dense that it captures all matter. Even light cannot escape the gravitational pull. Yes, Light is considered Matter. Even so this light is what illuminates a Black Hole which goes back to what the others say about it's ring.
To be clear, light (electromagnetic radiation) is not what laymen would consider matter - it's not composed of baryons. Photons are massless particles (which is how they travel at the speed of light - particles with mass cannot) which transmit the electromagnetic force. Gravity affects light because photons travel in straight lines through spacetime. Mass (and hence gravity) deforms spacetime, so a straight line through spacetime can actually be bent. This is how Einstein rings (gravitational lenses) work.

I think I read somewhere it's actually THREE but I don't have any evidence to confirm this. Essentially it's the mass that keeps the Galaxy more or less held together as it spins preventing things from being flung off into dark space. (Probably still happens anyway but since it's more or less a formation. They're holding most of us here.)
Estimates of the mass of Sagittarius A* put it between 2.2 and 4.5 million solar masses, with its companions in the range of thousands of solar masses (Wikipedia is awesome). It's not the black holes that hold the galaxy together. It's the mutual attraction between all of the matter in the galaxy (including the dark matter) that holds it together. There is far more mass in the galaxy than just the black holes at the centre, although supermassive black holes will tend to either form at the centre of a galaxy due to that region having the highest density of matter, or drift towards the centre of attraction.

Last edited:
You mean like : nothing can move faster than light?

I wouldn't have minded if Braben had included a lot more Newton though.

I don't think anything in Braben's game can move faster than the speed of light. He has the value, C... but the speed of light is instantaneous.

I'm certainly not criticising anything about the game, even acknowledging the fact that you're right when he also ignores the work of Isaac Newton. This is a game. A game needs certain concessions to make it playable. I don't think I'd enjoy a game where I'd have to spend hours matching velocity vectors before I could take a potshot with my lasers.

Last edited:

careBear1

Banned
Yes .... everything moves at the cosmic speed limit (the speed of light) in space-time. Nothing faster; nothing slower. ;-) As evolved monkeys in a low speed, low force environment, there was presumably no evolutionary advantage in perceiving anything other than a shadow of the underlying reality - so we perceive space as separate from time, time as universal etc etc

Last edited:
Space never breaks the rules, we just don't understand all the rules.

I have said this before many times. There are explanations for the phenomena OP puts forward, some of which I know, some of which I don't. But it goes to show how mind blowing the universe we live in is.

It is like that age old argument that "in terms of physics, a bumblebee should be unable to fly". Okay, now we do know where we went wrong in calculations and have established they should be able to, but the bottom line should always be...if you are observing a bee fly, the chances are that it is indeed flying ;)

And in the same capacity, hopefully we'll uncover more and more of the theory behind this phenomenal place we live.

To be clear, light (electromagnetic radiation) is not what laymen would consider matter - it's not composed of baryons. Photons are massless particles (which is how they travel at the speed of light - particles with mass cannot) which transmit the electromagnetic force. Gravity affects light because photons travel in straight lines through spacetime. Mass (and hence gravity) deforms spacetime, so a straight line through spacetime can actually be bent. This is how Einstein rings (gravitational lenses) work.

Estimates of the mass of Sagittarius A* put it between 2.2 and 4.5 million solar masses, with its companions in the range of thousands of solar masses (Wikipedia is awesome). It's not the black holes that hold the galaxy together. It's the mutual attraction between all of the matter in the galaxy (including the dark matter) that holds it together. There is far more mass in the galaxy than just the black holes at the centre, although supermassive black holes will tend to either form at the centre of a galaxy due to that region having the highest density of matter, or drift towards the centre of attraction.

Fair enough.

Apologies for any redundancy with Monkey's answers (which I totally agree with)
A Black Hole is created when Supergiant Star collapses in on itself. It's mass is so great it can't support itself and so collapses inward created a super dense gravity well.
That is the presumed method of creation for most stellar-mass black holes. There are competing hypothesis' for super-massive and intermediate black holes.

So dense that it captures all matter. Even light cannot escape the gravitational pull. Yes, Light is considered Matter.
It is not. Light has no resting mass and is not composed of baryons.

Even so this light is what illuminates a Black Hole which goes back to what the others say about it's ring.
You cannot illuminate anything inside an event horizon.

The accretion disk can simply be viewed as its own thing; which is formed by the black hole.

It's only illogical if you take it to mean that wormholes are one way. They are not. They work both ways as opposed to a Black Hole which would just paste you into a Katamari Ball. A very tiny superdense one. It might be possible to map wormholes if one was able to travel through it and then somehow send out a beacon that would be picked up and triangulated though normal space but that might take years to map out depending on where the wormhole takes you.
If wormholes do actually occur in reality; you still cannot move matter through them (darn Einstein).

It's not that bad but time does get warped around Black Holes and Wormholes because they warp Time as well as Space. The movie Interstellar covers this pretty well when they muck around near Gargantia, a local blackhole for they system they were exploring. Time will slow down the closer you get to a Black Hole where 6 minutes in an inner band would be akin to 6 hours in an outer band. Which could mean 6 years pass in normal space.
Interstellar actually did a pretty terrible job with relativity; though they get props for being one of the few movies to acknowledge that it is a thing in the first place.

The team in Interstellar spends 5 minutes on the surface of a water planet. By the time they return to their ship in orbit outside the event horizon, 23 years have passed in normal space. (Just to give you an idea. I have no idea what the actual times were off the top of my head.)
You cannot exit an event horizon... that's the definition of an event horizon.

And their mothership was in orbit of the planet. It should have experienced the same time dilation as the planet itself (minus dilation caused by the planet's gravity gradient).

No you wouldn't get 'duplicated' as that would imply timetravel into the past which can't be done. Time just passes differently for you. What is seconds to you will be years to someone else.
It is of course far worse than that. Type isn't just faster or slower, it's also different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_paradox

Most (nearly all) of what I see regarding the Universe are theories. Theories (some of which may be closer to fact, but not fully understood or defined to be fact) based on observation and mental experiments. Some of these theories are supported by what we can currently observe and/or based on our current understanding of Physics and Mathematics.

You don't understand the words you are using. The only relationship between "theory" and "fact" is that a theory may contain or be based on facts.

You could replace the word "fact" with "observation", and the relationship may become more clear.

Observations are things you see "a rock fell". Theories are models that explain observations and predict them (when I drop another rock it will fall, and here's why)

I see the same equivocation made with "law" all the time. A law describes the observation (such as the rate of change in speed of a dropping rock) .

Fact - something we measured happening
Law - a mathematical description of what we measured
Theory - The underpinnings of how and why the thing happened.

Actually ED is probably the game with the most accurate and realistic portrayal of space ever so far (SpaceEngine is better at that but it is not a game).
The most accurate map of the galaxy perhaps. It's far from the best portrayal of space (Kerbal has that beaten easily)

Yes this is a real hypothesis, but it is not proven, plus any matter falling into the black hole gets torn apart long before even touching the actual black hole. If black holes are the entrances to wormholes, the only thing you may be able to ever send through is radio signals, and even then it is questionable whether they would come out at the other end in some decipherable form.
Touching the actual black hole may actually be nonsensical.

On massive black holes, that gravity gradient at the event horizon is pretty soft. Though something like radiation may kill you; spegettification would not be a problem at the event horizon on these massive black holes.

Synchronicity is a bigger problem. Simple dilation could be done by slowing the "tic" of the game's clock.

I don't think anything in Braben's game can move faster than the speed of light. He has the value, C... but the speed of light is instantaneous.
Light moves a 180,000 miles / second. This is described with the constant c

Your statement is wrong.

I'm certainly not criticising anything about the game, even acknowledging the fact that you're right when he also ignores the work of Isaac Newton. This is a game. A game needs certain concessions to make it playable. I don't think I'd enjoy a game where I'd have to spend hours matching velocity vectors before I could take a potshot with my lasers.

I don't know... it could be fun. I enjoy KSP and Independence Wars.

Read a book like Hegemony and tell me there's no way to make that combat into a fun game.

No it's not. C has a well-defined speed (the speed of light in a vacuum.)

It's 299,792.458 KM/S

You may have chopped my quote a little too severely. I said that in David Braben's game, the speed of light is instantaneous.

It's why we get instantaneous communications, and although he mentions the constant, C, in the game, his spaceships don't have any problems travelling faster than that speed...

... because every speed is okay, because every speed in his game is acceptable, because it's all slower than instantaneous.

- - - - - - - -

I don't know... it could be fun. I enjoy KSP and Independence Wars.

Read a book like Hegemony and tell me there's no way to make that combat into a fun game.

You could well be right. It could be an interesting game, but it's not Elite. I'll have a look at Hegemony. Who's the author?

Last edited:
You may have chopped my quote a little too severely. I said that in David Braben's game, the speed of light is instantaneous.

It's why we get instantaneous communications, and although he mentions the constant, C, in the game, his spaceships don't have any problems travelling faster than that speed...

... because every speed is okay, because every speed in his game is acceptable, because it's all slower than instantaneous.

I can't and won't comment on Braben's outlook on the game here, but I can say that the theory the FSD is based on allows FTL travel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Never say never.
It was only 150 years or so ago that it was considered impossible to break the speed of sound and live through the experience.
My college astronomy classes of 30 years ago were prating that such phenomena as hot jupiters were impossible. (I still have my textbooks)
My personal feelings are that the "FTL is impossible" crowd will be joining the lunar landing hoaxers and the Flat Earth society in ignobility. (Probably not in my lifetime, mores the pity.)
I figure theory of relativity is correct *within its parameters*. Looking *outside* its parameters is the key to understanding black holes, FTL, and suchlike.
I'm thinking Travis Taylor as (very) opposed to scientology.

Top Bottom