Space War [Oculus Rift Space Combat Game]

Hi there I'm a big fan of Elite, but didn't sign up to the Kickstarter, I must admit I was tempted but it didn't quite happen.

The problem is I have become addicted to trying to make games so much so that I am making a simple space combat game. But there is a catch it's made specifically for the Oculus Rift.

I know you can get immersed in playing space games just in front of the screen but you only need to turn your head and there is the rest of your room.

With the Rift, turn your head and you look out into space over that side of your spaceship.

The best example of this was the show stealing EVR demo, from the makers of EVE.

After seeing this and having bought a developers edition of the Oculus Rift and finding out that it was not available I just had to make one of my own.

So Space War was created.

Note it's still a Work In Progress and Rough round the edges.

But I would recommend to any Elite/Sim fans you need to have a go with the Rift even the SD Dev version, it's the difference between being there and looking at a photo.

Anyway Space War is free to play Rift only and supports basic Multi-player.

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQtRTghVBI

I'm currently working on a Battleship so that players can have more of a the feeling of being part of a large space battle.

Hopefully if you have a Rift you can give it a whirl and get some practice in, only a few months until March 2014!

The consumer rift should be out next year so imagine playing Elite in HD in full immersion VR :eek::)

PS any and all feedback welcome.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Moved to space sim section. :D

I've left a redirect for you as well.

The only thing I am worried about the Occulus Rift for is

1. The price here in Australia

When our dollar falls sellers say "oh it's the aussie dollar" but when it goes up and is 1:1 how come the prices does NOT come down when they get NEW stock....... they don't like that question of course. <sigh>

Anyway I am guessing it will be around $500+ or so here. I'd love one for sure but I think it will be too expensive for a while.

The only thing I am worried about the Occulus Rift for is

1. The price here in Australia

When our dollar falls sellers say "oh it's the aussie dollar" but when it goes up and is 1:1 how come the prices does NOT come down when they get NEW stock....... they don't like that question of course. <sigh>

Anyway I am guessing it will be around $500+ or so here. I'd love one for sure but I think it will be too expensive for a while.

Same story with the Euro mate...
Anyway, they are supposed to sell it for 300 US$

I guess it should be around 350/400 € (350 € being equivalent to 465 US$ according to Google....)

Anyway I really hope to be able to get one and to play Elite with it (and Eve VR oc).
I just discovered this game yesterday ^^!

But I was a huge fan of Elite, so...here I am :D

Same story with the Euro mate...
Anyway, they are supposed to sell it for 300 US$

I guess it should be around 350/400 € (350 € being equivalent to 465 US$ according to Google....)

Anyway I really hope to be able to get one and to play Elite with it (and Eve VR oc).
I just discovered this game yesterday ^^!

But I was a huge fan of Elite, so...here I am :D

By the time import fees/taxes/GST/the importer the reseller it will be around $500-$600 here <sigh> :(

Unless they are region locked, people will order it themselves...MUCH cheaper but you risk no warranty though unless Occulus will offer the warranty. I hope they do not geolock/region lock. ie refuse to sell direct...that would NOT be good and is hopefully against their ethos. ;)

If you want current conversions go to www.xe.com

This is just based on my experience purchasing the developer edition but I just paid via the website, the price was converted from dollars to gbp by my bank.

The main addition being international delivery.

Ok there was a significant delay between order and delivery.

The rift arrived via delivery with no extra charge, Oculus set up some kind of batching regional delivery process that helped alleviate problems with delivery charges.

Hopefully they will sell direct with the consumer rift.

Check out the latest elite dangerous demo, 3d cockpits ideal for the rift:D.

http://youtu.be/VE8B4KptyVI

Last edited:
Top Bottom