Spaceships vs man?

Sorry about this post.

The longer I play Odyssey, the more I stop understanding what kind of game it is Elite. I played Elite1 on Spectrum (199x), played Frontier on Amiga (20x) and before that I played ED since 2015.

I like the game, ships, space, etc. Before Odyssey came out I thought it would just be an add-on like Horizons. Got the planets and the means to move around them and it added to the space and ships game.

But what do I see now ? I can play in a spacesuit without buying ships at all. I need to collect improvements and weapons, etc. for each spacesuit for a long time.

Why am I completing missions on the ship can not change the goods received for the goods for the suit? Or just choose what I will be given as a reward for the mission I completed on my ship.

I do not know why, but I have the impression that now it is two separate games.

Another old timer here... been playing Elite on Commodore 64 back in the day. No other game left such an impression on me as Elite did!

Fast forward to today... I still love it to pieces but with Odyssey I've had similar thoughts. I am curious how I will play once the novelty of being on foot wears off. I am an explorer most of the time, which means a heavily engineered Asp Explorer so can get around in the Galaxy. When Odyssey arrived, I find myself doing the "On foot" missions most of the time. Does it feel like another game? Yes and no. Yes because it is so new, the ability to WALK around the Elite Universe, and No because it is still the same old galaxy with it's wonders.

Dunno, really, but you do have a point saying that the goods obtained in one mode of playing should be useful in the other. Interchangeable.

it works this way because someone convinced the people in control over this game that they have to make absolutely everything optional and opt-in.

Dont want to do combat? sure you can run away from the npcs.
Dont want to care about aliens, fine, just dont join the USS's that have them.
Dont want to deal with powers and powerplay - fine pretend it doesn't exist
dont want to deal with the details of the BGS, that's fine there are all of the systems in all variations like 1-2 jumps away from you at any point
Want to avoid other humans, that's easy.
Want to make all your money doing combat - the npcs will be super easy for you to farm
want to make all your money trucking stuff - infinite goods and no risk
want to mine and make tons of credits - you can do that and skip the pirates if you want.
Want to ignore the narrative - fine.
Want to avoid planets altogether - sure.
want to make a ton of credits without caring about missions so you can just mindlessly grind - why not.
want to use ships that have no business doing the activity you're using it in - Hell yes, we've balanced all the ships so they're almost all equally viable doing practically any activity. Conda dogfighting a vulture? You bet. Want to fly a small ship and solo something 20 times your size - perfectly fine.

etc etc

and so with walking ... dont want to walk - no problem.. you can completely ignore it. And vice versa for not wanting to be in a ship

you can't integrate and properly balance when everything is optional.

Oh man I was hoping this was a video of someone using their ship to ram and kill ground forces.
Um... I tried that... all hell broke loose when on foot in some settlement - I raised all the alarms - and I managed to run away with my ship badly shot. After getting the shields back, I flew back, hovered a couple of hundred meters away and let loose with beam lasers, trying to kill the guards/commandos. Really hard to hit 'em with ship's lasers, but I managed to kill a few before my ship was badly shot again. By the same guards who dealt much more damage than the skimmers, by the way.

Um... I tried that... all hell broke loose when on foot in some settlement - I raised all the alarms - and I managed to run away with my ship badly shot. After getting the shields back, I flew back, hovered a couple of hundred meters away and let loose with beam lasers, trying to kill the guards/commandos. Really hard to hit 'em with ship's lasers, but I managed to kill a few before my ship was badly shot again. By the same guards who dealt much more damage than the skimmers, by the way.

Should have tried carpet bombing with Missiles:devilish:

1622790956893.png

it works this way because someone convinced the people in control over this game that they have to make absolutely everything optional and opt-in.

Dont want to do combat? sure you can run away from the npcs.
Dont want to care about aliens, fine, just dont join the USS's that have them.
Dont want to deal with powers and powerplay - fine pretend it doesn't exist
dont want to deal with the details of the BGS, that's fine there are all of the systems in all variations like 1-2 jumps away from you at any point
Want to avoid other humans, that's easy.
Want to make all your money doing combat - the npcs will be super easy for you to farm
want to make all your money trucking stuff - infinite goods and no risk
want to mine and make tons of credits - you can do that and skip the pirates if you want.
Want to ignore the narrative - fine.
Want to avoid planets altogether - sure.
want to make a ton of credits without caring about missions so you can just mindlessly grind - why not.
want to use ships that have no business doing the activity you're using it in - Hell yes, we've balanced all the ships so they're almost all equally viable doing practically any activity. Conda dogfighting a vulture? You bet. Want to fly a small ship and solo something 20 times your size - perfectly fine.

etc etc

and so with walking ... dont want to walk - no problem.. you can completely ignore it. And vice versa for not wanting to be in a ship

you can't integrate and properly balance when everything is optional.
I think you're not quite right.
For example, I want to kill the Thargoids, but to do so I had to overpower myself and crawl through the bases of the guards in the SRV.
And you just imagine that the SRV had to be assembled by parts from their engineers?
You just have to decide what the game is the main and what is auxiliary.

Sorry about this post.

The longer I play Odyssey, the more I stop understanding what kind of game it is Elite. I played Elite1 on Spectrum (199x), played Frontier on Amiga (20x) and before that I played ED since 2015.

I like the game, ships, space, etc. Before Odyssey came out I thought it would just be an add-on like Horizons. Got the planets and the means to move around them and it added to the space and ships game.

But what do I see now ? I can play in a spacesuit without buying ships at all. I need to collect improvements and weapons, etc. for each spacesuit for a long time.

Why am I completing missions on the ship can not change the goods received for the goods for the suit? Or just choose what I will be given as a reward for the mission I completed on my ship.

Space legs have won. That's basically all.
Yeah, I would have liked more atmospherics and space stuff as well, but the legs are quite nice, even if you do no shooting at all.
There's also the planetary tech which I absolutely love (for discussions and ambivalent opinions consult the many other threads on the forum and elsewhere...)

Space legs have won. That's basically all.
Yeah, I would have liked more atmospherics and space stuff as well, but the legs are quite nice, even if you do no shooting at all.
There's also the planetary tech which I absolutely love (for discussions and ambivalent opinions consult the many other threads on the forum and elsewhere...)
As correctly noted here, I would like to combine modes. Why in the end to get 5 defense plans I can not exchange them for 10 hearts of Thargoids?

I think you're not quite right.
For example, I want to kill the Thargoids, but to do so I had to overpower myself and crawl through the bases of the guards in the SRV.
And you just imagine that the SRV had to be assembled by parts from their engineers?
You just have to decide what the game is the main and what is auxiliary.

You can kill thargoids all day with the basic anti-xeno weapons. You only need to engineer your ship if you want to make it easy on killing the bigger guys.

But you can say the same thing for regular npcs too depending on how fast you want to kill them or how bad you are at piloting.

engineers dont really exist as a role or activity in of themselves. They're like a handicap activity you can do to facilitate doing actual game activities . Completely ignorable - just like guardian stuff.

the point is, you can decide what is "main" and what is "auxillary" for basically any thing you can think of in the game. Hence, everything is optional. And so, nothing can be properly balanced or fully integrated. It all has to be ignorable if desired.

As correctly noted here, I would like to combine modes. Why in the end to get 5 defense plans I can not exchange them for 10 hearts of Thargoids?
True.

There must be a number of dodgey dealers scattered throughout the bubble that provide a mix'n'match bartering Shop.

You can kill thargoids all day with the basic anti-xeno weapons. You only need to engineer your ship if you want to make it easy on killing the bigger guys.

But you can say the same thing for regular npcs too depending on how fast you want to kill them or how bad you are at piloting.

engineers dont really exist as a role or activity in of themselves. They're like a handicap activity you can do to facilitate doing actual game activities . Completely ignorable - just like guardian stuff.

the point is, you can decide what is "main" and what is "auxillary" for basically any thing you can think of in the game. Hence, everything is optional. And so, nothing can be properly balanced or fully integrated. It all has to be ignorable if desired.
:(
Engineers are not required ? Don't you play the Open Game? Even in single player game half of the pirates will explain to YOU what engineer means ;)

FD decided an attempt to summon the moneybag clouds with an FPS bolt-on was more important than building up a game with a decades long pedigree.

Elite will forever be stained by Odyssey, hopefully FD corrects it's path. Look how fast the Diablo franchise went from being sacred to hated. We'll see if Braben rescues his child from a precarious position, or leaves it to turn tricks at truckstops.

FD decided an attempt to summon the moneybag clouds with an FPS bolt-on was more important than building up a game with a decades long pedigree.
Bolt on? I like it a lot. Odyssey combines ships with on foot and vehicle gameplay. Settlement activity also influences the background sim.

With your attitude we'd never get walking in ships.

Bolt on? I like it a lot. Odyssey combines ships with on foot and vehicle gameplay. Settlement activity also influences the background sim.

With your attitude we'd never get walking in ships.
I think you're wrong.
Take GTA, for example. There cars are expendable material, you can easily take any car for its purpose and task, as it is just a means.

I already wrote above in the Elite, when the planets have made no problem to get SRV. Because in the space simulator Elite main thing space and ships, and SRV just transport.

After all, the world invented money as a medium of exchange, otherwise everyone would only have to work in the food industry.

I for an engineer played a lot of СZ on my feet and got promoted to a new rank - mercenary.
If I will be on the ships involved in СZ (as in the horizons) I have a mercenary rank will grow?

Top Bottom