Elite / Frontier Spam Problems

Yes, it is quite annoying. :mad: I don't remember how the registration was on this forum, but on some other forums you'd have to write in a code of number and letters that appear in a picture, to avoid spam bots to auto register. Keep up the good work! :)

Prycon said:
Yes, it is quite annoying. :mad: I don't remember how the registration was on this forum, but on some other forums you'd have to write in a code of number and letters that appear in a picture, to avoid spam bots to auto register. Keep up the good work! :)

Yes, a captcha. I do seem to remember vBulletin having them, although I'm more familiar with those in phpBB... However, the simpler ones are already broken; any decent anti-captcha program knows how to read the characters from them.

The recommended way would be to look at those types of captcha that haven't been broken yet, and if vBulletin doesn't directly support one of those, add some code for it.

I prefer the forums that when you register the site sends you an email that you must reply to and enter a pass code into the forum to activate it so you can post messages. That way it stops the bots and makes sure you have a valid email address and less chance for spamming.

yep - great idea - I certianly don't mind taking a little extra time to sign on if it avoids the general pap generating scum of the interweb. As an aside 'they' reckon that 90% of the web spam is generated by 5 indiviuals most of which are in eastern Europe.

I suspect that for some people that wouldn't be so bad :) Still I can't bring myself to indulge in something that bears more than a passing resemblance to dog food.

WIKIPEDIA said:
In the United States, the residents of the state of Hawaii and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, in which cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.

perhaps it would be prudent to log Ip addresses for each post.
it seems that a lot of spam messages are from people whos first language is not english. Ip ranges are handed out to isps by arin, none of these ranges overlap. if we knew where the posters are from those messages could be dynamicaly filtered into a different section of the forum. People who are genuine posters from within an affected region could be given a login that bypasses the filtering.

Those people with static ip addresses will be sorted out immediatley.

nah - best bet is just to make it too time consuming for them to waste their time. Pic code verification followed up by an e-mail sent to your e-mail account should nip it in the bud.

Rottingly annoying tho, especially the ones that seem to come from someone with an issue and out of a desire to be helpful people answer. Seems quite pointless really.

What possibly possesses someone to spend time doing these things???

You have to bear in mind, that the spam posts are almost always automatic. Once a spammer has found a board, they just start their script which will keep creating new accounts and making posts.

Please note that even though this is my first post, I am not a spammer. ;)

Kryten said:
You have to bear in mind, that the spam posts are almost always automatic. Once a spammer has found a board, they just start their script which will keep creating new accounts and making posts.

Please note that even though this is my first post, I am not a spammer. ;)

Nah, I got that, but they aren't even attempting to sell anything. My Gmail account gets stacks of really random exerpts from books and stuff from random adresses and there is just no point to them. Dunno, I think they need a slap - it's just not required extra work for moderators like yourself BCTrainers and Michael.

Cheers guys.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Merging with the existing thread. The spam issues are as annoying to us as for you - we have to go round deleting them :) We're currently looking into a range of measures to reduce the quantity of spam.

Michael

Excellent ... But going back a couple of posts... in all seriousness I wonder what the "point" of spam is as well.

Sure, the ones that are trying to sell something (even though they're instantly recognisable as non genuine) or the ones trying to get info or scam you in some way, I can see what dirty little scheme the perpetrators are up to.

What I don't get tho are the ones that are just useless email for no reason. Unless they contain malicious script that has long since been stripped out by ISPs before it even got to its destination.

I don't even get spam on my main inbox at home because its filtered before its delivered, but I have other email boxes that just get full of it.....

Top Bottom