Special Projects in Planet Zoo

I would like to know if someone want to make a special Project in the Game. Like building something Special or something with Genetics.

I have a Plan for selective Breeding, where I will try to breed Zebras that look like Quaggas (a Project that exists in real life). I even have a List of other Animals for selective Breeding

I have the idea for a zoo that uses "a life without humans" as a theme. I plan to craft the shelters for the animals like ruins from people. Basically, the zoo would show the visitors what the world would look like if animals took over again.

Another idea of a zoo is a fairyland zoo. Still have to plan that out a little more. A lot of players will do section zoos, were they divide the zoo into sections like africa, europe, asia and so on. I'll probably do a zoo like that as well, but since it's such a popular concept, I thrive for some other ideas as well.

I have the idea for a zoo that uses "a life without humans" as a theme. I plan to craft the shelters for the animals like ruins from people. Basically, the zoo would show the visitors what the world would look like if animals took over again.
I really like this Idea. It would be awesome to see Screenshots of it when the Game comes out.

Last edited:
I would like to know if someone want to make a special Project in the Game. Like building something Special or something with Genetics.

I have a Plan for selective Breeding, where I will try to breed Zebras that look like Quaggas (a Project that exists in real life). I even have a List of other Animals for selective Breeding

I don't think the game allows crossbreeding and I don't think you can introduce a new species in that way.

It's a good idea, but I doubt the game is technically capable of doing so.

I don't think the game allows crossbreeding and I don't think you can introduce a new species in that way.

It's a good idea, but I doubt the game is technically capable of doing so.
Crossbreeding and Selective Breeding are very different. Crossbreeding means two Species are breeding together. Selective Breeding means only one Species but the Animals for breeding are chosen because of their Appearance to reach a special Breeding Goal. Of course I must hope that the Colour and Stripe pattern-Mutations I need are possible in the Game.
I think too that there wouldn't be Crossbreeding

Last edited:
Of course I must hope that the Colour and Stripe pattern-Mutations I need are possible in the Game.

Sounds out of the question to me.

I know every Zebra has its own unique pattern in the wild, but I doubt this will be the case in Planet Zoo.
I think it is impossible to create a Quagga sort of creature from a zebra through any kind of breeding in-game.

Every zebra will have it's individual pattern, though. I'll also try selective breeding in game. I like darker lions more, for example and will probably try to breed towarss that. :)

Every zebra will have it's individual pattern, though. I'll also try selective breeding in game. I like darker lions more, for example and will probably try to breed towarss that. :)

I hope there will be color variations for other species so that you can have your darker lions. I would also love to see albino and melanistic animals, and I have always wanted a game to include the king cheetah, so I am hoping that this might be an option as well. If this stuff isn't in the base game or patched in at any point, I hope they release it as a DLC in the future. Lastly, I hope we have the option to sterilize animals to aid with selective breeding. Wildlife Park 3 has that option and I really appreciate it.

I know every Zebra has its own unique pattern in the wild, but I doubt this will be the case in Planet Zoo.

Maybe zebra patterns will be procedurally generated at birth so that no two look identical. I believe they have said that they all look unique, and I haven't seen anything that hints that there are only a set number of zebra stripe patterns, but I guess we'll see as we get more info. I wonder if they will apply the same thing to other striped or spotted animals, like tigers?

Last edited:
Maybe zebra patterns will be procedurally generated at birth so that no two look identical. I believe they have said that they all look unique, and I haven't seen anything that hints that there are only a set number of zebra stripe patterns, but I guess we'll see as we get more info. I wonder if they will apply the same thing to other striped or spotted animals, like tigers?

I doubt they would make enough textures to make sure every zebra has it's own pattern. And procedurally generated textures sound way to difficult to me for this game.

I don't recall them saying every zebra is unique in appearance. And I know there are traits that can differ per animal, but I suppose that is all based upon behaviour and health, not on appearance.

I might be wrong of course, but to me this sounds way to extensive to be a thing.

I don't recall them saying every zebra is unique in appearance.

I read an article that says the following:
Species like giraffes and zebras have unique patterns that are passed down based on the genetics of their parents; no two animals are ever the same.

It's not an official statement from the developers, but it is from someone who had a chance to meet with the developers, so I'm hoping it's true.

I've found a second article that goes as far as to state that no animal within any species in the game will look exactly alike.
For example, no two animals in Planet Zoo look the same, even within the same species.

Last edited:
I read an article that says the following:

It's not an official statement from the developers, but it is from someone who had a chance to meet with the developers, so I'm hoping it's true.

I've found a second article that goes as far as to state that no animal within any species in the game will look exactly alike.

Looking at the pictures the article provided, it appears the textures of the animals are the same.

Pattern on the giraffes right hip are the same. The cheetah has the same 2 spots on the inside of the elbow.
To me, it still appears to be the same texture per animal.

EDIT: I now see @Matteo's video, which appears to prove otherwise. (y)

Top Bottom