Species Field Guide - Gigantoraptor

Francesca Falcini

Senior Community Manager
Welcome back, Park Managers, to our latest Species Field Guide.

In this series, we discuss some of the fascinating prehistoric species you're able to care for in Jurassic World Evolution 2, including both familiar faces and some new ones, and we're really excited to be able to continue sharing and highlighting them!

Today, we'll be taking a closer look at one of the formidable predators coming your way in the Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack - Gigantoraptor.

With an impressive coat of feathers and large, elongated legs, Gigantoraptor is sure to be an intimidating presence in your parks. Initially discovered in Inner Mongolia in 2005, it is the largest discovered Oviraptorosaur in existence; we're sure you can see why it's name means 'Giant Thief'.

JWE2_GigaClose.jpg

Don't let the fact that Gigantoraptor's bottom jaws were thought to be toothless fool you - with a fierce beak common in most Oviraptorosaurs, and powerful legs intended to allow it to build and maintain speed over prolonged periods, its prey stood no chance.

Despite its foreboding size, Gigantoraptors will need some company in your enclosures, so be sure to have a few of its own kind in the same space - you don't want to see unhappy Gigantoraptors in your parks!

We hope you enjoyed this introduction to Gigantoraptor, and we're looking forward to seeing how you incorporate them into your parks.
Find out more about what's coming in the Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack & Free Update 8 here, and don't forget to wishlist the Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack here!

If you're curious what Gigantoraptor might look like in your parks, you can also take a closer look in our Cretaceous Predator Pack & Free Update 8 Preview Livestream on 29 November at 4pm GMT on our Twitch and YouTube channels.

The Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack launches 30 November.

I have 3 questions:

1. The pack chase behaviour is just medium-large sized carnivores chasing dinosaurs who cant defend themselfes like edmontosaurus, parasaurolophus and gallimimus or they can attack defensive dinosaurs together as a pack like stegosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus? and do they attack sauropods together?

2. The automated hatcheries, if you hatch 4 triceratops with various colors and put 4 as their max population, will they hatch again after they die with their own respective color or the hatchery will just use the last color you selected to replace the ones who died?

3. The feathers of therizinosaurus and feathered t-rex from biosyn expansion are fixed?

Welcome back, Park Managers, to our latest Species Field Guide.

In this series, we discuss some of the fascinating prehistoric species you're able to care for in Jurassic World Evolution 2, including both familiar faces and some new ones, and we're really excited to be able to continue sharing and highlighting them!

Today, we'll be taking a closer look at one of the formidable predators coming your way in the Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack - Gigantoraptor.

With an impressive coat of feathers and large, elongated legs, Gigantoraptor is sure to be an intimidating presence in your parks. Initially discovered in Inner Mongolia in 2005, it is the largest discovered Oviraptorosaur in existence; we're sure you can see why it's name means 'Giant Thief'.

View attachment 375616

Don't let the fact that Gigantoraptor's bottom jaws were thought to be toothless fool you - with a fierce beak common in most Oviraptorosaurs, and powerful legs intended to allow it to build and maintain speed over prolonged periods, its prey stood no chance.

Despite its foreboding size, Gigantoraptors will need some company in your enclosures, so be sure to have a few of its own kind in the same space - you don't want to see unhappy Gigantoraptors in your parks!

We hope you enjoyed this introduction to Gigantoraptor, and we're looking forward to seeing how you incorporate them into your parks.
Find out more about what's coming in the Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack & Free Update 8 here, and don't forget to wishlist the Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack here!

If you're curious what Gigantoraptor might look like in your parks, you can also take a closer look in our Cretaceous Predator Pack & Free Update 8 Preview Livestream on 29 November at 4pm GMT on our Twitch and YouTube channels.

The Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack launches 30 November.
Really cool! 👏🏼

isnt it a herbivore
As I explained on the announcement thread, nobody knows, truly.

There have been studies in the past decade that indicate herbivory, but those same studies also say they can’t rule out the possibility of any carnivory as well. So, nobody knows truly if it’s a true herbivore like some smaller relatives are thought to have been, or an omnivore with predatory behavior. This DLC obviously explores the idea of it being the latter.

Last edited:
Its definitely an interesting species. What I'm curious about is did the developers make it a carnivore or an omnivore? Fossil evidence suggests that it had a different diet from its relatives. It has been suspected of being omnivorous based on the structure of its beak, which allowed it it bite through plants and possibly meat. I'm personally hoping that they made it omnivorous so it is more realistic.
Regardless, it will make a nice addition to the game.

Its definitely an interesting species. What I'm curious about is did the developers make it a carnivore or an omnivore? Fossil evidence suggests that it had a different diet from its relatives. It has been suspected of being omnivorous based on the structure of its beak, which allowed it it bite through plants and possibly meat. I'm personally hoping that they made it omnivorous so it is more realistic.
Regardless, it will make a nice addition to the game.
The teaser image for Update 8's new hatchery feature, which is shown only by big content creators, inadvertently shows the Gigantoraptor with the plant-meat icon, indicating omnivory.

As part of the Cretaceous Predator Pack, will the new Gigantoraptor require prey? Apologies if it sounded like a dumb question.

The Oviraptor that we are familiar with require both ground leaf and meat.

There is no telling what else the new Gigantoraptor will require, I am not saying in terms of other environmental needs, I am saying regarding its food requirements.

As part of the Cretaceous Predator Pack, will the new Gigantoraptor require prey? Apologies if it sounded like a dumb question.

There is no telling what else the new Gigantoraptor will require, I am not saying in terms of other environmental needs, I am saying regarding its food requirements.
We don't know, There's a good chance it could, but at the very least it will have the ability to eat goats.

I’m pretty sure it will, as it is a “Predator” pack, rather than just a “Carnivore” pack, after all.

As I explained on the announcement thread, nobody knows, truly.

There have been studies in the past decade that indicate herbivory, but those same studies also say they can’t rule out the possibility of any carnivory as well. So, nobody knows truly if it’s a true herbivore like some smaller relatives are thought to have been, or an omnivore with predatory behavior. This DLC obviously explores the idea of it being the latter.
maybe when it's put in a real life jurassic park we will know

I just want to make a quick update that I was wrong.

No, it won’t need prey, despite being part of a “predator” pack, because Frontier confirmed to content creator Evolution Square it can’t hunt, only fight, and very aggressively too. Admittedly, it is a bit disappointing for me that it can’t hunt small things, but it doesn’t change anything for me about wanting to see it. Because I still really want to check it out!

So, my feedback is that I, and only myself, don’t like that it can’t hunt tiny things like goats (at the very least) or something like that in-game, and not just be exclusively part of what real world described information has to say about it’s probable predatory behavior.

Last edited:
Top Bottom