Species Field Guide - Quetzalcoatlus

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Welcome back, Park Managers, to a new Species Field Guide!

In this series of articles, we're spotlighting some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles coming to Jurassic World Evolution 2: Dominion Biosyn Expansion on 14th of June. We are incredibly excited about everything we have to share in the coming days, and we hope you are too!

Last week we took a look at one of the land dinosaurs coming to the game with the new DLC: Pyroraptor. This week we're taking to the skies to check out a true titan, one of the largest known flying animals of all time: Quetzalcoatlus.

Named after the Aztec feathered serpent god, Quetzalcoatl, the first fossils of this feathered flier were discovered in Texas in 1971 by geology student Douglas Lawson. The specimen found there was believed to have had a massive wingspan, and later estimates have concluded that Quetzalcoatlus could have been the size of a Cessna light aircraft whilst in flight, or the size of a giraffe when walking on the ground. Due to its sheer size, it may have needed to jump up to 2.5 metres into the air in order to take flight with its powerful wings.

Once in the air it's believed it flew similarly to modern condors or vultures, climbing on warm currents and using their massive wings to glide in the air, rather than actively beating their wings to fly and maintain height.

JWE2Quetz_1920x1080_WM.jpg

In Jurassic World Evolution 2, Quetzalcoatlus will be housed in Aviaries alongside other flying reptiles. Given their size you'll need several Aviary buildings to meet their spatial requirements, but they can get along with other flying reptiles they share a territory with. Whilst generally peaceful, they won't hesitate to break out if they get uncomfortable in their area. Make sure they have enough open space, some sand and rocky ground underneath their feet, and enough food and water, and they shouldn't give you too much trouble.

Their diet will consist of fish, but escaped Quetzalcoatlus may also try to eat unsuspecting smaller dinosaurs (or maybe a guest or two). It's wise to keep a Capture Team ready in case there's a breakout! You may also see them perching on top of buildings if they get tired from all that flying.

Please be aware that Quetzalcoatlus won't be available in the expansion's Campaign levels, but will be available in Sandbox Mode!

We hope you've enjoyed this introduction to the magnificent Quetzalcoatlus. It will surely be a huge hit among your park guests! Will you be adding them to your parks?

The Jurassic World Evolution 2: Dominion Biosyn Expansion releases on 14 June. Share your thoughts about the new DLC in the comments and let us know what you think. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2! You can also join the conversation with the rest of the community on our forums!

Last edited:
Aside from the JWD Parasaurolophus, the Quetzalcoatlus probably has the best design of all the new animals. It really does look great here. I really like how it perches on the buildings too. I'm loving this addition.

I'm sad to see there's no mention of them eating goats. And I agree with the others that the ability to walk seems kind of important for an animal such as this. I think walking is probably the last big thing that's missing for aviary animals in the game now.

One thing bothers me though...
Why is its NECK BROKEN in the sitting/resting animation?!

1654698564077.png

😳 What an absolute hoss of a pterosaur. Well done Frontier on bringing this creature to life! You can really feel its size.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
I was hoping that it would eat from the meat feeder. Fish doesnt really suit it or the Dimorphodon.

Regardless, still really excited for this thing
Just wait until you see it emerge from a Hatchery!
Aside from the JWD Parasaurolophus, the Quetzalcoatlus probably has the best design of all the new animals. It really does look great here. I really like how it perches on the buildings too. I'm loving this addition.
Thanks LordTrilobite! :)
😳 What an absolute hoss of a pterosaur. Well done Frontier on bringing this creature to life! You can really feel its size.
It's biiiiig!

Welcome back, Park Managers, to a new Species Field Guide!

In this series of articles, we're spotlighting some of the incredible dinosaurs and reptiles coming to Jurassic World Evolution 2: Dominion Biosyn Expansion on 14th of June. We are incredibly excited about everything we have to share in the coming days, and we hope you are too!

Last week we took a look at one of the land dinosaurs coming to the game with the new DLC: Pyroraptor. This week we're taking to the skies to check out a true titan, one of the largest known flying animals of all time: Quetzalcoatlus.

Named after the Aztec feathered serpent god, Quetzalcoatl, the first fossils of this feathered flier were discovered in Texas in 1971 by geology student Douglas Lawson. The specimen found there was believed to have had a massive wingspan, and later estimates have concluded that Quetzalcoatlus could have been the size of a Cessna light aircraft whilst in flight, or the size of a giraffe when walking on the ground. Due to its sheer size, it may have needed to jump up to 2.5 metres into the air in order to take flight with its powerful wings.

Once in the air it's believed it flew similarly to modern condors or vultures, climbing on warm currents and using their massive wings to glide in the air, rather than actively beating their wings to fly and maintain height.

View attachment 309329

In Jurassic World Evolution 2, Quetzalcoatlus will be housed in Aviaries alongside other flying reptiles. Given their size you'll need several Aviary buildings to meet their spatial requirements, but they can get along with other flying reptiles they share a territory with. Whilst generally peaceful, they won't hesitate to break out if they get uncomfortable in their area. Make sure they have enough open space, some sand and rocky ground underneath their feet, and enough food and water, and they shouldn't give you too much trouble.

Their diet will consist of fish, but escaped Quetzalcoatlus may also try to eat unsuspecting smaller dinosaurs (or maybe a guest or two). It's wise to keep a Capture Team ready in case there's a breakout! You may also see them perching on top of buildings if they get tired from all that flying.

Please be aware that Quetzalcoatlus won't be available in the expansion's Campaign levels, but will be available in Sandbox Mode!

We hope you've enjoyed this introduction to the magnificent Quetzalcoatlus. It will surely be a huge hit among your park guests! Will you be adding them to your parks?

The Jurassic World Evolution 2: Dominion Biosyn Expansion releases on 14 June. Share your thoughts about the new DLC in the comments and let us know what you think. Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for all things Jurassic World Evolution 2! You can also join the conversation with the rest of the community on our forums!
Quetzalcoatlus looks great, but I do genuinely hope we get a lot of new animations, it hunting dinosaurs, and walking for this guy. I don't see a lot of it here so it raises some concern for me and others. Hope this will eventually get a change or we're proven wrong, would love to see this magnificent beast walk and hunt down some smaller land animals, would be amazing.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Quetzalcoatlus looks great, but I do genuinely hope we get a lot of new animations, it hunting dinosaurs, and walking for this guy. I don't see a lot of it here so it raises some concern for me and others. Hope this will eventually get a change or we're proven wrong, would love to see this magnificent beast walk and hunt down some smaller land animals, would be amazing.
Hey Bastion!

Hi there! The flying reptiles in Jurassic World Evolution 2 move around by flying. This also applies to the Quetzalcoatlus. Escaped Quetzalcoatlus may try to eat unsuspecting smaller dinosaurs (or maybe a guest or two). They may also go after goats.

Last edited:
Hey Bastion!

Hi there! The flying reptiles in Jurassic World Evolution 2 move around by flying. This also applies to the Quetzalcoatlus. Escaped Quetzalcoatlus may try to eat unsuspecting smaller dinosaurs (or maybe a guest or two).
How its possible flying reptiles dont get the most basic animations like walking? especially a giant flyer like quetz who spended must of his time walking?

Hey Bastion!

Hi there! The flying reptiles in Jurassic World Evolution 2 move around by flying. This also applies to the Quetzalcoatlus. Escaped Quetzalcoatlus may try to eat unsuspecting smaller dinosaurs (or maybe a guest or two). They may also go after goats.
That's really sad considering the fact Quetz probably spent a lot of its time on the ground. This is just as bad as adding a pyro without feathering.

With the DFW aviary being featured in the trailer, does this mean that particular aviary design was one created by BioSyn?

Top Bottom