Speculation on Newbie Space

For the sake of completeness, it looks like we have our answer. Matching up the Galmap shown in today's livestream, the new "Pilot's Federation District starting system" of Dromi is the currently unpopulated system Manu. While Manu currently has just a lone G2 star, it would appear that they have added a number of planets. The same would seem to be true of the rest of the new District: Otegine is the currently planetless Col 285 Sector XB-M a37-0, Matet is Wo 9732, etc. Interestingly, Wolfsegen is Col 285 Sector SV-N a36-1, which is currently one of those boring and usually-deserted "brown dwarf with some icy bodies" systems. I'll be curious to see if they add stations to the system as-is, or spin up new planets.

I wonder if there will be a mad rush to first discover and map those new bodies. :p
I think the answer was "yes"

I concur, but spotted a few others. Many are currently devoid of planets:

Azoth ------ Col 285 Sector SV-N A36-2
Dromi ------ Manu
Lia Fail ------ LFT 1482
Matet ------ WO 9732
Orna ------ Col 285 Sector XB-M A37-1
Otegine ------ Col 285 Sector XB-M A37-0
Sharur ------ LPM 734
Tarnkaafe ------ Col 285 Sector WB-M A37-0
Tyet ------ Col 285 Sector WB-M A37-1
Wolfsegen ------ Col 285 Sector SV-N A36-1

Ten seems to be it for new(b) permit locked systems, but there's also:

Arcadian ------ Col 285 Sector VQ-N A36-0
Desyne ------ Col 285 Sector YW-L A37-2
Gokcen ------ Col 285 Sector ED-K A38-2
Kanbaat ------ Col 285 Sector AI-K A38-2
Kinlang ------ Col 285 Sector VQ-N A36-1
Myropolic ------ Col 285 Sector YW-L A37-0
Rantii ------ Col 285 Sector YW-L A37-3
Rolli ------ Col 285 Sector TQ-N A36-3
Shinarui ------ Col 285 Sector WQ-N A36-0
Tsimsang ------ Col 285 Sector ZW-L A37-2
Tunchualik ------ Col 285 Sector YW-L A37-1
Volkova ------ Col 285 Sector ZW-L A37-0
Vuaka 352 ------ Col 285 Sector AI-K A38-0
Willbow ------ Col 285 Sector TQ-N A36-3
Zen Thusa ------ Col 285 Sector AX-L A37-0

And there's also these in the sector next door that showed a rename:

Laika ------ Crucis Sector EH-M A7-0
Shendi ------ Crucis Sector EH-M A7-1
Vihaara ------ Crucis Sector EH-M A7-2

Annnnd, then I got bored and went to map some of them instead...

Edit: Interested to see if I keep first map on Wolfsegen 6, 7, 8 and 9.

My fear is that if the logic isn't fully thought through, that it would lead to salt / problems / people leaving because the don't understand why they are being blocked from what they were doing before.
If access is limited, people will fall into a number of categories:

• I have a load of missions to hand in, why can't I land...?'
  • I haven't got enough fuel and now cannot land to refuel or jump to a new system
  • I could land before and now I am being shot at / was shot
as they will be newbies, I think that there would be a higher chance that the pilot would put down the game and give up. There would be not deep detachment (that the majority of us have)
Yeah, that's why I keep harping on about the newbs being stuck in a simulator until they can adequately complete and pass a test of some description BEFORE they are issued with a pilots license.

Could completely circumvent all these problems with a simple "FAIL! Start over..."

Not saying I don´t like about the idea, but just that do not remember it from any of 3 previous Elite´s.

Yes there were starting systems back then also (in solo play ofc, but even now with larger "bubble" good enough "random" selection for a starting system could work also against newbie-griefers), but I don´t think they were any safer than other systems of that category.

It hurts me Millenials can´t fly a space ship anymore, things used to be much better.

If we start removing "dangerous" parts of the game, could we just call it Elite 4 and just add atmospheric landings (won´t need to be top graphics if there is enough variation in PG), as soon as possible with or without space legs (would be happy to just fly/drive/dive on some planets with more than just rocks/ice blocks), and make Universe feel more "real" for rest of us also?

As I said, previous Elite´s were Solo play (just like now for some ;) ), though I remember dreaming of FFE (Elite 3) as a multiplayer with all those planetary landings and stuff.

Point were, Elite now needs more planets to land on to keep Universe feeling alive for the players.
Let´s face it, Elite has always with it´s pretty souless mission boxes relied on imagination of players to make Elite Universe around them alive, having artificial borders like having no way to land on planets with supposed billions of people just won´t work anymore.

Top Bottom