Speed of Hyperspace Drive?

Hypothetical speed of the Hyperspace drive.

Tl;dr at the bottom:

I was thinking about how the distance from Earth to the Milky Way's galactic center is about 8,330 Parsecs(About 27,000 Lightyears).

With this in mind, I was also thinking about how the top speed of Supercruise is 2,000c, which would allow us to travel there in 13.5 years, way too long for us to wait when playing.

So let's hypothetically say there's a ship that has a jump range of 8.33 Kpc, and let's say we're stationed on a space station orbiting Earth. how long would that actually take in Elite: Dangerous if said ship were to enter hyperspace and jump to the galactic center?

Now I actually did some math on this one assuming that the little scene when you're in hyperspace is consistently the same time frame with all ships at all jump lengths, now I took the Lakon 9 heavy because it has the longest jump length, assuming that it jumped the longest length at 17.733ly and took the about 13 seconds that the scene takes, I came to the conclusion that the speed of the hyperspace drive is about 43*10^6c(43,000,000 X Speed of Light) about 21,500 times faster than Supercruise.

Now with my new found theoretical hyperspace drive speed, which I am completely assuming is true, I found that if a ship were to have the fuel capacity they could essentially travel the 8,330pc or 27,000ly in 5 hours and 30 minutes.

Also assuming that this ship uses the 1 lightyear/ton of fuel it will take about 27,000 tons of fuel if it were standard fuel, 18,000 tons if it were premium grade, and 54,000 tons if it were using low grade fuel.

The ship would have to have a cargo hold of about 62 times that of the Lakon 9 Heavy to be able to travel that distance.

tl;dr:
Distance from Earth to Galactic Center = 8,330pc/27,000ly
Hyperdrive Speed = 43*10^6c/43,000,000c
Time to travel from Earth to Galactic Center = 5 Hours, 30 Minutes roughly
Fuel used(Tons):
Premium =18,000
Standard = 27,000
Low = 54,000

Last edited:
Based on your findings I can translate them into a Star Trek format for many SciFi geeks like myself to easily understand.....

*Please note I am using "The Next Generation" formula for Warp Factor
**Also note that in "The Next Generation" and forward reaching Warp 10 is effectively moving at the speed of universal expansion, thus making you infinite and has some serious repercussions as a result.

Maximum Warp Factor in 2409 Star Trek (Not including a Quantum Slip Stream Drive) - 9.99 / 7,912.35 x c
Maximum Warp Factor in 2409 Star Trek (Including use of a Quantum Slip Stream Drive) - 9.9999 (theoretical) / 204,850.98 x c

Elite Dangerous Super Cruise Maximum Warp Factor - 9.64 / 2,000 x c
Elite Dangerous Hyper Space Maximum Warp Factor - 9.999999784620535 / 43,000,000 x c

Quite honestly I am surprised we have not gone to plaid yet :p

another interesting note.... the Andromeda Galaxy which is our nearest Galaxy that we are due to collide with in about 4 billion years give or take a few million years is only 2,000,000 ly away from the outer rim of our Galaxy. Departing right from high Earth orbit at our maximum warp factor speeds it would take us about 157.35 days to reach the outer rim of the Andromeda Galaxy!

Here is a computer projection of what our collision might look like in 4-8 billion years.....

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2012/20/video/a/

Think our speeds in game are pretty fast huh? Well just to make you feel insignificant once more the farthest known Galaxy from Earth is approximately 13.3 BILLION Light Years away! At our current maximum warp speeds it would take you 2,864.972 YEARS to get to the other end of the known universe from Earth!

Last edited:
Top Bottom