Staff door within habitat

I have built a Capuchin Monkey habitat that I'm really happy with, but... The design includes splitting the indoor part (see 'Capuchin internal' image) so that the monkeys are forced to route specific ways to access them.

Unfortunately, that means that the keeper cannot access the indoor section that does not include a habitat gate, or indeed the outdoor section beyond that (see 'Capuchin external' image). I had initially thought that, as keepers can clip through doors, it would work to install doors in the habitat (i.e. so keepers could get through but monkeys can't). But I guess that isn't possible, as the keepers seem unable to go through the doors (I guess due to lack of path?).

So the question is, does anyone know of any pieces or methods that allow staff to access an area, while animals cannot?

Attachments

• Capuchin External.jpg
    Capuchin External.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Capuchin Internal.jpg
    Capuchin Internal.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 184
The only way I can think of is to use the doorway building piece and hide that with a door. I did this myself, but the unfortunate thing was the monkeys also used the doorway and clipped through the door, so they were no longer forced to use the climbing equipment to access their hard shelter (they still did, just not all the time).

I have built a Capuchin Monkey habitat that I'm really happy with, but... The design includes splitting the indoor part (see 'Capuchin internal' image) so that the monkeys are forced to route specific ways to access them.

Unfortunately, that means that the keeper cannot access the indoor section that does not include a habitat gate, or indeed the outdoor section beyond that (see 'Capuchin external' image). I had initially thought that, as keepers can clip through doors, it would work to install doors in the habitat (i.e. so keepers could get through but monkeys can't). But I guess that isn't possible, as the keepers seem unable to go through the doors (I guess due to lack of path?).

So the question is, does anyone know of any pieces or methods that allow staff to access an area, while animals cannot?
there's no way to route them inside an enclosure through walls to my knowledge, even with a stripe of path only within the habitat that does not work. So far, I build things like this.
Which means that the animals could pass through the door as well, but they almost only use the climbing frame.
1588105171972.png

The only way I can think of is to use the doorway building piece and hide that with a door. I did this myself, but the unfortunate thing was the monkeys also used the doorway and clipped through the door, so they were no longer forced to use the climbing equipment to access their hard shelter (they still did, just not all the time).

Intrigued how you got that to work? Whenever I place a door, nothing is able to pass through it, animals or keepers.

Intrigued how you got that to work? Whenever I place a door, nothing is able to pass through it, animals or keepers.

You can't use a solid wall - every building set comes with a doorway as well. Basically like in marcnesium's picture he posted just above you there. You can overlay the doorway with a door which can be clipped through.

You can't use a solid wall - every building set comes with a doorway as well. Basically like in marcnesium's picture he posted just above you there. You can overlay the doorway with a door which can be clipped through.

I tried this many times and it never worked when there wasn't a path underneath it, so there's no way for me to use that method in a habitat. Do you have a screen of your working set up that doesn't have a path? I'm curious how you got it to work and if it really works for you it might be a bug so I'd report it later :)

I tried this many times and it never worked when there wasn't a path underneath it, so there's no way for me to use that method in a habitat. Do you have a screen of your working set up that doesn't have a path? I'm curious how you got it to work and if it really works for you it might be a bug so I'd report it later :)

No screenshots, they never upload for me and I can't be bothered messing around with Adobe or something to try and resize them.

You don't need a path. The path is required if you're using a solid wall, but staff only use the path if its connected to a building and another path. If you look at marcnesium's screenshot, that's basically what I'm talking about. He uses the doorway building piece (you know, the one that's a solid wall with a hole cut in it so it can be snapped to staff facility doors). Staff and animals can pass through the gap without a path if their hitboxes allow for it. AFAIK, putting a door over the gap doesn't matter, since the doors are meant to just be decorative (and can be clipped through).

No screenshots, they never upload for me and I can't be bothered messing around with Adobe or something to try and resize them.

You don't need a path. The path is required if you're using a solid wall, but staff only use the path if its connected to a building and another path. If you look at marcnesium's screenshot, that's basically what I'm talking about. He uses the doorway building piece (you know, the one that's a solid wall with a hole cut in it so it can be snapped to staff facility doors). Staff and animals can pass through the gap without a path if their hitboxes allow for it. AFAIK, putting a door over the gap doesn't matter, since the doors are meant to just be decorative (and can be clipped through).

Yeah, I know but sadly the the problem is it doesn't work when you put a door in whether there's a gap in the wall or not, as soon as the door isn't on a path it somehow becomes impossible for staff to pass it. Like I said I tried many times and I never use a solid wall for doorways, but it never works for me without a path.

Yeah, I know but sadly the the problem is it doesn't work when you put a door in whether there's a gap in the wall or not, as soon as the door isn't on a path it somehow becomes impossible for staff to pass it. Like I said I tried many times and I never use a solid wall for doorways, but it never works for me without a path.

Yeah, same experience for me - using the doorway piece which keepers pass through fine, but as soon as you add the door to that they don't, unless there is a path running under it. Fortunately in my case, it seems the monkeys will still use the bridge designed for them, and I covered the doorway for the keeper to make it less obvious to guests.

Thanks all for your input - hopefully it is something that might get fixed in future updates 🤞

Attachments

• Capuchin Bridge.jpg
    Capuchin Bridge.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Capuchin External 2.jpg
    Capuchin External 2.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 127
@Nioell if you can get keepers to clip through doors, in a habitat, without a path, let us know! Would be good to know if it was just an issue for some of us, or everyone...

Weird, it always works for me. Unless we have a different understanding of what a door is. As far as I'm aware, the doors aren't solid objects, they're just intangible decorations like the panels and such.

Weird, it always works for me. Unless we have a different understanding of what a door is. As far as I'm aware, the doors aren't solid objects, they're just intangible decorations like the panels and such.

I thought that too, but it just wouldn't work for me - whenever I added the door, it would bring up the 'keeper can't access X object in that area' warning. When the door was removed, the warning disappeared.

I was using the doorway wall piece and a standard door, both from the construction section. Works fine at the exterior of my habitat, outwith the habitat boundary and with a staff path - the keeper clips through just fine. But no dice when I add the door within the habitat boundary.

Inside a habitat every object you place automatically has collision enabled. Keepers can't clip through objects inside a habitat just as animals do.

Their "collision rule" changes once they are in a habitat. Once you block the doorway they can't get through.

When I look at your picture, with all the objects inside, I'm wondering if the keeper can even get to the doorway. (the same goes for the outside, many plants and climbable objects in front of the doorway).

That's why I like the suggestion of a traversable area for keepers, so we can visualize where they can go.

Inside a habitat every object you place automatically has collision enabled. Keepers can't clip through objects inside a habitat just as animals do.

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Re: the picture, that thought had occurred to me too, and I actually removed objects one by one to see if that affected it, but none did. Can confirm, since running it now, that the keeper is able to use the doorway (with no door) as intended, with all objects left as they are. So no issues there fortunately, just the door that disrupts it.

But as above, have a reasonable workaround that looks ok and still has the monkeys using alternative entrances as I'd wanted.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN

Really? I was sure it worked for me. It was in my last build, though, so I suppose I could be remembering wrong, in which case I apologise for misleading anyone. I was sure it worked.

Edit: One thing I am sure works is to make the whole floor of the hard shelter into a climbing frame. Animals sometimes glitch and 'fall through' but I have this for my current Japanese macaques and they don't poop on the climbing structures.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Top Bottom