Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

That's what I love with SC. It's weird but I feel some 'empathy' for my ship. It's the first game where I have some feeling for a vehicle. I had feeling in the past for game's avatar (Vailant heart or Limbo) but never for vehicle.
When I've visited the mole for the first time, I thought to myself 'It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine!' 😁

This is what that other game lacks, its that lived in personal feel. I want to have rubbish strewn all over the place like a UK Sky white van guy :D

The part you fail to grasp is that Star Citizen absolutely did not "do this right" if their engine can't handle managing that state and the game fails to release.

Release or not, what I can see right now is great. Being a concept ship nerd this stuff tingles my buttons. However being married means my wife will 'tingle my buttons' by twisting them off if I even smile in SCs direction.

Yes and no. Sometimes a "wing" is just a loose term for a structure for other things to hang from.
I think there is a genuine thought behind Imperial Star Destroyer shapes and that is to bring maximum amount of weapons to bear. Frontally and above and below maybe. Without air, wings for hardpoints aren't a necessity. Designers should put a bit more creativity in imagining reasonable ship shapes than just mimicking helos or planes, imo.

Release or not, what I can see right now is great. Being a concept ship nerd this stuff tingles my buttons. However being married means my wife will 'tingle my buttons' by twisting them off if I even smile in SCs direction.
It's still my dream...to have SC's ship assets, FPS ship activities and planetary tech thrown in with Elite's stellar forge vastness. I still have the wish of floating around a massive galaxy mining planetary rings in my Mole. Sadly it'll never be.

Maybe some day a game will come along that has the best of both gameworlds... minus the politics. Until then, I'll just have to play both and wish for them to be one game :)

It's still my dream...to have SC's ship assets, FPS ship activities and planetary tech thrown in with Elite's stellar forge vastness. I still have the wish of floating around a massive galaxy mining planetary rings in my Mole. Sadly it'll never be.

Maybe some day a game will come along that has the best of both gameworlds... minus the politics. Until then, I'll just have to play both and wish for them to be one game :)

I'd be happy if CR just focussed on one giant system (like Infinity Battlescape) and stuffed it full of all the hand made areas and pared down the server load. I'd but that level of fidelity in a second.

I think there is a genuine thought behind Imperial Star Destroyer shapes and that is to bring maximum amount of weapons to bear. Frontally and above and below maybe. Without air, wings for hardpoints aren't a necessity. Designers should put a bit more creativity in imagining reasonable ship shapes than just mimicking helos or planes, imo.
My 2 favourite and most used ships from SC....which kinda follow the thought of a uniquely industrial design and shape. I've never liked plane shaped ships.

SypiNst.png

2OpI1sR.jpg

Last edited:

True, it depends on where the ships intend to go. SC is very much 'rule of cool' for many designs, but it would be great if you could glide in an engines out / maximum stealth attack approach (a bit like WW2 Swordfish Fleet Air Arm attacks on U boats- the aircraft would shut the engine off so the deck crews on the subs could not hear them until it was too late).

True, it depends on where the ships intend to go. SC is very much 'rule of cool' for many designs, but it would be great if you could glide in an engines out / maximum stealth attack approach (a bit like WW2 Swordfish Fleet Air Arm attacks on U boats- the aircraft would shut the engine off so the deck crews on the subs could not hear them until it was too late).
Ships in SC can glide with engines completely off. Well, I say glide, it's more like slide ... or maybe roll. So yeah, I'm sure they modelled aerodynamics accurately :D

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gchza8/ive_heard_of_strong_winds_but_this_really_takes/

Ships in SC can glide with engines completely off. Well, I say glide, it's more like slide ... or maybe roll. So yeah, I'm sure they modelled aerodynamics accurately :D

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gchza8/ive_heard_of_strong_winds_but_this_really_takes/
I suspect Ci¬G cheated a bit on the ship mass thing. It seems very likely that it's the player avatar that adds mass to the ships....not only evidenced in that vid, but the reclaimer...a truly massive edifice of a ship, used to rise up on it's landing gear the second you stepped off the elevator. It rose up so much that it raised the elevator so far above the ground level you couldn't get back in it.

ZpaUjww.png

Here's me stuck outside mine...before I melted it for something not so broken.

cgnvAs6.jpg

I suspect Ci¬G cheated a bit on the ship mass thing. It seems very likely that it's the player avatar that adds mass to the ships....not only evidenced in that vid, but the reclaimer...a truly massive edifice of a ship, used to rise up on it's landing gear the second you stepped off the elevator. It rose up so much that it raised the elevator so far above the ground level you couldn't get back in it.

ZpaUjww.png

Here's me stuck outside mine...before I melted it for something not so broken.

cgnvAs6.jpg

I think thats true, because I've seen that ship blow about in the wind like a polystyrene block :D

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Believe it or not, people with crayons can also work in parallel with those who type.

That is just one rationalization more though. After 9+ years they start to smell. But hey be my guest. No, the issue here is rather about endorsing and even praising kids to stay up until well past midnight drawing with their crayons instead of asking them to go study and go to bed at a reasonable time when the next day they have to get up early to be held to account at a school exam. The drawings can be all the cute you want but you need to get serious at some point.

That is just one rationalization more though. After 9+ years they start to smell. But hey be my guest. No, the issue here is rather about endorsing and even praising kids to stay up until well past midnight drawing with their crayons instead of asking them to go study and go to bed at a reasonable time when the next day they have to get up early to be held to account at a school exam. The drawings can be all the cute you want but you need to get serious at some point.

Its poor management- if SC kept to a reasonable amount of ships they'd have enough headroom to have consistent, detailed LODs, interiors etc. The fault is with CR wanting more and more ships- plus, to make a ship you need concept artists, general artists, engine script guys and so on- all can work in parallel and also at different times if the people at the top have a solid grasp of the project.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Its poor management- if SC kept to a reasonable amount of ships they'd have enough headroom to have consistent, detailed LODs, interiors etc. The fault is with CR wanting more and more ships- plus, to make a ship you need concept artists, general artists, engine script guys and so on- all can work in parallel and also at different times if the people at the top have a solid grasp of the project.

Ah well, you see, if SC had limited itself to just a "reasonable amount of ships" (among many other areas where it should have prolly also limited itself) then it would not have received as much funds and generated as much hype as it has. This in turn would have most likely limited features developed aswell (not just ships) including some of those you think have had some kind of "love".

Praising one of those features in the vaccuum and without realising this "bigger picture" that would have killed it in the first place is what does not seem too consistent. I can most defintely assure you my daughter drawings are cool too, but she needs to get on with more important things.

As pointed out above it is also a behaviour that will contribute to this project continue avoiding to be held to account.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom