Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

About Space Engjneers and Empyrion: Galactic Survival
>> Can you move around freely inside the vehicle as its being moved around by someone else?
Moving a character inside a moving vehicle exist in a lot of games (Sea of Thieves, SE, etc).
It's when you move your character inside a moving vehicle which is inside a moving vehicle that is not common. Like walking in a Tonk which is moving in the cargo of a flying C2 Hercules.

Is it? i have only ever seen people move around an empty stationary ship. like this.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QukGRfTL9E
I’ve done it the game itself. The game actually models all the forces acting on you, so artificial gravity works like the better thought out sci-fi settings do it, so you could create a ship where the top and bottom turrets act like side turrets, such as those seen on the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars. Transitions between the two gravity wells can be rather tricky, though… thank goodness you don’t have to worry about the inner ear problems something like that would create.

Moving a character inside a moving vehicle exist in a lot of games (Sea of Thieves, SE, etc).
It's when you move your character inside a moving vehicle which is inside a moving vehicle that is not common. Like walking in a Tonk which is moving in the cargo of a flying C2 Hercules.

You mean, like what you can do in Space Engineers and Empyrion Galactic Survival? Though I must admit that EGS cheats a bit to get this functionality, and as I said above, it’s also a bit glitchy.

There is a difference, the difference is a controllable camera attached to a physicalized entity and being a physicalized entity effected by said physicalized entity but also independent from it.

Stanton is a physics grid with its own mass, inside it planets have their own physics grid, inside those moons have their own physics grids, inside, and of those able to tradition between them is your ship which also has its own physics grid, its own mass, gravity and then there is you, you're also a physicalized object, anything you carry around with you has its own independent physics.

Each child physicalized entity is effected by the parent physicalized entity, its why you experience G-Forces when standing or walking around in a ship being flown by your mate.

Last edited:
@Agony_Aunt show me one other game that have movable physics grids independent from the world physics grid.

And don't say ARK.

To be honest, i don't know the exact techniques most games use to keep objects bound to other objects while moving, and i dare say neither do you.

So how about asking about the end result, what it achieves?

What exactly are you asking about in terms of effect for the user.

The end user doesn't care if a loop is made with a do..while or a while(){} or a for..next loop. All they care about is the end result right?

And if we are talking about end result in relation to what other games have the ability to place objects on moving objects and remain where they are placed, i'll say Ark :D

To be honest, i don't know the exact techniques most games use to keep objects bound to other objects while moving, and i dare say neither do you.

So how about asking about the end result, what it achieves?

What exactly are you asking about in terms of effect for the user.

The end user doesn't care if a loop is made with a do..while or a while(){} or a for..next loop. All they care about is the end result right?

And if we are talking about end result in relation to what other games have the ability to place objects on moving objects and remain where they are placed, i'll say Ark :D

ARK is a worse example than the one @Darkfyre99 gave, which that at least is close, you might as well have said Cyberpunk2077, or Dirt Rally or Battlefield, :p you're an attachment to your flying dino. It becomes a controllable camera when you're attached to it.

Last edited:
There wasn't any point, that's the point. I wasn't doing what ECity would instantly assume with me posting a video from a well known Elite content creator playing Star Citizen as some kind of weird endorsment for Star Citizen...I don't really care about this ridiculous one-upmanship between the ardent fan boys of the 2 titles, at all. Like I say... and very often...it's actually OK to like both.

I posted Kate's video because she saw what I and many others saw when we first played SC back in the beginning. Like I said in my comments and Intrepid3D picked up on, I'm too jaded and cynical these days, so much so, I don't see the game any more. I certainly don't see what Kate saw...I see the bugs, the glacial development, the roadmap for a roadmap nonsense, lies and deceit, cash grabbing ship sales and endlessly disappearing content....It was refreshing to see SC through her unbiased eyes instead of mine...or yours...or ECity's, or anyone else who's too caught up in their own negatively biased views of Star Citizen or Ci¬G that they can't see or even acknowledge the little things that are good... that includes me. Hope that makes it clearer.

I don't have an agenda, I'm not that great on promoting or endorsing Star Citizen in the first place and I would no sooner recommend anyone buying into the dumpster fire than you would...for slightly different reasons of course :)

Why you sly old devil!

That's just an extra layer of using the same tech though. If you can do it for one layer you can do it for another.

Although it is rare. ill grant that. I'm not aware of any other game that does it. Although I guess someone might have an example.

ARK is a worse example than the one @Darkfyre99 gave, which that at least is close, you might as well have said Cyberpunk2077, or Dirt Rally or Battlefield, :p you're an attachment to your flying dino. It becomes a controllable camera when you're attached to it.

I'm sorry, maybe the person flying becomes an attachment, but other people can be on the dino's back and walk around on it. They are not "attached"

You mean, like what you can do in Space Engineers and Empyrion Galactic Survival? Though I must admit that EGS cheats a bit to get this functionality, and as I said above, it’s also a bit glitchy.
Never said "never done before". Said you can count on one hand the games doing it. To add to this list, perhaps also Dual Universe (not sure).

How about Valheim? Traveled on any boats?

Yes i have tho to be fair i haven't played it much, about an hour, good game but don't have time for it yet as i still have a catalogue to get through.

If you're not just sitting in or on the boat, if you can move around on it freely, jump over the side while some else is driving it then yes it probably has its own physics grid.

The key is you have to be entirley independant from the thing that's moving, if you're fixed in place in it or on it, ARK, then no.

Yes i have tho to be fair i haven't played it much, about an hour, good game but don't have time for it yet as i still have a catalogue to get through.

If you're not just sitting in or on the boat, if you can move around on it freely, jump over the side while some else is driving it then yes it probably has its own physics grid.

The key is you have to be entirley independant from the thing that's moving, if you're fixed in place in it or on it, ARK, then no.

Yeah, my daughter stupidly jumped in to the sea when we were far from land. Typical.

Speaking of physics...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/oauw9n Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/oauw9n/tier_0_vehicle_physic_are_good_enough/

Top Bottom