Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

One thing one can not do in SC is Fuel Ratting - which was my primary activity in elite - still it may happen one day
So if you run out of fuel it the self destruct button I assume!
Given the numbers of people in ED that need this service I assume this happens just as frequently in SC?

Big plus points: it is actively being developed (* queue "discussion"); it's got ship interiors; it's different / grass-is-greener to Elite.

I honestly dont know the longevity, but if nothing else it's very interesting to see what is possible, and contrast that with what FDev say is their vision of a space-ship game. For now i have no regrets paying for a basic pledge ship package.
It's nice to give SC a go! It's quite an experience walking around inside some of the big ships!
I'm looking forward to getting to know SC more once my account issues are sorted out.

this UI is so infuriatingly bad

can you find the indicator to tell how fast im going? speed control is important in sc pvp....

JBZImsB.png

you might be able to see the tiny little carrot indicator here

kkfQskP.png

Last edited:
If you just have duplicate ships in the ship terminal, you are better of just living with it. They don't really hurt anything, other than making it more difficult figuring out which ship is the "one" good ship you can spawn. I think I've gotten up to 10 phantom unspawnable duplicate ships.

Doing a character reset almost always works, so if you've done it, odds are you will be fine. But that is one way to lose stuff. One of those bugs you "deal" with if you have been playing for a while.

Save the character reset as a last resort. Like me tonight, when I spawned without a head in PTU. No choice at that point but to do a reset.

And if you've already done it, hopefully you still have all your stuff.

(and my PTU reset worked fine, still had all my stuff)

unknown.png

unknown.png
I haven't done the reset yet. I'm intending to do it later this morning.

It sounds like a reset is not a 100% fix and can introduce more issues than it solves? Is this the case?

By lose 'stuff', what do you mean? Items you have purchased like weapons and suits?

It's not just the duplicate ships that are a pain. I'm having serious issues with my hotas bindings making it impossible to use my throttle properly. I'm hoping that the reset will sort out the bindings issues as well as the ship duplication issues.

I haven't done the reset yet. I'm intending to do it later this morning.

It sounds like a reset is not a 100% fix and can introduce more issues than it solves? Is this the case?

By lose 'stuff', what do you mean? Items you have purchased like weapons and suits?

It's not just the duplicate ships that are a pain. I'm having serious issues with my hotas bindings making it impossible to use my throttle properly. I'm hoping that the reset will sort out the bindings issues as well as the ship duplication issues.

Doing a character reset fixes things that are stored on CIG servers, like duplicate ships, your character getting into an impossible state like not have a head or no mobiglass.

Or for me, i end up in prison, i dont want to spend 13 hours mining rocks. Reset and the prison sentence is gone. However it can end up with you losing your aUec or stuff you have bought in game. Ships, ship parts, armor for your character etc. It normally works fine. But every now and then it doesn't

Duped ships that you can't really spawn? Not worth the risk of character reset because it doesnt really matter.

Hotas binds not working... well, that is like support telling you to turn your computer off and on again. they dont really know what to tell you and are falling back on that because they have no idea what to do and that will get you to go away for a little while.

I mean, it might work, but i doubt it.

your best bet would be to do discord screen sharing with someone who knows the binds and the issues that you might run into.

i dont think i've ever played SC with a hotas. its either been dual stick or mouse and joystick.

that said, if you do the reset it will probably be fine.

Last edited:
Doing a character reset fixes things that are stored on CIG servers, like duplicate ships, your character getting into an impossible state like not have a head or no mobiglass.

Or for me, i end up in prison, i dont want to spend 13 hours mining rocks. Reset and the prison sentence is gone. However it can end up with you losing your aUec or stuff you have bought in game. Ships, ship parts, armor for your character etc. It normally works fine. But every now and then it doesn't

Duped ships that you can't really spawn? Not worth the risk of character reset because it doesnt really matter.

Hotas binds not working... well, that is like support telling you to turn your computer off and on again. they dont really know what to tell you and are falling back on that because they have no idea what to do and that will get you to go away for a little while.

I mean, it might work, but i doubt it.

your best bet would be to do discord screen sharing with someone who knows the binds and the issues that you might run into.

i dont think i've ever played SC with a hotas. its either been dual stick or mouse and joystick.

that said, if you do the reset it will probably be fine.
Smile 😏
Well that was confidence building 🥳

By the sounds of it, there is a lot of finger crossing when it comes to performing a reset... And the results are... Unpredictable. If I'm going to do it though, doing it now before I build up any rep seems to be as good a time as any. I'll draw up an inventory so that I can see what goes walkies...

The issue with the duplicate ships is a hassle because if I retrieve the wrong one it crashes the game for me. So it's a 50/50 gamble every time I retrieve my ships whether it will mean a restart or not.

I agree that Support very probably don't know what has glitched and the best they can offer is a Ctrl-Alt-Del on my account and pray that I don't pester them again for a bit. I also suspect that this is the default response from them for the bulk of enquiries?

I'll let you know how I get on! The duplicate ships are annoying but the lack of hotas throttle is being even more of a pain. Yes I can play on kb/m but that isn't really the point.

Doing a character reset fixes things that are stored on CIG servers, like duplicate ships
I seriously do not want to be the regular doubter this time but this is really bad. Duplicate anything in inventory suggests that they haven't yet figured out how to build transactions with untrustworthy clients, which is a basic cornerstone of every software system that needs to model scarce resources in some way. This is a solved problem. Has been for decades - from banking to gaming. This is why sometimes an online game will roll something back or stutter a bit during an inventory change - a set of messages needs to be sent back and forth in a certain pattern for the backend to ack a transaction.

It also suggests that their systems are ripe for exploits.

I'm having serious issues with my hotas bindings making it impossible to use my throttle properly.
One reoccurant / known issue with a Gamepad is not being detected correctly, and duplicate signals being sent to the game, which can show as bindings not working or inputs not reverting to the defaults.

This is due to how windows handles shared vs exclusive modes with the "HID-compliant system controllers" under hardware devices. For SC i need to have the controller in exclusive mode via a 3rd party app. This can take a couple of restarts of SC, but once correct its fine for that session (may need fiddling next session each time).

The reason im mentioning this as googling shows it can happen with HOTAS too, so might be worth checking the HID-compliant system controllers?

eg:

1626510063452.png

Last edited:
Smile 😏
Well that was confidence building 🥳

By the sounds of it, there is a lot of finger crossing when it comes to performing a reset... And the results are... Unpredictable. If I'm going to do it though, doing it now before I build up any rep seems to be as good a time as any. I'll draw up an inventory so that I can see what goes walkies...

The issue with the duplicate ships is a hassle because if I retrieve the wrong one it crashes the game for me. So it's a 50/50 gamble every time I retrieve my ships whether it will mean a restart or not.

I agree that Support very probably don't know what has glitched and the best they can offer is a Ctrl-Alt-Del on my account and pray that I don't pester them again for a bit. I also suspect that this is the default response from them for the bulk of enquiries?

I'll let you know how I get on! The duplicate ships are annoying but the lack of hotas throttle is being even more of a pain. Yes I can play on kb/m but that isn't really the point.

when im talking about duped ships, i mean ships that show up in the ship console that are destroyed, but they wont respawn like this

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re69vZfWTAQ

i've never run into a duped ship where it makes your client crash.

One reoccurant / known issue with a Gamepad is not being detected correctly, and duplicate signals being sent to the game, which can show as bindings not working or inputs not reverting to the defaults.

This is due to how windows handles shared vs exclusive modes with the "HID-compliant system controllers" under hardware devices. For SC i need to have the controller in exclusive mode via a 3rd party app. This can take a couple of restarts of SC, but once correct its fine for that session (may need fiddling next session each time).

The reason im mentioning this as googling shows it can happen with HOTAS too, so might be worth checking the HID-compliant system controllers?

eg:

View attachment 250582
Interesting! What third party app are you using and how do I check whether it is running in exclusive mode?
I'll check that out too.

when im talking about duped ships, i mean ships that show up in the ship console that are destroyed, but they wont respawn like this

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re69vZfWTAQ

i've never run into a duped ship where it makes your client crash.
Yes indeed, these duplicate ships show up in the console screen where you retrieve or do an insurance claim for your ship. The crash to desktop seems to be an issue when your ship was destroyed and you need to do a claim rather than a simple retrieve command. But I haven't fully 'tested' the ins and outs of this bug.

I seriously do not want to be the regular doubter this time but this is really bad. Duplicate anything in inventory suggests that they haven't yet figured out how to build transactions with untrustworthy clients, which is a basic cornerstone of every software system that needs to model scarce resources in some way. This is a solved problem. Has been for decades - from banking to gaming. This is why sometimes an online game will roll something back or stutter a bit during an inventory change - a set of messages needs to be sent back and forth in a certain pattern for the backend to ack a transaction.

It also suggests that their systems are ripe for exploits.

exploiting like a boss over here!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkJxV5JG7Po

Hey! We hadn't had a chance to vote on the sub-title name for the thread!

Come on guys, what do you want to call it?

1) Star Citizen: Development by Surprise!
2) Star Citizen: Hotel California
3) Star Citizen: Store Citisn't
4) Star Citizen: Once the pipelines are complete the content spigot will open
5) Star Citizen: Card removed from roadmap
6) Star Citizen: Mole pretends he is a mole in a Mole
7) Star Citizen: You can't criticize alpha!
8) Star Citizen: They also fixed a jitter offset computation error with unified raymarching so that it works in harmony with the guided filter denoiser, and added transmittance-weighted depth-computation, which controls the width of the denoise kernel tin guided filtering and raymarching up-sampling results
What about
Star Citizen: "At least we did not go from Live to Alpha" :)

eg:

View attachment 250582
"HID-compliant consumer control device" that brings to my mind image of something like cattle prod coming out from computer case and zapping the user :D

You spent over a grand on EDO Moley?

Bit rash ;)
A few hundred when looking at ED + EDO, all the ship cosmetics etc...but the post I quoted didn't mention specific amounts...just something about spending money on a buggy alpha. I pre-ordered ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom