Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

To give the Spectrum muppet some benefit of the doubt...even at 20-30 fps, SC does seem a lot smoother than it ever has previously, a few mates...even me... have noticed and passed comment on it when we've been playing. It's more about frametimes than actual fps in SC's case, not so jarring with fps all over the place. Even the likes of Orison at 25-40 fps is very smooth as you're wandering around it, no stuttering or texture loading. I've seen a few comments on the free-fly experience mention it too... so it's not just me imagining it, sometimes it's hard to tell with SC :D
Yeah. One of my pleasant surprises was how stable it is, relative to what I’d been expecting. I’d honestly expected unplayable lag and disconnects, especially with the free fly. Granted, 20-30 FPS in most situations on my new machine isn’t anything to be proud of, but it is what I’d consider playable for the most part. But then again, I have yet to do anything that would require faster respond times, so…

Biggest single day profit so far 1.8m, also made a stealth prospector to avoid any unwanted visitors whilst mining.

00083.jpg00084.jpg00085.jpg00086.jpg00087.jpg00088.jpg00089.jpg

Some notes:
Lifts not working or empty and you fall through the floor,
Taking up to 8 times to enter the Aurora because you clip through it constantly, Dying while running for no reason,
Ships having a fit when you lower the ramp,
Mission UIs just giving up,
Parcel delivery missions to places you can't go without trespass crime,
Ships taking damage for no reason,
Quantum drive issues having to reset it constantly,
Docking permission granted but, not giving you a landing pad,
Broken enemy UI, both FPS and Ship.
Most of these are multi year old issues that never got really addressed, as they pertain to the physics engine, which seems to be the sea monster/serpent of the game code, and the bar was set quite high by the spaghetti code of CryEngine to start with.
Parcel delivery missions ending up getting you crime stat need to be reported: that's more recent (cant remember falling into that) - unless you are taking those "personal" missions which are all illegal.
The dock permission granted but no landing pad is special: either you didnt notice the almost invisible landing pad icon hidden somewhere in the corner of your UI, or the doors opened, and closed immediately: that's known, has never been addressed either, you need to recontact ATC and the doors will open again and this time long enough for you to land properly. As for the icon: it's small, there's no outline to find it against a bright background, and very inconspicuous, until you notice it. Very frustrating around some bigger stations with very spread out landing pads / hangars as you end up circling the station wondering where is your landing marker...
And yeah falling through floors, ships losing pieces, ramps being lethal implements of doom, all of that is "the SC experience" as they call it.

While some of it looks good, some of it looks dreadful so it's a real mixed bag graphically as it is performance wise. Plus seems to be graphically glitches happening quite often with broken textures or flashing shadows and such randomly. Apparently it's the norm.
Depends on where, and which ship. Some ships are noticeably worse than others in that respect, and some places received a lot more attention. TBH if the game ran well and with a proper engine, i wouldnt mind. Not a show stopper anymore (we have seen much worse).

Many game breaking bugs encountered pretty much consistently and it appears you have to 'learn' to try and reduce their occurrence by how you play. Although some seem completely random and unavoidable. Seems lots of long standing issues get left unfixed, sounds familiar.
Yeah we old timers know how to "navigate" between the bugs. Not really a good experience for newcomers indeed and certainly not worth $400M.

Ship interiors are nice but, I am getting a bit tired of going from the ramp to the bridge on the Star Runner. 😁
They said they would be looking at giving a more direct access to the upper deck. CiG have a semi-decent track record for delivering ships and even reworking them. So maybe that will be improved in a distant future who knows.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
You need to install SC on a SSD like did. Then you’ll have no problems what so ever! :whistle: :sneaky:

No update from me today. Got home late from work, and turned in early thanks to a growing headache. :sick: Tomorrow’s my proverbial weekend, so I should be able be able to squeeze in a couple of sessions.
It's on an M.2 NVMe. 😏
Parcel delivery missions ending up getting you crime stat need to be reported: that's more recent (cant remember falling into that) - unless you are taking those "personal" missions which are all illegal.
Nah was legit 3 parcel delivery to Barton Aid place near prison. It's in the vicinity of the prison and obviously maybe erroneously inside the trespass zone (I tried all angles and approaching from the far side to prison) unless the parcel missions should just not send you. Gave up and just landed in the end. Ended up with a 1250uec fine to pay off. Parcel payout is garbage anyway I just wanted to try one.

Last edited:
Yes, i can understand how lack of jitter from textures loading can make low FPS seem better than it is. I used to have the opposite problem a bit in ED when it was on a regular drive. When i dropped out of SC sometimes i'd get a lot of jitter as a planet/station/whatever loaded in, yet my FPS was recording 60.

Now with Odyssey (and same with SC last time i tried it) things load just fine, but the frames are a killer.

Can't play a twitch based game at less than 30 FPS.
Doesn't seem as bad with SC for some reason...did a variety of multicrew stuff tonight for a couple of hours, turret gunning on a Connie for me since I couldn't be bothered flying anything, then a few fps shared missions as well...890J mission and a bunker mission. Besides the occasional server desync, it ran perfectly smoothly frames wise for everyone, especially the fps bunker and the 890J missions. There were 5 or 6 of us all shooting with no warping or desyncing NPC's etc.

Part way through the stint as a turret gunner, although I didn't see much desync from the NPC ships or the 2 players with crime stats we killed at a Comms array, we'd get the occasional desync when QT'ing to a platform or station to rearm and repair. It was quite a pleasant night all told with the half dozen of us in a couple of ships...usual bugs of course, but our lot are old hands so don't pay them much heed any longer.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Doesn't seem as bad with SC for some reason...did a variety of multicrew stuff tonight for a couple of hours, turret gunning on a Connie for me since I couldn't be bothered flying anything, then a few fps shared missions as well...890J mission and a bunker mission. Besides the occasional server desync, it ran perfectly smoothly frames wise for everyone, especially the fps bunker and the 890J missions. There were 5 or 6 of us all shooting with no warping or desyncing NPC's etc.

Part way through the stint as a turret gunner, although I didn't see much desync from the NPC ships or the 2 players with crime stats we killed at a Comms array, we'd get the occasional desync when QT'ing to a platform or station to rearm and repair. It was quite a pleasant night all told with the half dozen of us in a couple of ships...usual bugs of course, but our lot are old hands so don't pay them much heed any longer.
I did an evict the illegal occupants FPS and while it was fun it seemed very bugged. I did non lethal take downs and the guys were down sparko one minute after I'd repeatedly kicked them in the head three or four times and then stood bolt upright again oblivious to me. Was pretty hilarious. I only tried it twice though. When it worked right it was enjoyable.

I did an evict the illegal occupants FPS and while it was fun it seemed very bugged. I did non lethal take downs and the guys were down sparko one minute after I'd repeatedly kicked them in the head three or four times and then stood bolt upright again oblivious to me. Was pretty hilarious. I only tried it twice though. When it worked right it was enjoyable.
Aye, the Ai can be a bit dippy...especially if the servers are old and tired which makes it worse. I was going to upload our video from tonight...but at 2 hours long before I remembered I was still recording and hit the stop button...it would need serious editing...as well as a swear filter for the voice chat. We had everything in there tonight including uniquely Scottish sectarian rivalry with football teams...Honey badger's fetching red, blue and white paint skin for his Connie Andromeda now having it tarred as the 'Hunmobile' by the Highlander and me as a joke...so named because of Glasgow Rangers supporters being known colloquially by rival Celtic supporters as the 'Hun Army' :D

A bit of synchronised QT jumping with the Hunmobile and Yakkern's Sabre. I was in the bottom turret on the Connie....mostly eating pizza, drinking coffee or hurling general abuse outside of the actual shooty bits.

C57o0nT.jpg

RSaASPN.jpg

Last edited:
... 'new' Turbulent are now adding to Ci¬G and SC ... Ubisoft, Warner brothers and Eidos. ... Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, The Division, For Honour, Hitman series, AC titles, Marvel universe stuff...all triple A.

TBH i'm not impressed with most of those games from a gameplay side. Way too much style over substance, Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon are shadows of their former glory, technically quite good at times, but shallow with all the MTX and "live service" minimum viable effort of typical Ubisoft regurge. Ditto Assassins Creed, Division, ugh do we have to go over Marvel?
Hitman is the only game (series) thats really solid IMO. Triple A, triple LoL.

Tried free fly and while I can see it has potential it's definitely an alpha buggy mess right now.
Stormy! :cool: To be fair you havent tried SC at it's best, was far more stable in 3.13. One learns to work around some of the issues, like lifts you can 180 turn move away and back and lift may load in properly, and so on.
Sure you shouldnt have to, but there's things to do that kinda let you ignore much of the jank.

If nothing else take the good bits (or even bad bits) and ponder why it's not in Elite, would one like it to be, or if a feature that exists could be improved/enhanced by what you've seen in SC.
Odyssey has really brought out some white hats that defend (IMO) bad decisions, and dont seem to have the context and experience to fairly make their defence. But hey, once all the free flyers leave maybe the game will become perfect again ;)

TBH i'm not impressed with most of those games from a gameplay side. Way too much style over substance, Rainbox Six and Ghost Recon are shadows of their former glory, technically quite good at times, but shallow with all the MTX and "live service" minimum viable effort of typical Ubisoft regurge. Ditto Assassins Creed, Division, ugh do we have to go over Marvel?
Hitman is the only game (series) thats really solid IMO. Triple A, triple LoL.

Stormy! :cool: To be fair you havent tried SC at it's best, was far more stable in 3.13. One learns to work around some of the issues, like lifts you can 180 turn move away and back and lift may load in properly, and so on.
Sure you shouldnt have to, but there's things to do that kinda let you ignore much of the jank.

If nothing else take the good bits (or even bad bits) and ponder why it's not in Elite, would one like it to be, or if a feature that exists could be improved/enhanced by what you've seen in SC.
Odyssey has really brought out some white hats that defend (IMO) bad decisions, and dont seem to have the context and experience to fairly make their defence. But hey, once all the free flyers leave maybe the game will become perfect again ;)
I'm not really fussed about the games that the new Turbulent devs worked on at Ubi, WB or Eidos...only the fact that they're very experienced devs who have proven experience at the top of their various disciplines and for fairly major titles in recent years...now all working on the game I play with a view to expanding it's gameplay and content....As much as I enjoy Ubi games for what they are, especially the GR series. I don't want them to turn Star Citizen into Assassin's Creed... but I do want them to turn it into a game.

As far as I can deduce, the class idiot has been shuffled off to Manchester to further hinder any realistic progress on his magnum opus, Turbulent meanwhile, have apparently been handed a mandate from someone/somewhere to get stuff shifting with the PU in a gameplay and content sense and to build a team of devs capable of doing just that while Ci¬G continue to fart about making jpegs of ships with Sqn 42 as their forced priority (by their own admission)....the PU is the very game we're playing that pays for the luxury of the idiot Roberts granting himself license to create another yet another 1990's style interactive movie of a game whilst commandeering a fair percentage of the resources and devs at Ci¬G that we, as backers of Star Citizen are paying for, to bimble around entirely indulgent in his own hubris doing so.

From my completely speculative and imaginative perspective... assuming that's indeed the case, and the new and improved Turbulent are assuming a greater responsibility for the PU content working as a semi autonomous studio within Ci¬G...and from what I can gather from various 'sources', that seems to be the popular rumour... it's all good in my eyes :)

Last edited:

Hmm... maybe i should give Odyssey another chance then.

What I find odd about the Turbulent employment situation is how come CIG weren't picking up these people? Back in the early days of SC they were pulling in people with clout, Alex Mayberry (ex-Blizzard) as an example, they would advertise it, create introductory videos etc but after a while their focus seemed to be on quantity as opposed to quality.

I love the ads i get served up when searching for Star Citizen related stuff. Remember, all money pledged goes directly towards development!

Star Citizen - Free to Play Until August 27th
Ad·
Fight in epic space battles, trade your way to glory or live life outside the law! Free to play until August 27th! It's never been a better time to try Star Citizen. Join early access. Playable now. PC Only. Immerse yourself today.
Pledge Store
Expand Your Fleet With a Variety Of Ships. Shop Now!
Roadmap
Take a Look At the Progress Tracker For Various Teams.
Get Started
View the Available Ways To Begin Your Adventure Now.
The Universe
Learn About the Star Citizen's Living And Breathing Universe.

Bold emphasis mine.

Trade - broken
Never been a better time to play - direct lie. There have been much better times to try it.
Playable now - for a given amount of "playable"
Shop now - highlighting the real game
Progress tracker - yes, take a look. Please take a long hard look.
Universe - LOL

A couple of gold comments from Spectrum land.

From Lethality, harbinger of doom to MMOs and now hyping crypto

It's going to happen.

If you don't think so, or disagree, you don't understand it.

I don't think he understands how to present an opinion. Also in the same thread there is a quote from a CIG dev saying they are not looking at it (amazingly enough).

Because CR is himself working on the armor physics rigging.

LOL... once again CR is working on the code (allegedly) and will solve issues that the hired specalists somehow can't! CR truly is a god amongst coders! Don't know how he fits it in with running a 700+ people company. CEOs usually have a lot more important things to deal with.

The hairstyles we have now are made with outdated tech. They're going to revamp the whole character creator at some point. When that happens, we can expect new hair options with updated hair shaders, and maybe even some physics simulation. Until then, I'll just be keeping my helmet on.

Oh look, another Tier 0 system that is going to be refactored.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
From my completely speculative and imaginative perspective... assuming that's indeed the case, and the new and improved Turbulent are assuming a greater responsibility for the PU content working as a semi autonomous studio within Ci¬G...and from what I can gather from various 'sources', that seems to be the popular rumour... it's all good in my eyes :)
Agree, giving a chance to any other management team (be it Turbulent or anyone else, it does not really matter) would already be an improvement over the current situation, assuming that is what we are observing. I have no idea if Turbulent is competent enough to pull off and deliver something good on this but if they do I suspect it would come at the cost of cancelling a ton of promised content and gameplay features that have already been paid for by backers.

Back
Top Bottom