Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I would recommend loading the game and leaving it for 10-15 mins for all the shaders to load. It was recommended to me and worked OK on this new patch.

(I know it's ridiculous, but it works)
You should only really need to do that if you're running SC from an HDD or on 16Gb or less of system ram, set a pagefile if you are, it helps in both cases...but contrary to good sense...running with the graphics settings at very high (except for volumetric clouds...set them to medium or low) actually improves performance and frame rates...by a significant degree. Turn off chromatic aberration and film grain, sharpening to full...works wonders :)

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
You should only really need to do that if you're running SC from an HDD or on 16Gb or less of system ram, set a pagefile if you are, it helps in both cases...but contrary to good sense...running with the graphics settings at very high (except for volumetric clouds...set them to medium or low) actually improves performance and frame rates...by a significant degree. Turn off chromatic aberration and film grain, sharpening to full...works wonders :)

It sits on an M2. Here are my full specs, just scroll down under the channel :)
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/roots_rat

The rig is well capable I'd say. Still, I got 15 minutes of stuttered slide show, and after that it was all fine.

Concept JPGs sold like hot cakes! So popular they ran out of JPGs to sell!

v5dffbc2w8291.png

Oh, this is a good one from one of the SC faithful

There are people who are having their access to the Alpha PU suspended for periods because they are abusing exploits. If players were simply using them for personal advancement in the game it wouldn't be so bad but they aren't, they are also selling aUEC off-site for real money. Gold farming. It would take you literally seconds to go find evidence for this.

The only 'proof' CIG can have of this is if a player is regularly giving away large amounts of aUEC to random people who are not in their orgs or on their friends list. To make a cover for this some went around randomly giving away millions in credits without anyone even asking for it, particularly to new streamers of the game starting a trend... while the 'donator's' might think that all who are benefactors might feel this this is a wonderful thing, actually it's form of non-consensual griefing. The recipient has a choice, ignore the credits or engage in the same practise and give away those credits, many players innocently giving away large sums of credits provides cover for the gold sellers aUEC transfers.

The detractors of the game project know that uptake of the game is in some respects limited by how frequently persistence wipes take place, they even start threads asking about the possibility of wipes to raise awareness of it with newer or prospective players both in this forum and particularly on Reddit.

By deliberately trashing the game economy, and potentially using it to make real world money as well (as they did with the grey market) they are trying to force more regular wipes. This is probably why CIG are using targeted partial wipes to manage misbehaviour, rather than a one size fits all full wipes. Players coming into the forums randomly saying they have had credits reset to zero also benefits their cause, whether it was intentional by CIG or 'accidental', we of course wouldn't know whether the posters complaining of losing credits deserve it or not because they wouldn't say they have been engaging in deliberately trying to defeat the economy and CIG wouldn't comment on it.

The only thing that innocent players can do right now is not to help their cause by NOT transferring large amounts of credits and engaging in using exploits. If you do then you should expect that CIG will take action against you. Accounts have had temporary suspensions applied and it's possible the credit resets are CIG trialling targeted account resets.

These groups of CIG-haters do recruit, they particularly like to influence the disaffected, what's the easiest way to make a player get disaffected with the game? Wipe away their progress. It's a win win for the detractors. The exploits being used are not simply about personal advancement, they are about making the Star Citizen experience less attractive to new players and prospective players while illuminating what they think are CIG's inherent flaws.

Yup, apparently the people exploiting the game for credits are the critics and they are doing it to make CIG do more wipes!

Its not gamers being gamers, doing exploits because in game after game throughout the decades, because that's just how some people roll.

it's actually not a title of "release" I am holding out for.... it is the point where I know there will be no more wipes. I only have a 300i ship on my account. my enjoyment of these sorts of games is earning ships (no interest in buying with cash) same with cosmetics..... bought ones do nothing for me but ones I can get with in game progress (or in the case of ED CGs) I am more invested in.
so for elite that point was Gamma, no idea what it will be for SC. that is the point where I will go from having a little dabble to actually trying to get my teeth into it if at that point it is still buggy I will attempt to work around them, but for me there is nothing more game ending than playing for X number of hrs and then having to start from scratch esp in a game like SC where it is likely gonna take 1000s of hrs to get to the bigger ships in the game.

Do you ever get the feeling you're being cheated? I get it all the time. I get that feeling big time whenever I buy a second hand car. I've never bought a new car, but I'd feel even more cheated doing that

Star Citizen is a very pretty game, and a lot of folks streaming it seem to have fun playing it, they even have free flies to check whether your computer can cope with the game, but I'm not sure if I'll ever buy it... because of that "being cheated" feeling of mine

There was a free-to-play racing game I played a few years back. It was pretty good. The number of races you had to win to earn upgrades wasn't too bad, but then the game changed. Suddenly you had to work very very hard to earn upgrades in game, and I got that sneaking suspicion that the games company wanted me buying those upgrades with my credit card

So them "being cheated" alarm bells are sounding off with Star Citizen as well. I find it highly suspicious that any ships bought with your credit card survives these wipes. It incentivises them to keep wiping the game. And here's the bit that makes me wonder if I'll ever buy this game... If ships can be bought with credit cards, is buying those ships with in-game progress going to be made incredibly difficult, to "persuade" players to buy them with their credit cards instead?

The amount of time it takes to earn bigger ships in the alpha just now is meaningless. After all, it's an alpha. When the game goes live we will find out how much effort is needed to earn those bigger ships. And then I'll have to trust Chris Roberts to keep that effort the same if he finds folks are earning those ships by playing the game instead of giving him money for those ships

I'll have to trust a man who changed the terms and conditions of his game to refuse refunds, who lied about his wife being part of the management, who scraped the watermark off a jpeg to avoid paying the artist, who pretended that a video of a game was in fact a playable demo, who bled off funding for a game to make a movie, who uses a rat's nest of different companies to hide his finances, who paid dividends to himself for a game that hadn't been released yet...

Chris Roberts might be an affable, charismatic character, but I wouldn't buy a used car from him

Do you ever get the feeling you're being cheated?

I'm never going to purchase SC (or SQ42), no matter how it turns out. So I may feel cheated by some purchases, and may actually be cheated by others, but it won't be anything Chris makes. Guaranteed :)

Chris Roberts might be an affable, charismatic character, but I wouldn't buy a used car from him

Same, and I won't buy a game from him either.

You guys just don’t understand office development…

Fun bit of gossip over on SA

I used to work at Riot games when I used to follow SC gossip, around the corner from CGI-LA's mothership. I bumped into an ex-senior CIG guy and he told me the story that Chris literally had a good chunk of the concept/art team spend 5-6 just to do art primarily for the vinyl wall wraps of the office. The guy took it as a hint to jump ship to another studio when the timing was right. This was years ago.

They should check out the concept art statues at the new Manchester offices ;)

You guys just don’t understand office development…

Fun bit of gossip over on SA

They should check out the concept art statues at the new Manchester offices ;)
To be fair we got our web designers to help out on an office redesign one place I worked - they enjoyed it as it made a change from the day job - and they enjoy designing stuff - the weirdos :sneaky: Depends if you have CR standing over you I guess - but then they should be used to that ...

To be fair we got our web designers to help out on an office redesign one place I worked - they enjoyed it as it made a change from the day job - and they enjoy designing stuff - the weirdos :sneaky: Depends if you have CR standing over you I guess - but then they should be used to that ...

I think the daftness comes in part from them being a 'struggling up and coming indie' at that point, but still directing devs & funds into having a lavish office.

(Now the daftness comes from them building yet another lavishly customised office, while still not having delivered any official products ;))

It seems backers are somewhat annoyed that 2016’s $750 Polaris is still not in production…

Stemming the flow of vehicles per patch would indeed be terrible ;)

Why produce the old difficult big ships when you can flip multiple new things (Scorpius, Mule etc) at a consumer pleasing cadence? (Pleasing for new consumers that is ;))

Last edited:
It seems backers are somewhat annoyed that 2016’s $750 Polaris is still not in production…

Stemming the flow of vehicles per patch would indeed be terrible ;)

Why produce the old difficult big ships when you can flip multiple new things (Scorpius, Mule etc) at a consumer pleasing cadence? (Pleasing for new consumers that is ;))

"A big chunk of the UK team for maybe 12-18 months"

Hold on! Doesn't the UK team have like over 500 people now? Or he means only the vehicle development team? I hope the latter!

Even so, its crazy, but its been clear for a long time, that the big ships take a lot of effort. Easy to sell, hard to make.

LOL kept watching. Mike then losing his mind over how CIG how are still selling big ships, makiing reference to the Odyssey.

Last edited:
"A big chunk of the UK team for maybe 12-18 months"

Hold on! Doesn't the UK team have like over 500 people now? Or he means only the vehicle development team? I hope the latter!

Even so, its crazy, but its been clear for a long time, that the big ships take a lot of effort. Easy to sell, hard to make.

LOL kept watching. Mike then losing his mind over how CIG how are still selling big ships, makiing reference to the Odyssey.

Yeah he must mean the vehicle team.

And yep, they’re not stopping with the new big $$$, big dev, concepts either…

Back
Top Bottom