Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Except we know the elevators are faked and don't travel like elevators should.
I tend to think it's both: at first physicalized - badly implemented because of reasons (limited time and effort, just a hacked proof of concept, CR doesn't understand physics but wanted it that way nonetheless) - then shoehorned in a more standard "fake-y" way so it can work with the constraints they never forethought all the while trying to keep the "no compromise" motto of Chris Almighty.

Let's add to the mix: years of layers of badly commented unmaintained code from people not at CIG anymore, workforce diverted to more important/fluffy tasks, networking issues, the 90-90 rule... I can't see how it can end well, if it'll end at all.

And I assume this mess doesn't just apply to lifts.

I tend to think it's both: at first physicalized - badly implemented because of reasons (limited time and effort, just a hacked proof of concept, CR doesn't understand physics but wanted it that way nonetheless) - then shoehorned in a more standard "fake-y" way so it can work with the constraints they never forethought all the while trying to keep the "no compromise" motto of Chris Almighty.

Let's add to the mix: years of layers of badly commented unmaintained code from people not at CIG anymore, workforce diverted to more important/fluffy tasks, networking issues, the 90-90 rule... I can't see how it can end well, if it'll end at all.

And I assume this mess doesn't just apply to lifts.
And dont forget their struggles with doors as a concept.

To be more precise - first there was the Levski elevator, which was moving like a real one (up and down) and could be seen from outside. The Grim Hex one followed closely (and is the one pictured in the video before). Then they stopped doing these "realistic" elevators altogether and went for the weird things we have everywhere else (starting with Hurston).
In every case, these are separate "moving maps" so when you step into an elevator you perform a map transition, with all the nonsense that ensues (due to your coordinates making a sudden jump..) throwing the physics engine into a fun loop of course. Then, with CiG spaghetti code and zero state management, the state of these elevators become complete whack and that's when you get these issues.
They will NEVER fix them as they are caused by fundamental flaws in the game engine and the way they use it.

I tend to think it's both: at first physicalized - badly implemented because of reasons (limited time and effort, just a hacked proof of concept, CR doesn't understand physics but wanted it that way nonetheless) - then shoehorned in a more standard "fake-y" way so it can work with the constraints they never forethought

Don't forget the ship elevator permutations (and their unique catalogue of bugs ;))

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR8MHGFum7E&t=8m20s

We have the elevator system which is used on a lot of our ships for moving between floors and transitioning to the outside of a ship. That has some issues. Uh if you've ever been on a 600i elevator in quantum and found yourself with the elevator in the middle of space, that's one of the issues with that.

And then we have the new transit system, which is primarily built for environments. and you see that in a lot of ships. But there's an issue with that at the moment, a limitation that we're resolving soon, where it can't go between zones. So it can't be a lift inside a ship that then goes outside the ship. So if you look at the carrick's lift for example, that only ever goes internally, that's a transit lift.
But transit and the legacy elevator system can't do complex synchronized animations with them which is what the caterpillar needs...

Last edited:
It's amazing how often I find myself thinking... yup, never been done before....

This mess will be every future game's 'get out of jail free' card.

'Yes we fleeced our customers and delivered nothing of value m'lud, but we're still better than Christopher Robin Farce Industries.'

'Fair point. Case dismissed.'
It aint. Stuff like that gets pulled off, each time a couple idiots will have a revelation about how the world really works. Until then, dont buy before release.

these are separate "moving maps" so when you step into an elevator you perform a map transition, with all the nonsense that ensues
It would be interesting to know why they are doing this moving map thing given that the engine “allegedly” has 64bit precision and should be able to handle large coordinate systems.

The elevator should not work differently to a small ship traveling across space with tue player inside

...dont buy before release.
Certainly in this case, but then I knew Roberts' track record... ;) ...hence I wouldn't, didn't and won't touch it, even with a borrowed barge-pole pre-release*.

Valheim has been worth every one of my 'not very many' pennies that I've sunk into it. Ditto the Long Dark. Neither are finished but both have been well worth the money and have given me plenty of bug-free fun. Although, no lifts or ramps...

Of course this is Schrodinger's game... both alive and dead...

Lol, this Citcon schedule...

E3mcy6u.jpg

Yay, Pyro! Again. Again. (Only minus the Jump Points this year, because who knows how/when it'll arrive...)

Plus an exciting new mission template. (10:1 it involves stealth. Like that exciting stealth mission. In that Citcon. That time.)

Plus... caves!

And a PU addition to Quantum Travel which vaguely references SQ42. So SQ42's in too...

My favourite though has gotta be...

H8rlJZe.jpg

The ageing city that they're having to rebuild completely because they can't fit any missions into the buildings as intended...

* chef's kiss *

Last edited:

E3mcy6u.jpg

Yay, Pyro! Again. Again. (Only minus the Jump Points this year, because who knows how/when it'll arrive...)

Plus an exciting new mission template. (10:1 it involves stealth. Like that exciting stealth mission. In that Citcon. That time.)

Plus... caves!

And a PU addition to Quantum Travel which vaguely reference SQ42. So SQ42's in too...

H8rlJZe.jpg

The ageing city that they're having to rebuild completely because they can't fit any missions into the buildings as intended...

* chef's kiss *
Key words here: “Guided, In-Engine Tour.”

2012 Me: Hey, that means it’s almost ready for release! Hurry up and take my money!!!

2022 Me: Hey, that means that they’re telling a half truth, trying to pass off a machinima video as actual gameplay to the unwary. It’s a way of lying without technically lying.

E3mcy6u.jpg

Plus... caves!

And a PU addition to Quantum Travel which vaguely references SQ42. So SQ42's in too...

H8rlJZe.jpg

* chef's kiss *

Hah, as if anyone believed they wouldn't tease Pyro yet again.

Being a backer must be a helluva rollercoaster ride of emotions. Hype followed by failure to deliver, dissapointment, then hype again, over and over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom