Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

maybe you should meet up and talk about this lol

52938.jpg
Truth is I play Odyssey way more than NMS, in VR ;)

We all have our kinks, and I for one will not be yucking anybodies yum.

I've even heard of some parts of the internet that have 12 threads filled to capacity with people obsessing about every facet of a game and its development team desite them having zero interest in owning or playing it.
Don’t forget, there’s also a large number of people on this thread who also want to play this game, have backed this game in the past, and keep watching in dismay as the Wastrel Roberts continues to throw away the wonderous gift he’s been given by backers on vanity projects, monuments to his own ego, fulfilling his personal fantasies, and blatantly lining his own pockets… all while badly mismanaging the development of this project.

Last edited:

Think you just did bud. Many of us enjoy SC as a soap opera. Where's the harm? ¯\(ツ)/¯

---

Oh yeah, I remember. It's over here... In the conversations that aren't just about person Y liking thing X...

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/119odni/like_many_others_i_was_deceived_by_cig_and_ended/

This literally mirrors my experience. I only got in about $900 US and stopped by late 2018 early 2019. Ive only got on the game 2x since then and its in exactly the same crappy shape it was then. Kudos to you for getting out.

Last edited:
Whereas here we have a wide array of people, some who have bought the game and are still interested in it, some who bought the game and are no longer interested in it, some who haven't bought the game but might if CIG ever actually release a product that is decent and can be viewed as a released product, and some who are here for the comedy!
Lol. A "wide array" of guys with 98% of the posts from the guys that don't play the game and only post negative. And you will not see my response as you have blocked me 😆

monuments to his own ego,

1677413009375.png

It goes on and on listing his wonderful achievements.

This bit is funny

This project lasted decades

How appropriate.

A Mary Sue is a character archetype in fiction, usually a young woman, who is often portrayed as inexplicably competent across all domains, gifted with unique talents or powers, liked or respected by most other characters, unrealistically free of weaknesses, extremely attractive, innately virtuous, and/or generally lacking meaningful character flaws.[1][2][3][4][5] Usually female and almost always the main character, a Mary Sue is often an author's idealized self-insertion, and may serve as a form of wish-fulfillment. Mary Sue stories are often written by adolescent authors.[6]

I've even heard of some parts of the internet that have 12 threads filled to capacity with people obsessing about every facet of a game and its development team desite them having zero interest in owning or playing it.
It is a great story, after all, one of the most entertaining sagas in the history of gaming.

Excuse me, it's thirteen (12.5 if you want to be pedantic) and since the Forum Jesus Patch the threads no longer fill to capacity and can handle more than 10,000 total posts.

Wow, so we'd actually be on thread 17 by now!

I wonder if we will hit 1 million posts in this thread before CIG release the game?

Think i'm going to pledge at least 10,000 more posts before the end of the year!

Lol. A "wide array" of guys with 98% of the posts from the guys that don't play the game and only post negative. And you will not see my response as you have blocked me 😆

You know, they could have released their game back in 2014/15/16/17/18/xx/ or whatever else date the've said they would. It probably would not have been the game they promised (to this day it still isn't, not by a long shot), it might have been a good or a crappy game, who's to say. These threads would and could have been buried years ago. But, well, they didn't and here we are, stuck in forever alpha land and the light at the end of the tunnel seems to be receding ever farther away, with no solid release in sight. It certainly has been an entertaining ride, though probably not in the way that our beloved saviour of PC gaming envisioned.

So yeah, I laugh at the whole circus and I laugh at the people defending it. It's a bit like having fun with a broken game, in spite of it being broken. I'm sure you can relate.

It's a Frontier forum, if you want SC gushing, suggest you head on over to Spectrum. I post here as I find the whole development of SC an entertaining car wreck.
I do not want anything. I was just responding to Agony Aunt who thinks he's participating in a balanced forum talking about the game. It's nice that some of you have a clear vision of what this forum is 😁 But that's the problem with all echo chambers...
So yeah, I laugh at the whole circus and I laugh at the people defending it. It's a bit like having fun with a broken game, in spite of it being broken. I'm sure you can relate.
I exactly can relate and some others too. The whole circus had 36 millions hours played in 2022. Not bad for a broken alpha 🥰 And the circus has more customers every year, strange isn't it 😁

Not bad for a broken alpha 🥰 And the circus has more customers every year, strange isn't it 😁

But my dear LittleAnt - the circus has more customers year after year after year, and fewer and fewer and fewer progress toward any games released to show for it.

At this point, CI-G wouldn't even be able to produce a dog and pony show. The pony continuously falls through the floor of it's stable, and they'd have to 3rd party the dog.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I exactly can relate and some others too. The whole circus had 36 millions hours played in 2022. Not bad for a broken alpha 🥰 And the circus has more customers every year, strange isn't it 😁

I dont know man. Assuming the number is correct, those hours seem to be still quite low compared to many decent games out there I am afraid. Unless my maths are wrong, that would be equivalent to around avg 3500-4000 concurrent players per hour. Roughly around a 3rd or half the hourly concurrency for Space Engineers, No Mans Sky or even Elite (estimated Steam, Frontier, Epic and consoles). Or, given Chris Roberts propensity to compare SC to Rock Star games, and to put things in perspective, 30 times less than GTAV or 10 times less than RDR2. Even FDEV´s Planet Zoo is probably played more hours than SC. The mediocre SC hours make sense when one considers how broken it is.

SC hours look specially bad when one considers its often alleged popularity in Twitch and the likes. SC, which is supposedly viewed around 2 to 5 times more than No Mans Sky and other similar genre games, has less than a third the concurrent hourly players... This in turn may lead to a more than reasonable suspicion of view botting for the SC Twitch figures.

There is a reason why CIG "most transparent development ever" has never dared to show a basic and common metric such as average hourly player concurrency. My guess is that is because, if accurate, it would probably look pretty bad compared to similar niche games, never mind main stream ones.

What´s worst, even though they are bad as is, those SC hours are most likely already an inflated and optimistic number to start with. The source for those hours seems to be the same publicly unaudited and dubious person that brought us SQ42 for 2014, then 2015, then "Answer the Call" in 2016 and 2017, then a beta in 2020, and finally "done when it is done". The same person that repeatedly stated that CIG had enough funds to finish the game should funding stop and then went to external investors. The same person that heavily promoted the "big end of the year" release of 3.0 by 2016 along side additional solar systems, jump points, farming and even exploration gameplay etc over 2017, thousands of players in the same area, etc etc. whereas in 2023 none of that is yet in the game. Just so to name a few exemples.

Why would you chose to believe Chris Roberts statements and "data" at face value given his atrocious misrepresentation track record?

Last edited:
Assuming the number is correct, those hours seem to be still quite low compared to many decent games out there I am afraid. Unless my maths are wrong, that would be equivalent to around avg 3500 concurrent players per hour. Roughly around a 3rd or less of average hourly concurrency for Space Engineers, No Mans Sky or Elite (estimated Steam, Frontier, Epic and consoles). Or, given Chris Roberts propensity to compare SC to Rock Star games, and to put things in perspective, 30 times less than GTAV or 10 times less than RDR2. Even FDEV´s Planet Zoo is probably played more hours than SC. The mediocre SC hours make sense when one considers how broken it is. SC hours look specially bad when one considers its often alleged popularity in Twitch and the likes.

There is a reason why CIG "most transparent development ever" has never dared to show a basic and common metric such as average hourly player concurrency. My guess is that is because it would probably look pretty bad compared to similar niche games, never mind main stream ones.

What´s worst, even though they are bad as is, those SC hours are most likely already an inflated and optimistic number to start with. The source for those hours seems to be the same publicly unaudited and dubious person that brought us SQ42 for 2014, then 2015, then "Answer the Call" in 2016 and 2017, then a beta in 2020, and finally "done when it is done". The same person that repeatedly stated that CIG had enough funds to finish the game should funding stop and then went to external investors. The same person that heavily promoted the "big end of the year" release of 3.0 by 2016 along side additional solar systems, jump points, farming and even exploration gameplay etc over 2017, thousands of players in the same area, etc etc. whereas in 2023 none of that is yet in the game. Just so to name a few exemples.

Why would you chose to believe Chris Roberts statements and "data" at face value given his atrocious misrepresentation track record?
"It is an alpha, you cannot compare it to released games."

(This is why it is always going to be an alpha - it is one of the most crucial elements of the marketing story behind SC. If they drop this part, they will have to find a completely different brand narrative.)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
"It is an alpha, you cannot compare it to released games."

(This is why it is always going to be an alpha - it is one of the most crucial elements of the marketing story behind SC. If they drop this part, they will have to find a completely different brand narrative.)

Indeed. But as discussed there are alphas and alphas. This one, monetized and sold for over 11 years, deserves to be reviewed and rated (and therefore compared) much like many also sold Early Access games out there are (Valheim, BG3 etc). SC has even been stated as an Early Access release by both Chris Roberts and CIG´s legal department anyways.

Last edited:
Indeed. But as discussed there are alphas and alphas. This one, monetized and sold for over 11 years, deserves to be reviewed and rated (and therefore compared) much like many also sold Early Access games out there are (Valheim, BG3 etc). SC has even been stated as an Early Access release by both Chris Roberts and CIG´s legal department anyways.
This is one of the points of the narrative - an almost indestructible shield against any criticism. "They are working on it". "They discussed it in ISC number 100000000000". "This is an alpha, of course there will be bugs". It is almost impossible to pierce with any kind of argument.

I think SC is the first brand I know, for which the complete lack of responsibility for the delivery on the side of the company behind is the cornerstone of the brand narrative.

And they stumbled upon it almost accidentally. Really fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom