Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

CIG Disclaimer:

CIG Terms Of Service:

CIG Refunds FAQ:

Conclusion: CIG's Disclaimer and Terms Of Service are a lie, and not legally enforceable.
CIG accepting refunding within 30 days despite saying 14 days in the TOS... Wow, what a lie ! Do you understand that it benefit the customer to have 16 days more than the TOS ? The only legally enforceable document is the TOS and if a page give another info CIG can have problem... only if CIG don't respect the better option between the TOS and the other page. And guess what ? CIG respect the better option : 30 days ...

Last edited:
Context is helpful. 500M$ and in its 11th year of developement, and it's not yet in beta.
How much longer are you happy to wait? Two years? Five years? Ten years? Twenty-five years?
With 109 systems yet to arrive, is it 1090 years?
I'm not happy that it takes so long but I don't see what 11 year is relevant to the fact that SC is still not in beta.
Beta will come when alpha will be over, nothing else.
As said before, I patiently wait because I have no choice. No other company is making a game like SC (= with all the elements I want in a space game).

You could probably have learned to program one yourself and achieved more in the 11 years it’s taken CI-G to go nowhere.
I played at least 500 hours on the "nowhere" and I play more and more on it. So no.
There is already Spacebourne for the "space game made by one guy". 7 years (SB2 is an evolution de SB1) for a solo game that don't come close to SC.

CIG Disclaimer:

CIG Terms Of Service:

CIG Refunds FAQ:

Conclusion: CIG's Disclaimer and Terms Of Service are a lie, and not legally enforceable.
Exactly this, everything written in their TOS or EULA is completely outside of EU consumer protection law as it stands....a basic rule of thumb for a 'purchase of digital goods' as opposed to what Ci~G class as a 'pledge' is the addition of VAT or sales tax (in the US) on any and all items sold in their online store, if you pay a purchase tax on any part of it...it's a sale of goods not a gift ;)

Last edited:
Exactly this, everything written in their TOS or EULA is completely outside of EU consumer protection laws as they stand....a basic rule of thumb for a 'purchase of digital goods' as opposed to what Ci~G class as a 'pledge' is the addition of VAT or sales tax (in the US) on any and all items sold in their online store, if you pay a purchase tax on any part of it...it's a sale of goods not a gift ;)
"if you pay a purchase tax on any part of it...it's a sale of goods not a gift"
Not as simple. SC is considered as a "reward", not a real good.

Key Takeaways​

• In most cases, if you raise more than $600 during a year, the crowdfunding platform will file a 1099-K with the IRS to report the income.
  • If you organized a crowdfunding campaign for someone else, you will not be required to pay taxes on the amount raised.
  • If the money you raise through crowdfunding is given without receiving something in return, it is considered a gift and is non-taxable.
  • If donors receive rewards in return for their donations, those donations are considered taxable income.
  • If you raise money for a business project, the costs of the project may offset some or all of the taxable income.

Many games not in « alpha » are also still in development and adding updates and improvements on a regular basis. No Man’s Sky, Space Engineers, Elite, to name just a few in the same niche.

As mentioned above in the case of SC, given the game is already released, "alpha" is just a very convenient way to obfuscate the fact the game is crap compared to other games.

SC is exactly in the same development and commercial situation as those other games (although having spent significantly more money and man hours) but it just happens to be a much crappier game.

Sounds like you are not familiar with the whole notion of "early access". Steam has a good outline of what early access means to them.

7 Days to Die would be a good example of this for me. I really enjoy the game, especially in co-op, but me and my friends keep having our saves getting corrupted ruining the save. So I've stopped playing it. Will probably try again when the next patch comes out. Trying to get help with the issue and a lot of time it gets to "well, this is an early access game and there will be bugs, its not done".

Granted, SC is buggier than any other early access game i've played.

Sounds like you are not familiar with the whole notion of "early access". Steam has a good outline of what early access means to them.

7 Days to Die would be a good example of this for me. I really enjoy the game, especially in co-op, but me and my friends keep having our saves getting corrupted ruining the save. So I've stopped playing it. Will probably try again when the next patch comes out. Trying to get help with the issue and a lot of time it gets to "well, this is an early access game and there will be bugs, its not done".

Granted, SC is buggier than any other early access game i've played.
Vampire Survivors did it perfectly. And Hades.

That's quoting American tax law...not European consumer law. We're slightly more covered as consumers and end users or customers than our distant cousins over the water. :)

Vampire Survivors did it perfectly. And Hades.
Huh. Only bought Hades after release. One need not join every EA there is. But I have another which has been quite satisfying: Satisfactory. No punning intended. I enjoy games in EA which grow. I like seeing the vision fit into place, become. Sometimes stuff fails terribly (DayZ comes to mind, but often it is like a little tree).
Not SC though, that is a dumpster fire of stale regression and failures. It's jank like Goat simulator and Viscera Cleanup detail - minus the successful launch milestone and reaching the finish line.

That's quoting American tax law...not European consumer law. We're slightly more covered as consumers and end users or customers than our distant cousins over the water. :)
Yes, the European laws are more strict. But for the American laws, pledges for SC are only pledges.
I also suspect the fact that the TOS saying 14 days but the FAQ saying 30 days for refund is to cover potential countries where a digital purchase can be refunded for more than 14 days. In Europe it's 14 days, so the TOS is applicable.

Yes, the European laws are more strict. But for the American laws, pledges for SC are only pledges.
I also suspect the fact that the TOS saying 14 days but the FAQ saying 30 days for refund is to cover potential countries where a digital purchase can be refunded for more than 14 days. In Europe it's 14 days, so the TOS is applicable.
TOS isn't applicable when it violates existing law.

Semantics mate. Within that article's own definition said 'rewards' for 'crowdfunding donations' are taxable.

Because dun dun DUN... they're purchased goods.

US backer struggles to get recompense for their tardy 'gifts' seem to be more to do with lenient consumer protections laws. They don't have a framework for insisting that their purchased goods are overly tardy / not as described.

It simply doesn't matter in the slightest whether you...or Ci~G... imagine the hastily drawn up (and perpetually altered since 2013) TOS and EULA designed purely to loosely conform to the absolute quagmire of US tax law is binding or not, it's not binding in the EU against any and all of the consumer protection laws we have here...especially in the UK.

If I decided to contest my 'pledge' with Ci~G at any point, especially being comfortably aware of those consumer protection laws and how they work, I can assure you that Ci~G would have no choice but to pay up.

Fortunately for Ci~G, I was always perfectly aware from the very beginning exactly what I was paying out for and what I was getting into...but should my almost benign and benevolent attitude toward the muppet Roberts and his dumpster fire of a project suddenly vanish, I'm fortunate enough to have a team of family accountants and lawyers to deal with all the boring paperwork in my stead, all I'd have to do is sign at the bottom of the last page then wait patiently for the cheque to land on my desk 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom