Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

This should be at the lowest on the priority list. Way, way below having proper MMO networking for example, or properly working physics. I am not an English native speaker either, but really at this point, mission text and such is fluff that we should not care about. We want a working game engine. Having this question propped up at the top of the list is beyond stupid.
Localization in a game or app comes at the very end of a project.
I agree - just like visual polish and fancy adverts!

Well, it then seems like he hasn't seen another compter game in the last 20 years if this is his reaction... and crying... over any computer game? You're yanking my chain.
There's been times when a computer game has moved me to tears... granted, those were all story-beats that were intended to be sad. Same goes with movies and books. I think I cried for about five minutes straight while watching the Disney+ presentation of Hamilton.

A ramp extending? Not so much...

Okay... I know I gave a little celebratory "Woo-Hoo!" when I finally solved the air leak problem my Space-Engineers "Sidewinder" had, but being moved to tears because a ramp opened? Talk about lowered expectations...

I was thinking of getting either Space Engineers or the Kerbal thingy one, which one would you recommend?

I was thinking of getting either Space Engineers or the Kerbal thingy one, which one would you recommend?
Space Engineer is block builder and world exploration. KSP has more progression, builds with prefab items and features orbital mechnics and manouvering. Iikkot is much more hardcore, but still accessible.
I learned how orbits and transfers work wit this one. Figured out the pro sides of polar orbits just by gameplay. It is worth a look just for its educational value alone.

There is a huge gap between my written english and how I speak and listen to it.
I read and write a lot but it's rare when I hear something without subtitles. And I speak english (often with non english persons) once every few years. I'm so bad that I don't even try to play in english with voip. A localized server dedicated to french speaking players should be a must have for me.
That is a common hurdle when learning foreign languages. I experience that myself. The best way to master that is not to avoid but rather exercise.

This is your brain on Star Citizen

Remember kids, friends don't let friends Star Citizen.

1:30:22 if timestamp doesn't work for you.

didnt watch the video in full yet. He is....crying over a ramp extending to the ground?

No wonder SC fans think this project is doing groundbreaking never-before-seen stuff if they get excited over something like THIS......

That guy crying at a ramp had to be putting up a show for the giggles right?

I thought his eyes were burning or maybe he was going to prepare for a rage fit but after a while I realized hes really crying......least to say I was a little disturbed. Not by a man crying. I think males showing emotions is a wonderful thing...but over THIS......I just cant...

nah, just watch the part of the stream where he says it is running really smooth on his pc, but obs is having issues.

link to stream at timestamp
Well, it then seems like he hasn't seen another compter game in the last 20 years if this is his reaction... and crying... over any computer game? You're yanking my chain.

Only supports AAs thesis if the guy considers this "smooth"

And he played MFS2020 and ED? SC is at best "on par" with those games in terms of good-looking. His reaction would describe going from 8bit to 4K.

There is a huge gap between my written english and how I speak and listen to it.
I read and write a lot but it's rare when I hear something without subtitles. And I speak english (often with non english persons) once every few years. I'm so bad that I don't even try to play in english with voip. A localized server dedicated to french speaking players should be a must have for me.

Well be aware of the abyss my friend. When I started to dab into english the only real source was school and that wasnt any fun. Luckily I was at the spearhead of advancement at the time and had access to pirated C64 games as well as tabletop rulebooks...of course....all in their native english language. I dont know how much time I spent willingly and enthusiastically on my knees over some boring book looking up words and slowly but surely deciphering the english language. Due to my hobbies english friends were only a small step away and with the introduction of voice over IP (I admit....WOW raids) I pretty much was forced to overcome the spoken barrier. Took some time and wouldnt it ve been for something I loved and wanted (RPGs and video games) I doubt I ever would be at my current point.

But....being pretty fluent in german as well as english by now I cannot help but scoffing and looking down at german youngsters who claim they need a german localization because they cant understand english. I mean HALF of the german language is already borderline english so the transition step isnt large here but these people know some slur words or listen to gangster rap and think they "speak english" then start to cry when they are faced with the realization that they need to keep learning. We are not talking about mandarin here, english must be one of the easiest tongues to learn but of course....motivation is important. That being said, motivation alone doesnt help so you gotta practice even if you feel ashamed or hesitant because you dont speak well. Its only going to get better if you keep at it.

You got more then 50% completed man, thats already more then CIG did :D Starting to speak more will enhance your written english as well as improve your understanding of all the little things that non-natives usually "dont get". Never feel ashamed about not speaking like a native....you have access to a full other language (and french aint easy....hated and still hate it with a passion) most of the people you talk to in english dont even have that ^^

Okay pep talk is over....get on with it man and keep doing what you are doing. The way you write I cant believe you are "bad" at speaking english.

This should be at the lowest on the priority list. Way, way below having proper MMO networking for example, or properly working physics. I am not an English native speaker either, but really at this point, mission text and such is fluff that we should not care about. We want a working game engine. Having this question propped up at the top of the list is beyond stupid.
Localization in a game or app comes at the very end of a project.

Discussions like this, at this point of development only help to make CIG feel like they already accomplished what the went out to do. Its like saying "whatever we have now is perfect, lets focus on plishing and than you are done" and I wonder if the people who participate in this line of discussion even realize what they are doing or if they are being herded

Overreaction extroadionairre.

My thought.....dont do drugs kids

Of course we do, what are you talking about?

I presume you meant stakeholders.

Not...

Now that wasnt really necessary was it? I drooled INTO my keyboard and it makes squishy sounds now thanks buddy. Also....acting outraged for all vegans :mad::mad::mad::mad:

We are not talking about mandarin here, english must be one of the easiest tongues to learn but of course....motivation is important. ...
Maybe not "tongue" but the grammar is really one of the easiest there is. No genders on nouns, no grammatical cases, minuscule amount of forms, simple tempora, it is ideal to learn. That's why it#s probably easier to get ahead in the written language and have trouble with the spoken one.

But let's be frank, apart from French accents trying to make up for hache aspiree in other languages, English (that is UK and Ireland) accents can be quite sexy. Yes, I subsume Scottish accent - because I can, being an ignorant. Maybe Mole will shout angrily at me now. Maybe that was my intention all along.

Back
Top Bottom