Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Exploration achieved...

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what happens in that video... it looks like he's trying to move forward in outer space and there comes a moment when he can't move forward anymore... but it's impossible, because SC has no loading screens, so he should be able to go anywhere even if it takes a thousand years to get there, right?

The finite infinite space...

Seems like the servers have been parped for days now...

What happened to the servers in the last couple of days?

Can't switch server regions, 30K is back, generally servers are pretty laggy (more so than usual SC) ... Do we have any info?

Game extra borked for y’all recently?

Have servers been extra borked for y’all this patch?

I got 3 server errors(old 30k) in a row within like 45 minutes.

When I boot my ships on(ALT+R), half the time it doesn’t work.

A few times now my ship becomes unresponsive after a quant jump and I’ve fallen to the planet to my death.

Loading in with a party of just 3, half the time someone gets left at the menu.

516,828 ships abandoned around landing areas.

My gun disappears sometimes after logging in.

I’ve gone to jail 3 times for absolutely no reason.

The “fine pay” terminals sometimes don’t show up at A18?

Got a CS for parking my ship, then a literal caterpillar spawned inside my C2, blowing both of them up.

Bunkers and outposts seem to have way lower FPS than before, but only sometimes?

My C2 gets “ghost cargo” and I still can’t sell it; I have to backspace it.

Idk, been playing the game for about 8 years. This by no means has been the worst it’s been, but it seems this is the worst “playable” state it’s been. Like, you can get in the game fine, but almost nothing is working. Usually I can play for 3-5 hours then a bug makes me go “eh, I’ll hop back on tomorrow.”

Now it seems more like “damn, I logged in 5 min ago, I fell through a tram, my gun is gone, my ship spawned with another ship in it, killing me, then I spawned in prison. Well. Yup, I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Hopefully 3.23.2 brings some more
fixes(I know the ghost cargo will get fixed in 3.23.1a), but probably not as they’re pushing lots of big features(cargo elevators, persistent/personal hangars, cargo missions, etc.).

I know it’s an Alpha, and I’ve been through the ups and downs of SC for 8 ish years; but damn. It’s like, playable, but not at the same time. Usually it’s playable, but you gotta do some weird workarounds to get stuff to stuff. But recently it’s more of a “well. Okay then.”

Or, I’ve just been getting really unlucky the past couple weeks. Who knows, it’s SC.

Edit: when I say nothing is working, I mean: it’s hard to complete a game loop. Ships spawn faster, ASOPs don’t get stuck bugged, don’t get booted to menu after 30k, etc. But I try to do cargo, it works once, then have to blow up my ship. I try a bunker, enemies don’t spawn. I try salvaging, server error happens and mission Houdini’s. I try a bounty, I get rammed or enemy has infinite health. My ship explodes when exiting/entering a hangar.

What's Going on with Servers Today?

Invictus is over, servers are circling the drain.
This has now hit 3.18 levels of unplayable. I just spent 3+ hours logging in, claiming ship, server error. Recovery. Finally get in ship 17 minutes later. Server error.
Log out. Choose EU. Repeat.
Log out. Choose AUS. Repeat.
Every single server. Chat has been nothing but new people getting shuffled around broken servers that die moments later.
I get the usual failures and random bugs. I'm very used to reclaiming my ship, flying it to a moon, loading up my ROC, pulse, and Nursa.
This is unplayable today. Will it ever be better?

Servers are completely toast

Today in particular has been completely unplayable. 30k recoveries every 15 minutes, janky as all get out. Black ASOC screens. This is nearly 3.18 bad, but rather than not getting in at all you get in and run to the ASOC to crash, then repeat.
I hope this new patch sorts things out, this is truly bad.

The most popular theory (with no free-fly or event to blame) is that clutter has accrued to the extent that all the servers are now choking (and restarting in a broken state).

Last edited:
Even the last 2 without a cross in that image are questionable:
  • SC universe is far from rich or epic as it is still majorly incomplete and core features and mechanics just do not work and constantly break.
  • Persistent Universe not yet persistent at all as there are regular wipes, and no faction or economy persistent states in the game that can make the game evolve or become meaningful over time. At the moment SC is just a bunch of gloried but broken War Thunder servers in space.
Universe? There is no “universe” in Star Citizen, only one small star system. And a half-baked broken one at that. Star Citizen is trash.

i have been s posting over here for hours and i really should go to bed, but y'all may enjoy it

LOL, just read.

giphy.gif

The ex-Pipeline guy on future monetization...

All aligns with stuff my guy's heard. Won't be super surprising if they double down on P2W. Probably won't be super popular either though ;)

Oh my, that reddit thread is a goldmine.

The goal is literally so that any ship can be good, viable, and fun, and have its role.

Ah, so those starter ships are viable, fun, and have their own role? Then why does everyone seem so keen to get out of them?

For a while now I'd say this guy has been giving off strange vibes that he's not actually been getting any leaks for quite a while and is just "trust me bro" posting in a desperate attempt to stay relevant.

Reminds me of all the faithful who declare CIG have a dozen systems ready to go behind the scenes, they don't have any proof, just trust me bro.

literally none of this was a leak. this was all easily deduced with basic common sense and paying attention to CIG's communications.

Well, some honesty at least there. Yes, its clear CIG will continue to milk players in a post-release world. They will never stop selling ships, credits, and whatever else they can think of.

The ex-Pipeline guy on future monetization...

The 'Erin email' dev chipped in on this:

Exactly. The monetization is going to get more aggressive AFTER launch, that is the current 1.0 plan. What CIG means is that in no way it will be "necessary", but that is how it currently is. Minus the base building and the crafting that will be in the game, that will get affected by the monthly subscription. Soooo... Worse :)

EDIT: Oh and...

Funny thing about server cost ; they already cant sustain it. I don't know if they figured out something, but there was a lot of talks about how there's not enough money to run stanton AND pyro

Last edited:
Funny thing about server cost ; they already cant sustain it. I don't know if they figured out something, but there was a lot of talks about how there's not enough money to run stanton AND pyro
Maybe they could put the systems on weekly rotation, like the AC maps.
Or figure out a way to use the replication layer thing to run dynamic servers on client PCs.

Edit: how about in-game Amazon ads in return for sponsored servers?

Last edited:
I like this collection of theories...

We've seen a progressive degradation in server health as a patch cycle progresses and the servers have been online longer, for basically every patch since 3.18. this happens because of the steady buildup of entities/trash that occurs on these long running servers.

Now with 3.23 and the replication layer, when a server eventually gives up and crashes, a new server takes over (almost) immediately, and preserves all the random entities lying around, which means it accelerates towards its own death much faster than before when a 30k effectively wiped all that stuff.

With Invictus, it feels like servers got a refresh each day at noon (EDT) when the halls swapped manufacturers, and we could see the degradation throughout the day. Now with Invictus done, the daily refresher isn't happening, and after a couple days (now), the performance is officially in the gutter for most existing servers.

The idea of Invictus performing janitorial duties, keeping the crap storm at bay, is a fun one ;)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

"Funny thing about server cost ; they already cant sustain it. I don't know if they figured out something, but there was a lot of talks about how there's not enough money to run stanton AND pyro"

Any back of the envelope estimates given? Not familiar with server costs but assuming the funds tracker is correct I would be very surprised if CIG can not at the very least just reduce staff numbers enough to manage that. No?

Any back of the envelope estimates given? Not familiar with server costs but assuming the funds tracker is correct I would be very surprised if CIG can not at the very least just reduce staff numbers enough to manage that. No?

They need all those junior devs to dump Tier 0 featurettes into the PU.

Many backers will happily percieve systemic dysfunction as proof of brave progress. But they do need new toys to distract them in the meantime ;)

I mean, they are gonna have to pay for all the servers somehow.

I think in the early days of SC they didn't really think it though and just assumed they could release, make a ton of money from game sales, some small microtransactions/merch/etc., and it would keep the servers running.

I think they also thought they could run with much cheaper servers.

As they added more and more stuff they discovered they needed way more powerful resources than they envisaged and the costs are way beyond anything planned for.

Can't prove any of this, just speculation on my part.

Top Bottom