Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

SQ42 is still early alpha. Now we have no release date, no beta date, no roadmap, no roadmap to roadmap.
All we have is early alpha (I believe this is a swearing already) with promise of sokoban.

I don't know if expectations can be set any lower. The were never been, before.
Bah! You don't understand the genius of Chris Roberts.

He's plummeting expectations so low, that they'll suffer an integer overflow error, and come right back around to the Best Darn Space Sim Ever!!!

Never been done before!!!

$4.80 off some bear heads that are still $20 a pop to walk around "wearing" in an unfinished game.

worth every penny

rLqT7HA.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Their update delivery system, instead of it's usual delightful ability to completely swamp my connection, is now hobbling around at under 4Mbps with no throttling or network lulz on my end.

Here's a question - "What is going on with SQ42?"
Good news:
Plus, tune in Saturday for the latest on Squadron 42 with the premier of The Briefing Room.
A couple of months ago CIG said that the six-month delayed Sq42 update video was named The Briefing Room. Whoever bet that the video was being delayed until Citizencon, congrats cos you won!

This an announcement of actual upcoming content? Or just a halloweeney vid for the sake of it.

edit: seems to be cosmetics...

So ways you can pay for StarCitizen.
  • Pre purchase the game
  • Buy ships and gear for real money
  • Buy in game money for real money
  • Buy cosmetics
  • Buy a subscription

I think the CIG guys have not left a single monetization source untapped. Congrats in defeating the big bad publishers.

If they're going down the novelty cosmetics route, loot boxes can't be far behind.

So Elite Dangerous will not be a space sim anymore when Odyssey will be out ? You will be not flying when you will scan planet's plants on foot or get a drink at the station's bar. Please explain me what a space sim is because I'm lost now.
Willl ED be a worse or better space sim when all those non flying activities will be in game ?

An interesting question, albeit moot as the 'answer' is in the broader picture.

ED is set in an 'as accurate as reasonable' simulation of our Milk Way, consisting 400,000,000,000 star systems to visit, each one with (potentially many) full-sized planets to visit, a good proportion of which can be landed on now, 'soon' with even more to land on being added in Odyssey along with the ability to optionally get on-foot. You can explore each system in any manner you wish - no fixed routes to follow, just head where you want as the planets rotate on their axis, and circle around a star. It is a VERY BIG space game set in a '1:1 simulated Milky Way'.

SC has 1 star system with (is it?) three reduced sized planets/moons to visit, with a necessity to go on-foot. It may in time be a (potentially very limited) space game.

NMS has 255 entire galaxies' worth of planets to explore, totaling up to more than 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 worlds, with a necessity to go on-foot. It is a FLIPPING HUGE space game that would require nearly 585 billion years to see all the planets.

My feeling is that it whether a game is a 'space sim' is not defined by whether the player can travel on foot, but more in the desire to 'model reality' in a meaningfully large sector of space.

In that regard I think ED is more of a 'space sim' than NMS, and they are very different games. NMS is more of a 'space game' than SC/SQ42, and very different games. In fairness SC/QS42 are incomplete and unreleased, so it's hard to say what the final product might be. Whatever SC/SQ42 is, or will become, it is a game set in space, and is therefore a 'space game'.

I think ED will be better with walking, which won't change one jot how much of a 'sim' it can be considered. I think NMS was better when they added base building, which in no way added to its 'sim' credentials. I think SC/SQ42 may never be properly released, and will never reach all, or even many, of its goals - sadly.

TLDR: Any game set in space is a space game. None are real simulations as that would be mind-numbingly boring, but some are trying to reflect 'reality' more than others. In this regard I think it is hard to argue that any game comes close to ED, but equally, I don't think the debate is meaningful. I love NMS, and it's as realistic as my intentions regarding Kirsten Dunst.

/MTBFritz :)

This an announcement of actual upcoming content? Or just a halloweeney vid for the sake of it.

edit: seems to be cosmetics...

So ways you can pay for StarCitizen.
  • Pre purchase the game
  • Buy ships and gear for real money
  • Buy in game money for real money
  • Buy cosmetics
  • Buy a subscription

I think the CIG guys have not left a single monetization source untapped. Congrats in defeating the big bad publishers.

Hey, given them a break, they haven't done lootboxes... yet.

Good news:
Plus, tune in Saturday for the latest on Squadron 42 with the premier of The Briefing Room.
A couple of months ago CIG said that the six-month delayed Sq42 update video was named The Briefing Room. Whoever bet that the video was being delayed until Citizencon, congrats cos you won!

So, yet another format for a video where they still won't talk about anything like actual release dates.

Back
Top Bottom