Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

<cough> Flight Suit - so it's for flying ships, not walking on planets - at least not all planets :) LittleAnt even mentioned that. If your ship is at -40 I'd talk to the manufacturer, the aircon might be stuck at max ;)

Edit: EDO sounds like it might be similar - you can go outside in the suit we have now, but it's not a great choice.

Question for the SCers - can you eat & drink in the suit, or do you need to take off the helmet? I know there will be people attempting circumnavigations on foot in EDO, but is that possible in SC, or do you suffocate / die if you try and eat on airless worlds?
You need to take off the helmet.

But changing to fly? Why? What are the gameplay benefits?
If it’s a practical thing due to the large character model clipping through the seat, that’s fine. But automate or streamline it somehow. Don’t make it a big process. The whole 'struggle into your combat suit if you’re being boarded thing' is just a classic Chris 'cinematic moment' delusion. The reality is going to be another mini-commute just to get into your pilot seat, every time you play...
You have the model clipping problem that can explain why you cannot pilot in Pembroke armor. But that's just a side reason.
"What are the gameplay benefits ?".
The response is "huge".

Just take this little video and transpose it with the full armor mechanism with your ship landed on Cellin moon at night.
Do you switch to your Pembroke armor before leaving the ship if you know that it will cost you 10 seconds ?
You have to think and think quick. You know Cellin is 7°C at day. But it's night and at night it's -160°C. Your flight suit will give you a life expectancy of 5 min outside. Someone is shooting at you but you don't even know which type of ship/weapon is. How much time do you have before exploding ? Switch armor or not ?
Here, if you switch you will be dead. If you keep your flight suit, you will have to get help in less than 5 minutes. But you have seen a geyser 500 m far away and you know you can get 30°C here (I've checked it in game, geyser are effectively hot) and you should wait your friend here as long as you have enough water.
Except for the 10 second switch armor and the convenient suicide with zero side effect option to skip all this gameplay, all other mechanisms are already here in the alpha.

You have the model clipping problem that can explain why you cannot pilot in Pembroke armor. But that's just a side reason.
The response is "huge".

Just take this little video and transpose it with the full armor mechanism with your ship landed on Cellin moon at night.
Do you switch to your Pembroke armor before leaving the ship if you know that it will cost you 10 seconds ?
You have to think and think quick. You know Cellin is 7°C at day. But it's night and at night it's -160°C. Your flight suit will give you a life expectancy of 5 min outside. Someone is shooting at you but you don't even know which type of ship/weapon is. How much time do you have before exploding ? Switch armor or not ?
Here, if you switch you will be dead. If you keep your flight suit, you will have to get help in less than 5 minutes. But you have seen a geyser 500 m far away and you know you can get 30°C here (I've checked it in game, geyser are effectively hot) and you should wait your friend here as long as you have enough water.
Except for the 10 second switch armor and the convenient suicide with zero side effect option to skip all this gameplay, all other mechanisms are already here in the alpha.

Like I say, the suit decision aspect isn’t necessarily a bad one. It’s the planned 10 second animation that is. It might add a minor bit of strategic tension in certain moments, but it’s such a deficit in other areas.

Whether the change back to flight suit is for practical game production reasons, or simply a payoff for having 'pick your outfit' gameplay, it still lacks a meaningful gameplay reason at that moment. Beyond 'want to fly ship'. That transition is gonna burn hard over time.

(The less said about civilian clothing tiers the better eh? ;))

Last edited:
And if the change back to flight suit is for practical game production reasons, rather than gameplay, then that transition will burn even more.

(The less said about civilian clothing tiers the better eh? ;))
What? You don't agree with semi-transparent Borat-suit being the best armour in the game? o_O

What? You don't agree with semi-transparent Borat-suit being the best armour in the game? o_O

If I could shock Senator Hurston into a favourable deal, I would wear it ;)

Unfortunately we know Chris’s focus is on 'realistic' walking speeds, shower diplomacy, and other inane non-gameplay focuses that end up with you losing the chat bar when you take off your helmet to eat ;)

Without the 10 seconds animation, you don't have to make a choice in my last post, everyone will switch to Pembroke armor if it's instant.

There could still be strategic choice. The pros and cons are written into the suits themselves. The delay in execution is just a buffer that risks being a major frustration in other scenarios.

Do you really want to wait 10 seconds before playing the 5 second seating animation to get back into your seat? Every time?

(Hopefully Sean Tracy style heads will win the day and shorten or kill those animations, at least for transitions with no strategic choice involved, or for lighter suits or whatever. But it’s just one of a long list of ideas from Chris that paint him as a 'movie scene designer', not a game designer).

The response is "huge".

You should try writing fan fiction with that fantasy and imagination. Better than telling the nollocks about games that will never see the light of day.

It really isnt that invasive. Dont know if that guy brought extra drinks, but the fastest racers finished in like 4 hours. By himself that guy could have been going for 5 or 6.

And it goes down faster being "outside". The only time i've really noticed it/had concerns is when doing ROC mining.

When I'm just flying around i never have to worry about food or water. This is compounded by refuel/repair never working, so I just blow myself up. Wake up with full food/water that way. 🍻
I just find it irritating and pointless, there's no real reason for it to be in SC.... apart from that the idiot Roberts saw it somewhere else and thought it was a great idea because someone else had thought about it first.

Actually, not sure if that is true everywhere. I was ROC mining on very hot moons and my character was overheating. So I had to keep going back into the ship to cool off. The ROC is open to the elements. My character overheating caused the "water" to go do somewhat fast. I was able to do a few mining runs before running out of "water" though.
Go buy a Pembroke suit you meanie...stops all that overheating nonsense :D

<cough> Flight Suit - so it's for flying ships, not walking on planets - at least not all planets :) LittleAnt even mentioned that. If your ship is at -40 I'd talk to the manufacturer, the aircon might be stuck at max ;)

Edit: EDO sounds like it might be similar - you can go outside in the suit we have now, but it's not a great choice.

Question for the SCers - can you eat & drink in the suit, or do you need to take off the helmet? I know there will be people attempting circumnavigations on foot in EDO, but is that possible in SC, or do you suffocate / die if you try and eat on airless worlds?
You have to remove the helmet...which is utter silliness in itself...but yes, you can suffocate.

I have questions.Why is his left hand incredibly large?
That is obviously Oleg Zhokh AkA the"Mutant"one of the best arm wrestlers in the world....and yes he is also SC backer!!!

Oleg.jpg

Do you still think that SC is unrealistic???

Last edited:
Top Bottom