Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Why just the other day a SC donator on Reddit was telling me that 2023 was not a realistic release date, the game will be out waaay before that.

Wasn't one of the supposed advantages of SC approach going to be that the entire game will be released in one batch, instead of adding features piecemeal in separate expansions, like in the case of ED?

That stopped being something the super-fans repeatedly said and became FUD after they missed the 2014 release date.

The main problem is that CIG as of yet didn't manage to make a game/alpha/tech demo that fulfills 10% of their promises since starting in 2011-2012 (or whatever your opinion on the start of development is), I'm not sure how are they going to make the other 90% of a promised game in a reasonable timeline.

Last edited:
I think our surreal expectations on how long this game will take are based on CIG's surreal estimation of release dates.

We can only go by what CIG tell us. Maybe they just don't understand game development.

:D:D

To be specific Chris Roberts said it'll be out in 2014 and extra money and scope will speed up development. Now I don't want to be a negative Nancy or to worry anyone about their $$thousands$$ spaceship jpeg investments, but I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that CIG may have fibbed a bit about being able to deliver on that.

The Point I made was and stays.
That you guys have completely Surreal Expectations of how long it takes to get a Game of this Scale done.

Chris Roberts:: It will be released in 2014!
Us: Okay, I guess it should have released in 2014...
Chris Roberts:: It will be released in 2015!
Us: Okay, I guess it should have released in 2015...
Chris Roberts:: It will be released in 2016!
Us: Okay, I guess it should have released in 2016...
Chris Roberts:: It will be released in [redacted]!
Us: hmm, shouldn't it be done by now?

Sunleader: Leave CIG alone! You dont understand game development! They are so open! Just listen to what Chris Roberts says. Unless its a lie or inconvenient, or conflicts with my dreams, then just listen to me. But leave them alone!

Trying to avoid the impassioned rhetoric from both camps here...

As I view the issue of SC as a merely interested party, I can see plainly that Chris Roberts is part of the continuing problem with the development schedule as a whole. His insistance on having every texture pass and addition come over his desk, or adding feature creep every time his imagination goes into full 'Star Wars' mode then dumping the content on his no doubt, exasperated devs is becoming more obvious...Hey, I like the snake-oil salesman and his infectious brand of imagination, but it's beginning to even put off the more tolerant backers and their continued run of good faith. I'm constantly reading from more than a few that the cash isn't going to be flowing again until CiG shove something of substance out the door...

I think we all trust the devs...same as we do here in ED, they're quite a capable bunch and very enthusiastic about the game they're hoping to ship out. Over a few months of looking into SC, I noticed a trend in practically all of the dev videos churned out by the SC/Sqn42 team...when describing the process in building any feature...there's always the comment that .."first we discuss as a team exactly what 'Chris' expects..."

I for one hope that CR realises this for himself at some point (or gets a reality slapping) that he's more a hindrance to the game development than a help and takes a step back from the micromanagement and let his teams across the globe build the damned game.

Last edited:

As I view the issue of SC as a merely interested party, I can see plainly that Chris Roberts is part of the continuing problem with the development schedule as a whole. His insistance on having every texture pass and addition come over his desk, or adding feature creep every time his imagination goes into full 'Star Wars' mode then dumping the content on his no doubt, exasperated devs is becoming more obvious...Hey, I like the snake-oil salesman and his infectious brand of imagination, but it's beginning to even put off the backers and their continued run of good faith.

I think we all trust the devs...same as we do here in ED, they're quite a capable bunch and very enthusiastic about the game they're hoping to ship out. Over a few months of looking into SC, I noticed a trend in practically all of the dev videos churned out by the SC/Sqn42 team...when describing the process in building any feature...there's always the comment that .."first we discuss as a team exactly what 'Chris' expects..."

I for one hope that CR realises this for himself at some point (or gets a reality slapping) that he's more a hindrance to the game development than a help and takes a step back from the micromanagement and let his teams across the globe build the damned game.

Yep this.

Ok, I get that. But I am not a game developer, and neither are most of the guys here (I'm guessing).

The only people in a position to give us info on release dates are CIG, and they miss them so often that even the ardent backers don't believe them. So either the staff at CIG are incredibly incompetent (which I dont believe for one second), or they lie about stuff to keep the hype up and keep the funding going.
Yes, it's worth noting that these aren't newbies we're talking about. Both Robertseseses have production posses that stretch back to the late '80s. While Chris could conceivably be excused (of sorts) for not having been in the game for over a decade, Erin's team was spending that decade churning games out (and anyway, the people Chris brought back hadn't been sitting idle all that time unlike him). And then, of course, there are the teams they contracted out work to, or just bought outright — all were established and with some development pedigree.

And these are the people in managerial positions — the one who make the estimates and plans. If some newbie right out of comp sci or art school might not be good at estimating completion times, then that shouldn't really matter because they've got experience adults supervising them. And yet…

Yes, it's worth noting that these aren't newbies we're talking about. Both Robertseseses have production posses that stretch back to the late '80s. While Chris could conceivably be excused (of sorts) for not having been in the game for over a decade, Erin's team was spending that decade churning games out (and anyway, the people Chris brought back hadn't been sitting idle all that time unlike him). And then, of course, there are the teams they contracted out work to, or just bought outright — all were established and with some development pedigree.

And these are the people in managerial positions — the one who make the estimates and plans. If some newbie right out of comp sci or art school might not be good at estimating completion times, then that shouldn't really matter because they've got experience adults supervising them. And yet…

Well yes, and no. In software development, often the management will ask the developers for estimates on how long their particular chunk of work will take. This is then compiled into a Gantt chart for planning purposes. So some of the fault lies with the developers underestimating the complexity of the task, the other fault with management changing the goalposts.

As I view the issue of SC as a merely interested party, I can see plainly that Chris Roberts is part of the continuing problem with the development schedule as a whole. His insistance on having every texture pass and addition come over his desk, or adding feature creep every time his imagination goes into full 'Star Wars' mode then dumping the content on his no doubt, exasperated devs is becoming more obvious...Hey, I like the snake-oil salesman and his infectious brand of imagination, but it's beginning to even put off the more tolerant backers and their continued run of good faith. I'm constantly reading from more than a few that the cash isn't going to be flowing again until CiG shove something of substance out the door...

Mole I am half way with you.
What is the evidence for
'His insistence on having every texture pass and addition come over his desk' I have not read that.
and
'adding feature creep every time his imagination goes into full 'Star Wars'

I only ask this as when I post things here I am asked to provide sources and evidence.
Feel free to ignore me

Last edited:
'His insistence on having every texture pass and addition come over his desk' I have not read that.

The only circumstantial evidence I can think of right now is the ship pipeline graphics from the ATV: https://gse.space/easymedia/store/image/694/979-69478e61.png, multiple parts of ship creation process needs an approval of not only the design team, but CR as well, who should have other, better things to do as a CEO. At least a part of the claim is made based on the rumours, which while not a truly reliable source, shouldn't be dismissed outright either.

Last edited:
Mole I am half way with you.
What is the evidence for
and
'adding feature creep every time his imagination goes into full 'Star Wars'

I only ask this as when I post things here I am asked to provide sources and evidence.
Feel free to ignore me

The comments in the Dev videos are self revealing...I'll find one as an example in a sec. In the meantime, there's a few instances where silly and mainly inconsequential things have taken up dev time in the rush to 3.0... like Chris explaining to the animation team how he would 'like' the additional animation of a player character to be able to sit at a bar, raise the glass to his lips realistically and drink whilst having the barman looking bored and polishing glasses...

Whilst all this stuff is "Muh Immershun!"...in the scope of what the baby PU is... as we're currently getting bored replaying in 2.6.3 and potentially what 3.0 will be, being the first baby step into item 2.0 and planetary stuff...isn't that damned important.

Edit: I'm sure this has been posted on here a dozen times already...but the comment is there at the beginning... Initially from RJ, who's a senior producer at Foundry 42...but it's certainly repeated throughout the vid. It's persistent micromanagement...coming from CR to the teams involved. If you look at the features in the Jira or MS project charts shown in this vid in particular...there's more than a few with (CR/Signoff) noted after the task.

[video=youtube_share;qOjXfNnhxf0]https://youtu.be/qOjXfNnhxf0[/video]

Last edited:
ike Chris explaining to the animation team how he would 'like' the additional animation of a player character to be able to sit at a bar, raise the glass to his lips realistically and drink whilst having the barman looking bored and polishing glasses...
You would like to think that somewhere at CIG there is a chart of things to add or change about the game and this is right at the bottom of this list, written on a torn piece of paper and stuck to the skirting board.

Last edited:
I'd go with neither if I were you, I've seen that claim before but I've always just assumed it was rubbish. If we start insulting people for believing outrageous unlikely things this threads going to get messy.
Bobs agree

The comments in the Dev videos are self revealing...I'll find one as an example in a sec. In the meantime, there's a few instances where silly and mainly inconsequential things have taken up dev time in the rush to 3.0... like Chris explaining to the animation team how he would 'like' the additional animation of a player character to be able to sit at a bar, raise the glass to his lips realistically and drink whilst having the barman looking bored and polishing glasses...

Whilst all this stuff is "Muh Immershun!"...in the scope of what the baby PU is... as we're currently getting bored replaying in 2.6.3 and potentially what 3.0 will be, being the first baby step into item 2.0 and planetary stuff...isn't that damned important.

Great I will wait for your documentary support. Only in the spirit of the forum you understand.

Doing a simple Google search comes up with a Derek smart blog/forum post claiming CiG execs cashing out and selling back their shares. No proof was given, and it was post December 13, 2016.

So I think we can move on :).

Ooooh linky please, I like a good warlording.

you guys have been played lolz :cool:

edit: also I ve been played myself. Here I was thinking "AWWWWW is that a unicorn? it looks ni....." BAM <THREAD CLOSED> Moderator rampage ^^

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom