Astronomy / Space Star progression by size

I hope somthing like this (with this graphics) would be implemented (in-game and in a kind of astro-computer). In fact for a star just the total mass describes a LOT of it, because much (but not all) depends on it.

This is the video I hope some designers of FRONTIER will look at (BTW the music is from Disney's "The Black Hole" and it gives me the chills):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEheh1BH34Q

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi pid,

Moved your post to here seemed the best place.

Making one of these vids using the E:D assets would probably be a good bit of marketing for them. Perhaps it could be used as a kind of pre-release teaser, to hype up that aspect of the game. Also one of the powers-of-ten vids where you zoom out to show the size of the galaxy, but this time with the scale taking in some of the ships, the size of the core systems, the size of the Empire, and the size of known space.

Making one of these vids using the E:D assets would probably be a good bit of marketing for them. Perhaps it could be used as a kind of pre-release teaser, to hype up that aspect of the game. Also one of the powers-of-ten vids where you zoom out to show the size of the galaxy, but this time with the scale taking in some of the ships, the size of the core systems, the size of the Empire, and the size of known space.

That's a good idea, perhaps we'll steal it. :p

Great video! As soon as I can get My Cobra MKIII long range, I'll see to 3700 light years from earth.

800px-Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris_fran%C3%A7ais.svg.png

I've been wondering how the game-engine will cope with those hyper-sized stars. It seems like they should be just too big to actually cope with the numbers. Also, they will presumably just start to look like a wall at some point, and the horizon will be a dead straight line, unless there's some kind of lens distortion.

Actually, it would be a lovely little detail if lens distortion was added to the feeds from camera views. If you watch footage of space taken with camcorders, you get weird inverted horizons. Probably not that difficult an effect to pull off, or that expensive processing wise either.

Last edited:
In reality a super sized star has a very short life and probably turns Nova before its solar system has stabilized, but its a game after all so anything is possible

H

Top Bottom