Star Trek: Voyager - route info?

Stealthie

Banned
Anybody know if there's any "official" information about the route Voyager traveled on the way back to Earth from the Delta quadrant?

I've done a bit of googling and I've got a rough idea of the route but nothing mentions specific systems as they might relate to the ED galaxy.

The "Ocampa" system and the Caretaker Array, for example, would seem to be somewhere in the Sagittarius Carina arm but further back along it, perhaps somewhere in the Qauthai sector.

I fancy following Voyager's path back from Beagle Point so any info' would be appreciated. [up]

Interesting Idea not sure myself. This might help though.

qJO8OuH.jpg

To bad their warp drive isn't as good as our FSD or they could have been back in a week.

Voyager is set in the years 2371-2378. Give them 926 more years and they'll get there.

It looks to me like the Delta quadrant, and the area they started, would be somewhere in the vicinity of Beagle point. I'm not sure that any of the star systems they went through would be synonomous with real stars, I mean most of the stars in this are procedurally generated, so you might be able to get a route going that's somewhat like this.

I flipped the map upside down as well, that will help you.

K9olfvc
K9olfvc
K9olfvc.jpg

The area around Hyphielie GR-N D6-9 might be close to where the array might be if it existed within the ED galaxy.

Last edited:
Anybody know if there's any "official" information about the route Voyager traveled on the way back to Earth from the Delta quadrant?

I've done a bit of googling and I've got a rough idea of the route but nothing mentions specific systems as they might relate to the ED galaxy.

The "Ocampa" system and the Caretaker Array, for example, would seem to be somewhere in the Sagittarius Carina arm but further back along it, perhaps somewhere in the Qauthai sector.

I fancy following Voyager's path back from Beagle Point so any info' would be appreciated. [up]

I like this idea, especially if you were to find an Easter Egg along those lines.

One thing I would like to do is to try to find the system that the Derelict Reaper was located in Mass Effect 2, and see if anything is there.

You never know.

Riôt

Stealthie

Banned
Y'know, looking at that map, from the way Voyager starts off by heading "SouthEast", it's almost like they were making their way around the Abyss.

I'm also a little confused about the way the route looks.
I seem to recall that the journey was supposed to take them 60 years.
The show lasted 7 years which, alone, would, only account for a little over 10% of the required distance.
Given a couple of things that happened along the way (Kes threw them several years forward and they used some kind of "catapult" with similar effect) it might be fair to assume they got 25% of the way home before future-Janeway showed up and got them into the Borg transwarp corridors.

All that being the case, I don't really understand why the route seems to show them completing a good 65%(?) of the journey (into the Beta quadrant) and it's only the last 35% which is a straight line (presumably the part they completed via the transwarp corridor).

I really need to get more info' about this.
In the mean-time, I'm just kind of making my way back along the Sag' Corina arm to get somewhere with decent star density.

Stealthie

Banned
I found another useful resource here:- http://www.stdimension.org/int/Cartography/Voyager.htm

Not much for actual locations but it goes into great detail with regard to speeds and distances traveled which is remarkably useful.

I think I'm going to have to put quite a bit of effort into this; get myself a detailed galactic map. Paste it into a drawing package and then draw a bunch of concentric circles on it to mark all the distance "milestones" (the things mentioned in specific episodes) and then I can look at the bearings along the arcs of those circles to find potential destinations along the way.

I remembered something else too; there was one storyline where Voyager blagged a bunch of Borg tech' and used it to travel something like 20KLy in one go, which helps explain how they almost made it out of the Delta quadrant in 7 years. [up]

I found another useful resource here:- http://www.stdimension.org/int/Cartography/Voyager.htm

Not much for actual locations but it goes into great detail with regard to speeds and distances traveled which is remarkably useful.

I think I'm going to have to put quite a bit of effort into this; get myself a detailed galactic map. Paste it into a drawing package and then draw a bunch of concentric circles on it to mark all the distance "milestones" (the things mentioned in specific episodes) and then I can look at the bearings along the arcs of those circles to find potential destinations along the way.

I remembered something else too; there was one storyline where Voyager blagged a bunch of Borg tech' and used it to travel something like 20KLy in one go, which helps explain how they almost made it out of the Delta quadrant in 7 years. [up]

There were a bunch of story lines where they managed to make short jumps. I think Kes used her telekinesis powers at one point to move them a long ways, they stole the Borg tech another time and they got back finally because Janeway travelled back in time and they were able to hijack the Borg transwarp arrays. I remember they went through those Vaadwaur slipstream passages.

There were a bunch of story lines where they managed to make short jumps. I think Kes used her telekinesis powers at one point to move them a long ways, they stole the Borg tech another time and they got back finally because Janeway travelled back in time and they were able to hijack the Borg transwarp arrays. I remember they went through those Vaadwaur slipstream passages.

Engineering your FSD for an extra 10ly doesn't seem so implausible now, does it :D

Looks like those 20KLy are mentioned on the small map under "5.1.3 Overview of the journey": "Late 2375, 20000 ly by transwarp"

Stealthie

Banned
Well, I have a starting point... sort of.

According to most sources, Voyager started off 75,000 Ly from Sol.
I might be wrong but, given that Beagle Point is "only" 65,000 Ly from Sol, I don't think that's going to be feasible within the ED galaxy so a bit of "scaling" is going to be required.
I monkeyed around with a map of the galaxy and superimposed Voyager's starting location onto it purely for the purposes of generating a bearing.
I could then use that bearing to calculate a distance to Beagle point.

I now know I need to, basically, travel along the Sag Carina Arm for about 17,325 Ly, staying as far "up" as possible, until I find a system on the same bearing as where Voyager started off.

Once I've done that I'll have my starting point and then I can scale the rest of the journey from that.

So, turn right at Beagle Point and go straight for about 17,325 Ly. [blah]

JLFg2a0.jpg

Well, I have a starting point... sort of.

According to most sources, Voyager started off 75,000 Ly from Sol.
I might be wrong but, given that Beagle Point is "only" 65,000 Ly from Sol, I don't think that's going to be feasible within the ED galaxy so a bit of "scaling" is going to be required.
I monkeyed around with a map of the galaxy and superimposed Voyager's starting location onto it purely for the purposes of generating a bearing.
I could then use that bearing to calculate a distance to Beagle point.

I now know I need to, basically, travel along the Sag Carina Arm for about 17,325 Ly, staying as far "up" as possible, until I find a system on the same bearing as where Voyager started off.

Once I've done that I'll have my starting point and then I can scale the rest of the journey from that.

So, turn right at Beagle Point and go straight for about 17,325 Ly. [blah]

Interesting. Do you have an image of the full map showing your estimated route from the Outer Solitude Void / Silentium border regions to Sol?

For Distant Worlds II we're contemplating a return journey expedition after the outbound leg, and whether to go "west" via the 1st & 2nd quadrants, or "east" via the 3rd & 4th quadrants. Retracting USS Voyager's historic journey home could be fun.

Last edited:

Stealthie

Banned
Interesting. Do you have an image of the full map showing your estimated route from the Outer Solitude Void / Silentium border regions to Sol?

Nope! :eek:

Maybe this is a little counter-intuitive but I want to try and figure this all out as accurately as possible, and the only way to scale it all accurately (that I can think of) is to find a starting system on the correct galactic bearing first and then, once I know the ED-distance to Sol, I can scale the entire journey and scale various milestones, distances per episode/season and, hopefully, locate nearby things such as ELWs and nebulas which featured in episodes at roughly the same time.

I'll probably be arriving in my target area within a couple of days, then it'll be a case of heading as far up/out along the correct bearing as possible in order to identify a likely starting system and then I'll be able to cobble together a much more detailed map by referring to EDSM and the in-game gal-map.

Nope! :eek:

Maybe this is a little counter-intuitive but I want to try and figure this all out as accurately as possible, and the only way to scale it all accurately (that I can think of) is to find a starting system on the correct galactic bearing first and then, once I know the ED-distance to Sol, I can scale the entire journey and scale various milestones, distances per episode/season and, hopefully, locate nearby things such as ELWs and nebulas which featured in episodes at roughly the same time.

I'll probably be arriving in my target area within a couple of days, then it'll be a case of heading as far up/out along the correct bearing as possible in order to identify a likely starting system and then I'll be able to cobble together a much more detailed map by referring to EDSM and the in-game gal-map.

Thats awesome! If you do manage to get a map together for this it would make for a great expeditionary route, either for the DW2 return leg, or other events people organize. For DW2 we'd need approximate locations of Voyager "waypoints" too (basically estimated locations where prominent episodes or systems where referenced), something that could be marked on the route. No rush though as DW isn't until Q4 2018 :)

Last edited:

Stealthie

Banned
Erk!

I was using various screengrabs from the TV series to obtain a bearing from Sol to the Ocampa system and had guesstimated it to be around 15°, which put the journey from Beagle Point to Ocampa at around 17,000Ly.

Turns out that was either a mistake due to perspective issues in the screengrabs or poetic licence by the prop' department.
The "official" bearing between Sol and Ocampa is 23.36° (as stated on the site I previously linked to) as described on the ST wiki and corroborated by various other map images I've since found.

That adds an extra 10,000Ly to the journey from Beagle Point to the region where Ocampa might be found, for a total of around 27,000Ly.

I guess it probably means something that the thought of an extra 10,000Lys doesn't really bother me that much. [where is it]

*EDIT*

Just got around to looking at whereabouts the correct bearing is going to put me and, interestingly, it seems like it's going to be in the Hyphielee sector of the Sag Carina Arm which extends quite a bit further outward than the rest of the arm.
Guess I'll see just how navigable it is soon enough.

Last edited:

Stealthie

Banned
Bit of a non-update but I just wanted an excuse to moan.

I flew the 30kLy from Beagle Point to the correct location where Voyager would have started off. That bit was pretty easy.

In the mean-time, I was googling for more info' about Voyager's route and I became aware of a book called "Star Trek: Star Charts", which isn't, apparently, completely "canon" but it's the closest thing to an official guide to flying around in the Star Trek Universe.
So, being a complete nutcase, I bought a copy of it off Amazon for £25.

It arrived this morning and I was disappointed to find that a lot of the other images of Voyager's route are nothing like the "official" route shown in the book.
As a result of this, I've pretty-much had to delete all the work I've done and start again.

It's not that big a deal though.
As long as I have a start position and an end position (Earth, duh!), it's just a case of scanning pages from the book, pasting them into Autocad, scaling them to suit the size of the galaxy map I'm using and then tracing the route from them.

I've also been spending quite a bit of time watching episodes of Voyager and jotting down notes for each episode to create a comprehensive "database" of all the astronomical POIs Voyager encountered on it's journey.
I doubt that many people will want to try and bother finding many of the POIs I've recorded, or that they'd actually be possible to find, but I might as well provide as much information as possible and then people can have as much fun as they want trying to locate anything comparable.

Just been scanning the pages of the book.
Will start scaling them tomorrow and get them pasted onto the galactic map then I should have something pretty to show you. [up]

Top Bottom