[Starting Screen] - Make Open Opt-In instead of Opt-Out

Title says it all, move the Solo option to the starting default, and force people to move the selector to Open.

So, a lot of people complain that being in Open promotes seal clubbing, and other forms of bullying behavior.

It would be beneficial to ensure that you CHOOSE to play in Open instead of landing there by default.

Title says it all, move the Solo option to the starting default, and force people to move the selector to Open.

So, a lot of people complain that being in Open promotes seal clubbing, and other forms of bullying behavior.

It would be beneficial to ensure that you CHOOSE to play in Open instead of landing there by default.

Or,

You could simply read the menu before pressing buttons.

I'm only in open because I'm too lazy to move the mouse to solo

If people are too bone idle to move the cursor a bit or press right a couple of times they have greater issues than accidentally opening.

This suggestion would just reverse the 'issue' anyway.

You can't stop people from being idiots, other than putting them in camps......

There is an issue with ED sometimes accidentally registering a double-click on the Continue button, which can send you into Open beacause that's what is under most of the Continue Button.

To avoid it, always click on the rightmost end of Continue. If you accidentally skip through the next screen, you'll end up at the Private Group selection screen, and you'll know you made a wrong turn.

Make blocking opt-out instead of opt-in, so that anyone that kills another player in cold blood without provocation (anything that generates notoriety) is automatically blocked. :D

How do you establish what constitutes a provocation in a game with important but obscure systems like the BGS that some players may or may not be aware of? Ganking is considered a problem in Elite due to a lack of information and poor balancing, it's a pretty sad and shortsighted solution to remove all multiplayer dynamism or threat, although admittedly it's an easier "fix" than, y'know, actually addressing the issues actively through design.

How do you establish what constitutes a provocation in a game with important but obscure systems like the BGS that some players may or may not be aware of? Ganking is considered a problem in Elite due to a lack of information and poor balancing, it's a pretty sad and shortsighted solution to remove all multiplayer dynamism or threat, although admittedly it's an easier "fix" than, y'know, actually addressing the issues actively through design.
Ooops, I forgot to use my "I'm just kidding!" font... :p

out of curiosity, when you start a new game what does that safe bubble protect you from and how is that policed?

Or,

You could simply read the menu before pressing buttons.
I've read in a couple of threads I am unable to locate in which some players on occasion have experienced the same thing had. On occasion, like when one is at the Jameson crash site and or at Dav's Hope. Where one can and usually does relog numerous time. That open mode will simply start on its own. As one who for years only played in solo, often found myself in open much to my surprise. And on one occasion when it happened, I entered Deciat and was promptly destroyed by someone.

Most popular mode is the default selection. Pretty common design choice.

But is it actually popular because people want to play with others, or is it simply popular because players select it because it is the default option? Out of the estimated 50-60% of players who play in open, how many deliberately choose it to interact with others vs doing it just because the interface implies that it is how the game should be played?

Button placement has quite the psychological impact on players, particularly those new to the game. People tend to assume the topmost options on the menus are the important ones, hence why single-player focused games will usually have single-player/campaign as the top option then followed by multiplayer; contrast this with multiplayer-focused games that have multiplayer as the topmost option with practice/challenges/botmatch as the second option.

I go with the "last mode" or "select your own default mode" suggestion which should include which PG if not open or solo. But, while slightly annoying, this is pretty low down on my "list of things I wish FDev would fix" list.

Top Bottom