State of the Game

Smart one, nobody can follow you through that smell. You get to live.

Dogs wouldn't mind.

Powerplay Barreh has been training this one.

xeno-dog.jpg

I love brussel sprouts.
The best bit is getting a stem of sprouts and waving it about like you're at a pagan fertility dance.

They do suffer from an image problem, though.
From a distance they look a bit like a green pineapple so if they had been called the 'winter pineapple' people would have yummed it down on pizza.
brussels-sprouts.jpg

What could have also tipped you off is that I'd never wax poetic about a crappy car from the 70's or 80's. Cuz i'm not old enough where those ugly underpowered deathtraps are nostalgic
...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... shall I meet you at the traffic lights?

Welcome to my third favourite car:
Screen-Shot-2017-08-03-at-9.58.19-AM.png

Mine wasn't LHD, but otherwise, yup, it was Guards Red with the whale fin spoiler. Epic! Loved it!!!

Last edited:
Hmm. Okay. So.

At this point some are likely scratching their heads, thinking 'Porsche (Boxster) first and (911) third, and, erm, a Renault flipping Fuego second... erm... really... erm... REALLY!? REALLY!!!!'

And the simple truth about my 911 is (sadly) the amount of horrid road rage/envy/stupidity it attracted. And this is the sole reason I got rid of it. I was on the receiving end of so much stupid, horrible and violently dangerous driving that I started to dread taking it out, and at the end of the day my life and that of my loved ones wasn't worth the risk. It's such a shame as, as a car, that model 911 was (albeit with unbelievably shoddy ergonomics) an absolute delight to drive. Sadly however, it was also a dangerous-moron-magnet.

My 'favourite' memory was being tailed on the M25, in congested but fast moving traffic, by a woman who sat about an inch from my rear bumper the entire time. At 80-90 mph. I pulled over as soon as I could, and pulled off thereafter, happy to be on A and B roads. Horrendous. Sadly I have also had a couple of really quite horrible incidents in the Boxster, but per-mile I was basically ignored compared to the 911.

As a mate of mine quite sagely says, no matter how good a driver you think you are, or how fast you think your car can go, there is always someone better and/or faster around. Or as I prefer it: I simply want to go from A to B. Safely. Ta.

Last edited:
Brussels sprouts are such a root of evil, that you can't remove them the proper way. See, the first reaction would be to burn them, with a flamethrower or whatever flaming tool you can find. But then, they would smell, you know that smell. Cooking brussel sprouts smell.

So, you are left with a conundrum, do I burn them, but then expose myself to such horrible smell, or do I run away, but then they are not removed and may spread.

Obviously, the only proper answer is "nuke it from orbit", but Humanity is not yet ready, and it would kill us to. Hopefully, in the future we'll leave the planet and can finally ends this Brussel sprout tyranny once and for all.
I like Brussel sprouts a lot and have no issues with them digestion-wise - but even if I would, I would still eat them. I have problems with these big white beans which are served with greek foodstuffs quite often - but I still eat them, because I really like them - even if I have to suffer for a few hours afterwards. But brussel sprouts, no problem at all.

Hmm. Okay. So.

At this point some are likely scratching their heads, thinking 'Porsche (Boxster) first and (911) third, and, erm, a Renault flipping Fuego second... erm... really... erm... REALLY!? REALLY!!!!'

And the simple truth about my 911 is (sadly) the amount of horrid road rage/envy/stupidity it attracted. And this is the sole reason I got rid of it. I was on the receiving end of so much stupid, horrible and violently dangerous driving that I started to dread taking it out, and at the end of the day my life and that of my loved ones wasn't worth the risk. It's such a shame as, as a car, that model 911 was (albeit with unbelievably shoddy ergonomics) an absolute delight to drive. Sadly however, it was also a dangerous-moron-magnet.

My 'favourite' memory was being tailed on the M25, in congested but fast moving traffic, by a woman who sat about an inch from my rear bumper the entire time. At 80-90 mph. I pulled over as soon as I could, and pulled off thereafter, happy to be on A and B roads. Horrendous. Sadly I have also had a couple of really quite horrible incidents in the Boxster, but per-mile I was basically ignored compared to the 911.

As a mate of mine quite sagely says, no matter how good a driver you think you are, or how fast you think your car can go, there is always someone better and/or faster around. Or as I prefer it: I simply want to go from A to B. Safely. Ta.
I'd love to own an old school model Renault Twingo. My wife had one (but got crunched in a pile up) and I love how they look.

...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... shall I meet you at the traffic lights?

Welcome to my third favourite car:
Screen-Shot-2017-08-03-at-9.58.19-AM.png

Mine wasn't LHD, but otherwise, yup, it was Guards Red with the whale fin spoiler. Epic! Loved it!!!

Unless you've replaced that car's engine with something much newer and much more powerful...then meeting me at the traffic lights wouldn't go well for that old-timer.

Plus isn't racing in a porsche the main lesson the 9 fast and furious movies teach us is the most dangerous thing you can do in a car?

Does anyone have an electric car?

I've always wondered how they drive in comparison to an internal combustion / gears car. Do electric cars have gears? Is it like driving a milk float (i.e. constant acceleration?).

some have gears, some do not. except in very under-powered cases the main difference is instant torque and basically a flat torque curve across the entire power band.

so there is no gradual acceleration as the motor enters it's power band. it's more or less instant for electric.

I imagine my next car will be electric. which hopefully i wont be in the market to purchase for at least another 6-10 years. Doesn't seem to make any sense to buy a gas one that late in the game.
At the minute I think the battery tech is almost but not quite there for a lot of makers. GM are recalling all EV models because of battery issues, and makers like Tesla have had problems with fires as well.

I'd be interested in knowing how battery tech deals with crashes these days :D

Hmm. Okay. So.

I used to have a lotus 7 style kit car with a tuned up V8 in it kicking out about 700bhp/ton with side pipes and not a lot of silencer.... best fun was always at traffic lights with some bell end boy racer revving the brussels off his souped up whatever, slipping the clutch, inching forward... fun to match him, barking and rumbling... and then pulling sedately away while he went screaming off in a cloud of rubber and smoke and flying con rods... always amused me...

And the obligatory morning kitty-pic...
Dachshundapillar.jpg

Managed to catch up with what I'd missed over the weekend so thread now mentally up to date... interesting ship talk (if dangerously off topic)

Out of interest - couple of questions to the aficionados of the thread... next build I think going to be a Krait Phantom to replace/sit along my Asp for 'sploring - what's the cockpit vision like in VR? That is the saving grace of the Asp but the engine noise isn't the best and I gather the Krait is pretty special...

And in people's opinion, what is the best sounding ship in Elite??

And the obligatory morning kitty-pic...
View attachment 258734

Managed to catch up with what I'd missed over the weekend so thread now mentally up to date... interesting ship talk (if dangerously off topic)

Out of interest - couple of questions to the aficionados of the thread... next build I think going to be a Krait Phantom to replace/sit along my Asp for 'sploring - what's the cockpit vision like in VR? That is the saving grace of the Asp but the engine noise isn't the best and I gather the Krait is pretty special...

And in people's opinion, what is the best sounding ship in Elite??
I don't know if it is the best - but memorable sounding ships include the Adder and the Dolphin, which tends to sound likes it's really, really trying...

Back
Top Bottom