State of the Game

You can time travel as an observer if the universe is deterministic and you have enough computing power - in Devs for example they did this.
always this argument of determinism in the meaning of a predictable universe - this is old and outdated - chaos is deterministic and it is not predictable, we know this since roughly 60 years already and still people bring this argument of a deterministic universe being predictable - it is just not.

You're welcome!

245800380_4644621712289156_4249904761637694792_n.jpg

PS Good moaning everyone and Bottom Hat.

The game has different modes so different people can play in different ways that they want and hopefully enjoy. This system has issues and drawbacks. They, FDev, need the audience to be large enough to continue to support the game so they're trying to cover as many players as possible, and in doing so, sacrifices are made to accommodate that system and their vision.

Are they the right or best sacrifices? Are they the most efficient or logical? Is it perfect? These are irrelevant, beyond personally for each of us, questions because it is their game. They will make it what they want and are willing to compromise on with the community. Nothing more.

What could be is irrelevant. The endless arguments regarding the way things could/should be, while in some ways gratifying for having spent the time to have them appear to be more devisive than cohesive.

My 25 year old and I have a longstanding disagreement regarding humanity and its future. I would love to be able to talk about that right now. But it is a, largely, sociopolitical subject so decorum and forum policies prevent me. But it is relevant regarding the human behavior aspect of all of this.

Elite Dangerous is unique and imperfect and it is what we have. Yes it needs work. Work is being performed. And while there is concern for how much and how long and what features and which new things and when will consoles get Odyssey; it is what we have we either use it or not. There are no other options.

Personally, I like the fact that the game exists and that everyone can play it in a manner that suits them and that is neither better than nor inferior to how anyone else wants to play it.

TL:DR Play the game or not, its everyone's individual choice and don't tell anyone else how or in what manner they should choose. The player base will be generally, on average, happier and more constructive in the long run.

so to you, the state of the game is that the playerbase is happy... and i suppose we see this in the forum and reviews and elsewhere?

I see it like the choices made to cater to as many different players has made the game inferior to all of those different players in different ways. That choice to link them all was to leverage a shared galaxy to cash in on the mmo leanings of modern gamers so it could get funded as well as differentiate itself from the likes of X3 and previous space combat games.

I think a better option to cater to a wide gamut of gamers is to set the game up so that players can run their own servers in addition to the official server. Fdev can focus on their shared canonical narrative with compromised gameplay to not alienate anyone. While allowing the game to be played in a modded fashion ..either alone or with populations of players who want a different experience. Versions that can take community created content (narratives , bgs events etc), rebalanced units and re-scripted npcs and missions and all that. Allowing the game to exist in an uncompromised way for all gamers who want to play it the way they want to play it. And this would have almost no downside from being separate from the official galaxy ...because the experiment of the mmo-ized elite is mostly a failure. Most players dont interact directly with other humans...so their actions in the game might as well just be simulated. And you gain so much.. new players could experience events they missed in this linear narrative.. content that was once single use could be used again and again by players.

the playerbase has always been and still is, foundationally divided and in constant turmoil because the game exists in this delicate balance of compromise where just a bit towards any direction alienates them. That's not a healthy situation if you care about your players ...because then you get this forum and the constant noise it generates by players scared other more noisy players are going to sway fdev to change the game in a way that lessens their experience ...instead of clear ...actionable feedback.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease? Sure.

Personally I think the level of unhappiness is largely self inflicted. But that's my view. Acceptance of reality is the way forward into enjoyment or abandonment...though that is not to say that wants and discussions should not continue.

But, even the ones who squeak the loudest to the least, who still play the game, MUST be getting at least some enjoyment out of it, with some small portion possibly playing for other reasons. Otherwise, why play?

Logical? Yes, I think so...

It may be a steamy pile, but it is the best steamy pile that I have to play and I accept it for what it is and hope, but not expect, that it can be more.

always this argument of determinism in the meaning of a predictable universe - this is old and outdated - chaos is deterministic and it is not predictable, we know this since roughly 60 years already and still people bring this argument of a deterministic universe being predictable - it is just not.
It depends, current thinking errs away from it but not all of it.

Its unsettling to some because some explanations point to determinism, at least in theory. For example quantum entanglement- it happens faster than light, and one explanation of that was proposed by John Stewart Bell called Superdeterminism- in that things 'know' how to entangle because in effect its already happened.

Its a fun concept and is very thought provoking.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OefsPBDOcFE

Plus, if your universe was deterministic, you'd have a solid case for your reality to be a simulation of some sort. Its why in Devs the programmers flipped out so much because.....they might be living in a simulation as well, watching a simulation they created knowing someone else could have created (and be observing) them and their reality.

On game things- I for some reason found immense mirthality in last nights livestream with Arthur and Sally landing a Beluga and wreaking havoc at a base.

When they ran outside and the equivalent of the QE2 is sat there I cracked up.

I think....I think my head is going wrong a bit.
Yeah, landing a vette at those settlements is hilarious also, quite mind-bending when you think the settlement is a reasonable size and then you see the ship lurking behind it :)

Seems like I left the stream last night at the wrong point - once they avoided showing the FPS drop on landing by having Sally start the instance I wandered off, I understand that having lots of CMDRs in an instance is working well though :)

Plus, if your universe was deterministic, you'd have a solid case for your reality to be a simulation of some sort. Its why in Devs the programmers flipped out so much because.....they might be living in a simulation as well, watching a simulation they created knowing someone else could have created (and be observing) them and their reality.

Talking of Marvel movies (sort of were before) anyone seen Black Widow?

Movie theatres no go when it came out I watched on DVD last night and speaking as a 2000AD fan have to say I thought it was excellent. A touch of the Winter Soldier / cold war thriller - and tech - with some genuinely touching and thrilling moments, the circumstances of the first escape were 1000% incredible for me. Laughed out loud many times, Yelena was hilarious and once REALLY hard (Red Guardian gets darted). Willing to recommend, for me it's up there as one of the best. Highly entertaining and a couple of great new characters. I'm not really shilling but anyone seen it, to give me validation?

Talking of Marvel movies (sort of were before) anyone seen Black Widow?

Movie theatres no go when it came out I watched on DVD last night and speaking as a 2000AD fan have to say I thought it was excellent. A touch of the Winter Soldier / cold war thriller - and tech - with some genuinely touching and thrilling moments, the circumstances of the first escape were 1000% incredible for me. Laughed out loud many times, Yelena was hilarious and once REALLY hard (Red Guardian gets darted). Willing to recommend, for me it's up there as one of the best. Highly entertaining and a couple of great new characters. I'm not really shilling but anyone seen it, to give me validation?
I haven't seen it.

I'd kill for a 2000AD Orlok series though, or Nikolai Dante film.

Top Bottom