State of the Game

It would just be her in her room with people conveyor belt hugging her and whispering empowerment.

I recently watched the episode where Picard visits his brother and breaks down from his Borg PTSD.....I then compared that to the panto S1 Picard and wondered what the hell happened.

I rewatched Picard last week and by rewatch I mean I skipped large parts of episodes.

Why? I just wanted to see if it was a bad as the first time I watched it.

It was.

After S3 I just can't bring myself to watch it, that and Picard S2.

Instead I binge watch decent sci fi anime and remember the good times when writing was king. My kids love new Dr Who and I just can't enter the room when its on.
I used to love Who when i was a kid, mostly Pertwee and the Tom Baker. I think it was the music that scared me the most, Blake's Seven had that going on as well and wasn't particularly hero friendly.
I think by Colin Baker though I was done and then the little annoying guy.

I didn't mind the first two new doctors, mostly because story but it got tired after that.
My happy place is 80's & 90's stuff and some exceptions.

I really liked seasons 1-3 and I don't think season 4 was as bad as others think it is although out of the books it was by far the weakest. Season 5 I really wanted to like but between Naomi crying for ten episodes and the weakening of the asteroid attack on Earth in comparison to the books, it was all just pretty meh.
I find The Expanse is one of the few adaptations where I end up arguing with myself over which is better - and end up with a mix. Like I think Drummer is better than any of her parts in the books, but I don't find Marco at all scary on tv.

The writers are also producers (and writers) on the show, which helps explain why they stay so close to the source material, but it does mean they rely on the books sometimes and make the tv show alone impenetrable - having a whole episode of Naomi crying on a ship only made sense if you had a clue what she was up to - the tv never made it clear. Ty Frank's increasingly annoyed tweets explaining it to people were classics :)

Looking forward to seeing if they can land series 6 successfully - I find the book ending is .... underwhelming - despite the actually book being one of the better ones.

Last edited:
I used to love Who when i was a kid, mostly Pertwee and the Tom Baker. I think it was the music that scared me the most, Blake's Seven had that going on as well and wasn't particularly hero friendly.
I think by Colin Baker though I was done and then the little annoying guy.

I didn't mind the first two new doctors, mostly because story but it got tired after that.
My happy place is 80's & 90's stuff and some exceptions.
That pretty much reflects my sci-fi / who experience. Really loved Blakes 7 as well. Watched some again recently - OK the sets are very wobbly, but some of the ideas / situations they covered were very forward. Even the beginning where Blake is convicted of 'child molestation'.
The whole state controlling the populace by drugs etc.

Suppose that's why it used to go out later in the evening

I find The Expanse is one of the few adaptations where I end up arguing with myself over which is better - and end up with a mix. Like I think Drummer is better than any of her parts in the books, but I don't find Marcos at all scary on tv.

The writers are also producers (and writers) on the show, which helps explain why they stay so close to the source material, but it does mean they rely on the books sometimes and make the tv show alone impenetrable - having a whole episode of Naomi crying on a ship only made sense if you had a clue what she was up to - the tv never made it clear. Ty Frank's increasingly annoyed tweets explaining it to people were classics :)

Looking forward to seeing if they can land series 6 successfully - I find the book ending is .... underwhelming - despite the actually book being one of the better ones.
One thing that really spanked my gears was in S5 how much really, really important detail was hidden around the set- for example when Marcos agents used Naomis reactor popping code and you had to really watch what Marco was watching to understand things (bearing in mind the scene was him stood on an upper deck looking at a monitor while the focus of the scene is with his son below.

If Ty had written the scene differently (along with a fair chunk of others) S5 would have felt less fan service and more functional like early SyFy seasons were.

That pretty much reflects my sci-fi / who experience. Really loved Blakes 7 as well. Watched some again recently - OK the sets are very wobbly, but some of the ideas / situations they covered were very forward. Even the beginning where Blake is convicted of 'child molestation'.

I don't think i understood a lot of what was going on with it beyond spaceships and hair curler jousting but it was on at 7pm so before bedtime.
Those were the rules back then.
:)

Points of View was fun after the last episode too :D

I find The Expanse is one of the few adaptations where I end up arguing with myself over which is better - and end up with a mix. Like I think Drummer is better than any of her parts in the books, but I don't find Marco at all scary on tv.
TV Drummer is fantastic but the show itself has been hobbled a bit because she's playing so many parts which I presume was a cost-cutting exercise and also to not have too many people dipping in and out of the show from one season to the next.
Yup, I also enjoy his tweets.
Hopefully it's better than five but at six episodes long I feel they might sprint to the end just like the source material.

I like women's snatch.

NWNfla5.png

B7 is great. Proper thespians and a decent script make it feel more like watching a play than a sci-fi tv series and helped get over some of the dodgier robot / alien costumes.
We got the Dutch version of the boxset as it was cheaper - I've since found our "speel alles" is not a secret extra episode on the DVD.

Back
Top Bottom