State of the Game

If you have played (like me) a lot of FPS games, it helps to map the keys you are familiar with to the same actions in EDO. Being left handed (mouse hand) I use the cursor cluster and surrounding keys for all of my shooter games, I can still play in VR just because of muscle memory.

Indeed it is... Home made or from a tin, both can be great!

Same here, playing with mouse on the left. Well, doing anything computer-related with mouse on the left. Arrow keys and numeric pads are for movements and quick commands.

It means that when I leave my ship/SRV, the hand that controls direction doesn't change, just moves from joystick to numeric pad/arrow keys.

:D S
Me too.
I play E : D keys only - the old ones from elite 84 so SX<> etc. For horizons i use the numpad. I've never managed to get a controller that I liked.

I'd love to get VR but don't know how the disconnect between keys vs the in ship HOTAS would work. I also have a dodgy eye so can't se in 3d properly IRL - I've had a go at the blue / red glasses with E : D and its mental!

I love scampi crisps
p07vdzld.jpg

Marcus is happy.

I also have a dodgy eye so can't se in 3d properly IRL
My left eye has a ridiculous amount of correction (although less as I've aged) around 6.5 dioptres so have the bottom of a pepsi bottle as a lens... Even uncorrected in VR I still get great effect, I'm due an eye test and new specs in January so aim to add prescription inserts into the Index after getting an accurate prescription.

I can't bring myself to do it. I've got an Oculus Quest and was able to use it via their Oculus link software (haven't tried in a while). I gotta say that it was visually amazing, but the sheer amount of controls the game needs, I can't do it all "by touch" especially now with the on-foot keyboardy stuff.
Ive got pretty much everything mapped to my HOTAS. If I did onfoot combat, then my setup wouldn't be good enough, but for walking and scanning etc, all is ok

It helps being able to touch type. But otherwise I can recommend the X-56 for the sheer amount of controls right at your fingertips.
I can, but when I'm sitting back in my chair and have to lean forward to use the keyboard for anything then it takes a bit of time to find "home" - literally like fumbling in the dark. My HOTAS is a bit mental, got the Virpil CM-2 throttle which has more hats, switches, and knobs than I know what to do with.

I can, but when I'm sitting back in my chair and have to lean forward to use the keyboard for anything then it takes a bit of time to find "home" - literally like fumbling in the dark. My HOTAS is a bit mental, got the Virpil CM-2 throttle which has more hats, switches, and knobs than I know what to do with.
I locate the arrow keys with my right thumb, when moving from stick to keyboard input. Everything else is then where it always is. Helps having a grand old mechanical keyboard.

Here's my setup from 1984, try playing EDO with that:
WICO.jpg

PS: OK so maybe there were also a few inputs from the C64 keyboard, but stating that would spoil the dramatic effect.

:D S

Back
Top Bottom