Ships Stealth Clipper Setup

Stealth Combat Clipper Build

My CMDR Solaris is a happy man this week finally getting to Baron and getting his shiny new Imperial Clipper. Gone a more multi-role 'cheap' build for now but playing around with the config possibilities got me thinking of trying something different, a Stealth version.

I came up with this build:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=603,5TP5TP7u57u501Q0Wg0Wg3wA,319Y9Y7_7_9Y7_6k,0Bk16y15O4_w13q13q9qI2UI

Figured shields would be futile to fit, if I am able to keep Silent Running going most of the time, so concentrated on an armored hull with this build having +480 armor. Obviously, that still puts at risk the sub-modules, but hoping silent running will help negate taking those out as easily. Class 7 internal slot could be changed to a shield still as there is enough power, or leave the cargo bay for some smuggling on the side. A-spec for the most, with lower heat selections for the weapons.

The only other thing would be a shiny black paint job (hope we get one soon!) :)

I've never tried something like this before. Has anyone else tried a Silent Running Combat build on a Clipper before? Any tips or improvements you can suggest?

Might still not be as tough as a Shield spec build, but could make for some fun combat!

Last edited:
'cos you are using large ship for stealth smuggling/silent running :D

Which is also white with shiny neon lights.

You don't need stealth in the Clipper, just make it as light as possible, equip a decent shield, and enter the station at 350m/s. your main asset is speed, you are not giving anyone time to scan you. You can use chaff to delay scans for extra safety, but I've never needed it myself.

Thats how you smuggle with a Clipper.

Last edited:
'cos you are using large ship for stealth smuggling/silent running :D

I didn't know the size of the ship mattered, thought it was only the heat signature that shows on the radar?

So are all big ships bad for Silent Running?

Which is also white with shiny neon lights.

You don't need stealth in the Clipper, just make it as light as possible, equip a decent shield, and enter the station at 350m/s. your main asset is speed, you are not giving anyone time to scan you. You can use chaff to delay scans for extra safety, but I've never needed it myself.

Thats how you smuggle with a Clipper.

I was actually thinking more of a combat build than a smuggling build. I have a dark blue skin on it at the moment, so it doesn't stand out too much :)

Is stealth combat even a thing? I mean, you will not have shields once the actual engagement starts.

Stealth combat only when your shields are down and you don't want to run away. Turn on silent running and have your heat sinks on standby.

But that's just as last resort. I personally want my shields to be up and running as long as possible. And when I loose them, i'll switch to silent running only if an enemy has 15% or so hull left.

But yeah, i think clipper is too big to consider "stealth combat" or smuggling in it. I'd choose something smaller and nimbler.

Last edited:
But yeah, i think clipper is too big to consider "stealth combat" or smuggling in it. I'd choose something smaller and nimbler.

He said he doesn't want to smuggle with it.

But as I said the Clipper is a VERY good smuggler, its just reliant on speed instead of stealth.

He said he doesn't want to smuggle with it.

But as I said the Clipper is a VERY good smuggler, its just reliant on speed instead of stealth.
Can't agree on that. Bigger ships have more chance of being scanned, and boosting in a space port takes a lot of skill and some time to line up the perfect entrance vector. I would choose cobra, pack it with heat sinks and enter ports using silent running. But that's not the point of this topic.

Since speed runs are being knocked in the new update stealth is of new importance for smuggling anyway but offtopic...

If you are doing PVP stealth do not use any large ships with exhuast trails like Clipper, Python etc since any decent player can track you using them. I'd use an FDL/Viper or a Cobra.

For PVE I have no idea if the enemies will even register that you are in stealth mode and have no idea how it'd influence things...

Can't agree on that. Bigger ships have more chance of being scanned, and boosting in a space port takes a lot of skill and some time to line up the perfect entrance vector. I would choose cobra, pack it with heat sinks and enter ports using silent running. But that's not the point of this topic.

I've never been caught, even with wanted status, never even had to use chaff, and the Clipper is so maneuverable is not that hard to enter the station at top speeds. This is personal experience, not theory.

Last edited:
My CMDR Solaris is a happy man this week finally getting to Baron and getting his shiny new Imperial Clipper. Gone a more multi-role 'cheap' build for now but playing around with the config possibilities got me thinking of trying something different, a Stealth version.

I came up with this build:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=603,5TP5TP7u57u501Q0Wg0Wg3wA,319Y9Y7_7_9Y7_6k,0Bk16y15O4_w13q13q9qI2UI

Figured shields would be futile to fit, if I am able to keep Silent Running going most of the time, so concentrated on an armored hull with this build having +480 armor. Obviously, that still puts at risk the sub-modules, but hoping silent running will help negate taking those out as easily. Class 7 internal slot could be changed to a shield still as there is enough power, or leave the cargo bay for some smuggling on the side. A-spec for the most, with lower heat selections for the weapons.

The only other thing would be a shiny black paint job (hope we get one soon!) :)

I've never tried something like this before. Has anyone else tried a Silent Running Combat build on a Clipper before? Any tips or improvements you can suggest?

Might still not be as tough as a Shield spec build, but could make for some fun combat!

Splendid idea. Might get one and try it out. Can you get the clipper cheap anywhere?

Since I've been running the clipper (and that's been for quite a while now), the times I have been been targeted for a scan while docking can be counted on 2 hands. The times that they succeeded with a scan can be counted on 1 hand.
Either they changed the system in between my ships, or the clipper is the perfect ship to get in unscanned.
You approach the mailslot at full speed. At around 2~3 km away you deploy landing gear. It comes out just before you enter the mail slot, and it will slow you down to safe docking speed.
The clippers yaw rate is just incredibly good, so high speed docking is reletively easy with this ship. For sure a lot easier than with an asp.
Just learn how to approach with high speed and you're good to go.

No need for stealth on this ship. It has speed and manauverability.

Just get a 4A shield and it makes a perfect trader. Don't worry about interdictions. You'll outrun next to anything.
This is how I run it:
trade setup:
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=603,5TP5TP7u57u501Q01Q3wA0_g,2-9Y9Y7_8S9Y7_6k,0Bk0AA07207205U05U7dg7dg
Or get a 6A and some boosters and take it out into some intense combat.
combat setup:
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=603,5TP5TP7u57u501Q01Q3wA0_g,2-9Y9Y7_8S9Y7_6k,0Bk7UI0720727fE7fE7dg9qI

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think some of you might have misunderstood that I was looking at this as a combat build rather than smuggling. I gather from the replies that this might not something people have really tried before (or at least not on a larger ship).

I've used Silent Running in limited use to smuggle and get away from targets before, but never seen anyone fighting with it. The Clipper seemed like a good option, mainly due to the strong hull it already has as default (and weaker shields), and good expansion options to kit it out and fast getaway speeds if it all goes south.

The biggest query I have is around if you could remain in Silent Running for a decent enough period to see this work, ideally if someone has tried it first hand.

Longer periods without the opponent being able to target you properly or your sub-systems could greatly reduce the damage they can deal. I think a lot of pilots would struggle tracking their target even if it is a bigger ship (with trails). If you need to release the heat you can drop a sink or come back out of SR for a short time and drop a Chaff etc. You would also have an advantage that you would not need any PIPs in systems during a fight so those resources could be put into weapons or engines.

Would be more costly to run in repairs, more risky if you come across a skilled pilot too, but see there could be a lot of tactical benfits if used properly.

Edit: I like the idea of swapping out the Class 7 module for a Shield Gen. That woud allow fighting without SR for weaker ships, and can use it up before switching to SR in longer engagements. That would give the Clipper about 300Mj Sheilds, and 750 hull armor. Also, might be good to add an AMFU to the build.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone! I think some of you might have misunderstood that I was looking at this as a combat build rather than smuggling. I gather from the replies that this might not something people have really tried before (or at least not on a larger ship).

I've used Silent Running in limited use to smuggle and get away from targets before, but never seen anyone fighting with it. The Clipper seemed like a good option, mainly due to the strong hull it already has as default (and weaker shields), and good expansion options to kit it out and fast getaway speeds if it all goes south.

The biggest query I have is around if you could remain in Silent Running for a decent enough period to see this work, ideally if someone has tried it first hand.

Longer periods without the opponent being able to target you properly or your sub-systems could greatly reduce the damage they can deal. I think a lot of pilots would struggle tracking their target even if it is a bigger ship (with trails). If you need to release the heat you can drop a sink or come back out of SR for a short time and drop a Chaff etc. You would also have an advantage that you would not need any PIPs in systems during a fight so those resources could be put into weapons or engines.

Would be more costly to run in repairs, more risky if you come across a skilled pilot too, but see there could be a lot of tactical benfits if used properly.

Edit: I like the idea of swapping out the Class 7 module for a Shield Gen. That woud allow fighting without SR for weaker ships, and can use it up before switching to SR in longer engagements. That would give the Clipper about 300Mj Sheilds, and 750 hull armor. Also, might be good to add an AMFU to the build.

I can confirm that stacking hull modules on the clipper is a good move and can give you enough safety margin for engagements. With military armour and a fully A loadout I had no worry starting a fight with a NPC Anaconda even when my shields were down, took a few % hull damage from those pesky multicannons but a quick kill and having the ability to run meant I had little fear. Players on the other hand seem to have either have no weapons at all or top top combat builds that I wouldn't like to come across.
I used to swap to SR after loosing shields in PVP, used to do a head on run at them and use flight assist off + no thrust to "float away". Recently my thrusters seem to die before I get the chance to hide though but thats probably because im in a trading Anaconda not a combat Python now..

You planning on RES combat, interdiction or Combat zone?

I really like the idea of this (the systems pips bit won me over) and will probably run some tests when I get the chance although my ship of choice will be the FDL, easy to make high alpha damage with kinetic weapons and low heat.
You can't really fight in silent running unless you use only projectile weapons since the heat build up means your either chain smoking heat sinks or taking heat damage.

When I get the cash I'll loadout an FDL with something like this: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60O,7RL7dg7dg7dg7dg01Q01Q0Wg0Wg0mI0mI,317_7_6Q6Q9Y6Q5A,0Nm9tQ15O12G10i
and run some tests. FYI that will be a minimum of two weeks since I have Masters exams and then have to explore powerplay :)

Edit: On the build I used frag cannons + the one heavy cannon since the frags should take shields out before cell banks can take effect with their high rate of fire and amazing closeup damage. All that remains is a well placed snipe shot from the C4 cannon to the opponents powerplant after that.

Last edited:
A stealth combat build on the Clipper is laughable. Stealth combat period is laughable.

Play to the clippers strengths. She has an overabundance of power from her reactor. Use it to feed a full array of shield boosters and shield cells.

A stealth combat build on the Clipper is laughable. Stealth combat period is laughable.

Play to the clippers strengths. She has an overabundance of power from her reactor. Use it to feed a full array of shield boosters and shield cells.

Why so? What makes SR laughable in combat?

Sure I could just go all out shields, the same as everyone else, sure its probably the strongest option, but on paper this also seems like a strong alternative build. Could still have 300Mj shield plus 750 armor and avoid sub-system targetting and locks by coming in and out of SR. Should be able to stay in SR for a reasonable period too, plus there is more power to weapons and engines in your PIPs.

Top Bottom