Steam Keys for Odyssey for Steam users who bought directly from the Frontier Store

Well that really sucks! What can we do that steam will downloading all the incoming updates in the future.....? I mean, i bought at frontier because i didn't wanted to get the risk that after a purchase on steam i would loose the ability to use ED without steam. Maybe that would not have been happend and i could have purchased at steam again....

But now its too late and i purchased at frontier store. But i want steam to know that i already own odyssey and it will download updates in the future .... a partner key would be the solution.

Linking both accounts (steam and frontier) would not do the same i guess?

I created a support ticket at frontier and told them i want steam to know i own odyssey, and what they can do about it. I will inform you when i got an answer.

Well that really sucks! What can we do that steam will downloading all the incoming updates in the future.....? I mean, i bought at frontier because i didn't wanted to get the risk that after a purchase on steam i would loose the ability to use ED without steam. Maybe that would not have been happend and i could have purchased at steam again....

But now its too late and i purchased at frontier store. But i want steam to know that i already own odyssey and it will download updates in the future .... a partner key would be the solution.

I created a support ticket at frontier and told them i want steam to know i own odyssey, and what they can do about it. I will inform you when i got an answer.
What the actual...

I bought it directly from the Frontier store to support the company, as I did with the base horizons game.
I play the game Via steam VR, bought Oculus Quest 2 recently.
I really need the update to work on my already connected steam account to be able to play in VR...
In the meantime, I cant even download from the Frontier store, every time I get an error screen.

Last edited:

Submited a ticket too, lets hope for the best ! :)

What the actual...

I bought it directly from the Frontier store to support the company, as I did with the base horizons game.
I play the game Via steam VR, bought Oculus Quest 2 recently.
I really need the update to work on my already connected steam account to be able to play in VR...
In the meantime, I cant even download from the Frontier store, every time I get an error screen.
Same issue here, same error screen. Also submitted a ticket to them. noticed steam doesn't think I own it either, and I tried using the activation code in the url from the error but on the frontier website and on steam it says the key is invalid. No idea.

Same issue here, same error screen. Also submitted a ticket to them. noticed steam doesn't think I own it either, and I tried using the activation code in the url from the error but on the frontier website and on steam it says the key is invalid. No idea.
it's not an activation key, it changes every time you click on the link.

Okay strange. So Odyssey starts with a disappointment right away.
After checking the support site i was seemingly able to update the game to odyssey, after unlinking and relinking the game with steam
and then hitting return as the mouse button was grayed out. It now "synchronizes" the game.

Well that would be a shame, I was also expecting to get keys to direclty install/update via steam (as it was possible for ED and Horizons).
I always start steam so games are being updated in the background, if it now only updates if I start the ED Launcher and hit update... so I would always need to wait a few hours before being able to play the game as I only play it every few weeks, that would be a total deal breaker.

Guess gonna go for support then too.

Here a part from the reply i got from the support:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Sorry for the delay in our response time! We are experiencing a large number of requests at the moment.
If you find that your 'Install' function is greyed out for you, we recommend going through our support article here:
https://customersupport.frontier.co...-is-greyed-out-in-the-launcher-what-can-I-do-
There is no way to get Steam to download updates for you if you have purchased through the Frontier store, updates will need to be done through the launcher. Once you have gotten past the install button being greyed out this shouldn't be an issue, however!
If you have purchased from the Frontier store there should be no issues accessing the game outside of Steam.
Let us know if you have any other queries!

Well, this sucks ..... :/ They didn't even answered to my inquiry for a steam partner key..... And they did not response to my question if i would still be able to play ED without steam, if i had bought odyssey via steam.

This support did not answer to my questions in any way, exepct telling me its not possible to do the updates with steam anymore :( what a shame!

Just launch the launcher directly, log back in (since you're not running from steam this time) and it should be ok. Works for me. But yeah, it's a tad annoying. Especially as Steam doesn't recognize that I actually have Odyssey, even though I do. Others have succeeded in synching ownership of things on Steam, so I can't see why they can't.

Well, i want to update the game. Have to use the ED Launcher for it, as Frontier don't want to give us steam partner keys (for what reason???). Well, now it dont work, like in another thread here is talked about. I click on "Upgrade", it says its preparing .... but nothing happens after it.

This is so ridiculous....... FRONTIER -> JUST GIVE US THE DAMN STEAM PARTNER KEYS !!!!! So we could get updates via steam, much better and faster than this sh*** ED Launcher .....Cannot update, so cannot play. Why Frontier, whyyyyy?!....... Is this so hard to just give steam partner keys for those who bought THIS TIME at Frontier Store to support you directly? -.-

So in case anyone wants to go my route, refund via support was no issue.
So I just bought it via steam now.

And how is your "setup" before you bought it at steam ? You also bought ED + Horizons at steam before 2019 (frontier game keys), and now you bought odyssey at steam. Did you have to link both accounts to make this work? And are you still able to just start the ED Launcher without steam?

And how is your "setup" before you bought it at steam ? You also bought ED + Horizons at steam before 2019 (frontier game keys), and now you bought odyssey at steam. Did you have to link both accounts to make this work? And are you still able to just start the ED Launcher without steam?
Ok so my quick update:

My "setup" was that I bought ED + Horizons via frontier store and used the steam keys to register my steam versions.
Now I refunded my odyssey purchase from frontier store and bought it via steam.
I have linked my steam and froniert accounts.

I did now install Odyssey DLC through steam and can launch it via steam.

When I now start the launcher directly (\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous), I have the option to "Install" Odyssey. After pressing "Installt" it at least did not download everything again. It was stuck a while and then after it "synching data" I was able to start it through the launcher while steam was off.

But to make sure I would advice to ask the support when you would go for the refund. Not that it is working because the removal of odyssey from my frontier account may not be fully updated or something like that.
Oh and I guess the preorder DLC stuff would be gone too probably. I haven't checked that, but I guess so.

Hey, thanks for the reply @TheCandyMan666 !

Meanwhile i've received a new reply to my official support ticket:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey CMDR,

Thanks for getting in touch in regards to this issue.

This is an issue with the Steam ED game launcher in which it is unable to detect the updates for Odyssey.
Which is ultimately down to the way Steam reads game / DLC entitlements as you've purchased Odyssey from the Frontier store and not directly from Steam.

Rest assured, our QA team is investigating this issue with utmost urgency and we are hopeful that a permanent solution will be available soon.

In the meantime, we can only recommend that you launch EDlaunch.exe from the Steam installation folder via: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous to install the updates using the standalone game launcher.

Alternatively, should you wish, we can refund you for the order XXXXXXXX to allow you to purchase the DLC directly via Steam.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Do let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will assist further.
Kind regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-> So, i'm curious what this means "our QA team is investigating (...) and we are hopeful that a permanent solution will be availavle soon"

Maybe this solution (whatever it might be) will help people like us, so steam could update odyssey too in the future. So, maybe i should wait and dont refund odyssey yet. Because again they didn't give me the answer what would happen if i would refund, and would buy odyssey at steam. Would it mean i would loose the ability to start the game without steam, or would it stay the same, and would only need to link my frontier and steam account?

So as i don't know for sure atm, i will wait what this "permanent solution" will be!

Top Bottom