Steam vs buying from FDev?

After my less than populated experience with the Small Worlds 3 expedition in the XBox universe, I've decided to pick up a gaming laptop to run with the cool kids in PC land for Distant Worlds 2. I do have two quick questions...

1. Is there a difference in buying the game through Steam vs. FDev? I don't know the first thing about PC gaming...haven't been on a PC game since Doom and Wolfenstein in the Pentium Days.

2. I often hear of the game going on sale....is that just a Steam thing? Or do they discount it on the FDev store, too?

Well, I bought it from Steam because I still don't want to use credit cards on the internet. It's better for FD if you buy it from their site, as Steam charges for the service (~30% IIRC). Otherwise, there's no difference IMHO.

On the sale thing: Steam discounts are mirrored on the FD site as well, at least during the last three years.

Recommendation: Buy the game directly from FD if you can.

O7,
[noob]

With Steam, you get automatic updates so the game is ready to play when you get home from work after an update. Not so with the FD launcher.

You can use a shortcut to the FD launcher within Steam so if there's a problem with Steam, you can still play ED.

I see Steam as a good tool and it doesn't cost anything to use.

FD has plenty of money. It's not our responsibility to watch their profits. Do what's best for you.

I bought direct from FD, got a sale with the Commander's Pack included as well.

I like having the launcher local on my PC, and don't want to use a third party launcher like Steam. I'm old fashioned, and like having the things I buy where I can see them ;)

Rep all around. Thanks, guys!

Historically, when and how great are the sales? Should I expect one before or on 8/28/18?

Rep all around. Thanks, guys!

Historically, when and how great are the sales? Should I expect one before or on 8/28/18?

Sales are very frequent this year, FD seems to be keen in keeping price for both ED and EDH low. Definitely expect one around Q3 release.

You can buy it from FD then redeem a Steam code from FD store and run it from Steam. Which is what I did since all of my games are on Steam anyway, and I never turn off my PC so all of my games are always updated on time (doesn't apply much to ED though...)

Both versions share same settings too.

Top Bottom