Stellar Lighting and Planetary Surface Lighting is still messed up.

The stellar lighting and planetary lighting was still not fixed in this update. Currently the star and/or atmosphere colors have no effect on the planet surface so you can have a blood red sky and a solid white ground. This looks weird, unnatural and is completely different than the images shown in the live stream just before Odyssey launch. Fixing this should be a priority.

This is what we were promised:
jrpy5kootqv61.jpg

This is what we got:

Screenshot (215).jpg

I'd bet money it's simply disabled due to EDO's poor performance. Seeing as current ED consoles certainly couldn't run EDO even without the improved lighting that FD showcased, I'd also bet that not only are they not going to enable such lighting, but they will simply never bring it up again and pretend it never happened. Unless EDO's performance changes radically, there's no way they are ever going to deliver what they were selling the pre-orders on.

The stellar lighting and planetary lighting was still not fixed in this update. Currently the star and/or atmosphere colors have no effect on the planet surface so you can have a blood red sky and a solid white ground. This looks weird, unnatural and is completely different than the images shown in the live stream just before Odyssey launch. Fixing this should be a priority.

This is what we were promised:
View attachment 263910

This is what we got:

View attachment 263909
You forgot to include the important bit:
Time to get those votes in if you’ve had any spare ones crop up after today’s Update 👍

IIRC, in a sticky FD called it a day on the lighting issues, as in it's fixed, and they're moving on.

Yeah, lighting is fixed (y)

1. Lighting and Illumination in Odyssey

Since Odyssey’s launch we’ve made a large number of updates to in-game lighting to bring the experience more in line with Commander expectations. These changes included relighting ship cockpits, improving all materials and overhauling star light and station exteriors, to call out just a few.

Following the major changes in Update 6 we’ve now, based on your feedback, made additional changes to areas such as Fleet Carriers and exterior station lighting which will be deployed in Update 7.

Whilst we recognise that some Commanders may continue to have feedback around how the game is lit we feel that for the purposes of aiding further development this issue tracker entry, whilst still holding a number of votes, is no longer providing us actionable feedback to improve the game, with recent contributions unrelated to the specifics of the original report.

We will therefore mark this issue as fixed following the update, freeing up those votes to contribute to other issues in issue tracker. Of course if you observe any specific instances of poor lighting, please open a new issue tracker entry giving specific feedback.

I'd bet money it's simply disabled due to EDO's poor performance. Seeing as current ED consoles certainly couldn't run EDO even without the improved lighting that FD showcased, I'd also bet that not only are they not going to enable such lighting, but they will simply never bring it up again and pretend it never happened. Unless EDO's performance changes radically, there's no way they are ever going to deliver what they were selling the pre-orders on.
Yes, I am sure they are planning to never bring it up again, which is why I am going to keep bringing it up. It’s immersion breaking. They could at least improve it somewhat.

“Of course if you observe any specific instances of poor lighting, please open a new issue tracker entry giving specific feedback.”

I do not see how Fdev can consider the lighting issue fixed.
I think the important part of Arthur’s post is this:

“…we feel that for the purposes of aiding further development this issue tracker entry…is no longer providing us actionable feedback to improve the game, with recent contributions unrelated to the specifics of the original report.

We will therefore mark this issue as fixed following the update, freeing up those votes to contribute to other issues in issue tracker. Of course if you observe any specific instances of poor lighting, please open a new issue tracker entry giving specific feedback.

That says to me that FDev don’t consider lighting completely fixed, just that this particular issue report isn’t useful anymore and more specific reports are required.

I don't think I can upvote, not owning Odyssey. But having the atmosphere colors tint the surface/objects is a fix that I feel is very important. Hopefully they can make it happen.

My guess is that the star coloration has weird knock-on effects to the way things look inside settlements and base interiors so they've turned it off (maybe temporarily). Just a guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom