Stop askin ship interiors!!!

Hmm, as much as we are making puns, this could lead some Dev to truly consider this.
This would imply anyone reading the forums, taking information from here, passing it on to game design, they approve it and get it implemented.
But we have the suggestions forum full of stuff that could or would benefit the game. How much of that has been implemented?

Oh I bet they are considering things like this.....

Need more space for Odyssey Tech/Chemical etc, 3000 Arx per additional 100 storage.

Hmm, as much as we are making puns, this could lead some Dev to truly consider this. Then again I am surprised its not in the Arx Store already, since storage is a joke for Odyssey materials.
Would they really do this considering the game is in serious trouble imo due to players fleeing and there finances taking a big dip....would they really do loot boxes for a game that won't be here in 12 months if it carries on like this

Hmm. Just reminds me how I just assumed the rendered crew and ship interiors was part of the game when I started.

it’s not so much that so many people want them added, it’s that they feel like they’re missing and we want it finished.

I'd rather have ship interiors than the garbage we have now.
Like, remove what we have now, add ship interiors instead. Just that. Let me walk around my ship and see all the systems interact with no gameplay and perhaps the same for stations.
Let me walk around the giant ring of houses with parks and such just watching the citizens do their every day life.
Similar to what Horizons was in 2.0. Barely any gameplay but hey we could drive around on planets, that wasn't so bad. But Odyssey neither did the foundation right and just copy and pasted the very same gameplay loops to the ground, nor did it a good job in providing stability in what it actually has to offer.

If FD isn't capable of meetign deadlines with the scope they aim for, hey that's fine as long as the existing content is polished.
So if they would have been focusing on ship interiors all the way and did nothing but adding the ability to walk around and have a seemless transition all polished that would have been a much better approach than meeting the financial year.

I'd rather have ship interiors than the garbage we have now.
Like, remove what we have now, add ship interiors instead. Just that. Let me walk around my ship and see all the systems interact with no gameplay and perhaps the same for stations.
Let me walk around the giant ring of houses with parks and such just watching the citizens do their every day life.
Similar to what Horizons was in 2.0. Barely any gameplay but hey we could drive around on planets, that wasn't so bad. But Odyssey neither did the foundation right and just copy and pasted the very same gameplay loops to the ground, nor did it a good job in providing stability in what it actually has to offer.
What makes you think you wouldn't find FDEV's take on ship interiors garbage? I'm pretty convinced whatever FDEV releases people are unsatisfied nevertheless.
What would make a glorified dollhouse with only button and switches as gameplay so much better than what Odyssey brings that the latter could be trashed?
Funny how "gimme just ship interiors" quickly ramp up with many more than that as you want stations and cities interiors too actually.

And I for one will always choose gameplay loops (as barebone as you wrongly see them) over fancy 3D assets. Those don't make a game. Maybe you should consider join the exodus to the BDSSE as it seems to perfectly fit what you want from a game. (no sarcasm intended)

Though for the record: I too would love ship interiors (would be happy with even just seat>turbolift>SRV bay drop instead of the placeholdery blue teleporter), but I consider additions brought by Odyssey as huge steps (!) towards the full ED experience I imagined (bugs and perf issues aside) that doesn't deserve deletion. There's a pool of nice systemic ideas FDEV MUST build upon

Last edited:
I'm going to replace take this to the extreams to prove how abusrd this is:

It look stupid.

Elite have much more importarnt thing to fix and add.
And if compare - interiors isn't even on second page of this list...
Few comparsions for example:
Landable general planets vs interiors
More plannets to land on vs ship-to-ship boarding, salvage, wreck exploration, repair works and "house customisation".

Volumetric clouds on atmo worlds vs interiors
Stuff to fly through vs vs ship-to-ship boarding, salvage, wreck exploration, repair works and "house customisation".

Rivers, lakes, oceans vs interiors
Stuff to stand next to vs ship-to-ship boarding, salvage, wreck exploration, repair works and "house customisation".

Full-sized woods and flore vs interiors
More stuff to look at vs ship-to-ship boarding, salvage, wreck exploration, repair works and "house customisation".

Full sized cities vs interiors
Different stations vs ship-to-ship boarding, salvage, wreck exploration, repair works and "house customisation".

Etc. etc. etc.
Do i need to continue?
No, I think we're all clear on just what is needed.

Sorry, haven’t read all 8 pages of this thread, so this might have popped up before, but this Reddit thread has NOT aged well. It’s so interesting to see how incredibly positive people were about Odyssey just 72 days ago.

…And anybody showing any negativity or even doubts that Braben would at some point deliver interiors were downvoted to oblivion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/my72uj Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/my72uj/fyi_this_is_what_david_braben_said_about_ship/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

What makes you think you wouldn't find FDEV's take on ship interiors garbage?
Nothing. I don't believe that FD can guarantee high quality (anymore). It might just be as borked as the current version od Odyssey and then should too be removed as the quality is so bad, doing nothing except breathing is more fun than dealing wit hthis many, exceedingly annoying errors.
However, just adding assets and a very thin coat of gameplay is very easy compared to a complex system of AI, missions, shooter and more.
The chances are higher that FD is capable of adding merely some assets and a proof of concept variant of what Odyssey tries to be rather than a full extension to the game (that just isn't ready for release yet).
Hence I believe the quality might be higher ... because there is just not too much to do wrong.

However, just adding assets and a very thin coat of gameplay is very easy compared to a complex system of AI, missions, shooter and more.
Totally agree with this.

Hence why (lack of time?) I don't get how they missed the opportunity to implement a simple placeholder-y thing with what's basically already here instead of the (yet even easier) blue teleport :
  • Walk inside the cockpit deck (what VR people can already do somehow)
  • Get to a turbolift
  • Teleport to SRV bay and drop us from here ( something like a mix of the SRV sequence and Frontline Solutions Dropship sequence)

But also hence why I'm OK with how FDEV proceeded with Odyssey: focus on complex parts first so then (hopefully) can expand upon after.

What I don't understand is why ship interiors have become such a big thing now.

Ship interiors were not announced as part of the base game. Frontier didn't deliver them. Almost no one complained.

Ship interiors were not announced as part of Horizons. Frontier didn't deliver them. Almost no one complained.

Ship interiors were not announced as part of Beyond. Frontier didn't deliver them. Almost no one complained.

Ship interiors were not announced as part of Odyssey. Frontier didn't deliver them. Seemingly every single player and their dog/cat/pet Thargoid are now complaining!

o_O
These details don't matter, it's the bone that has the most meat for the SC shills. Especially seeing that SC has interiors, all clicks into place doesn't it?

Except Frontier have said a number of times that money does dictate development. While I don't know the specifics, I am sure the reason we have Arx at all is something to do with Tencent buying 9% of Frontier.
And let's not forget Odyssey was released when it was released to have it be within the financial year end, regardless of whether it needed more development or not.

So yeah, I think Frontier do show that money dictates their development.
FDev is a for profit company, like all other for profit companies, money dictates where they invest. Which is why the 'don't play Elite till FDev see sense' tactic is loser for Elite fans, but a (seemingly) winner for SC supporters: "Don't play Elite" -> People stop playing Elite -> "See! no-one plays Elite, it's dead" -> "plz play SC, here's my code...."

A better tactic may be "I would pay $20 for a DLC that allowed me to have ship interiors / full VR / atmospheric worlds / base building / drink pouring bartenders (chose one as appropriate)" and go from there. Maybe if we put a monetary value on it we can better see the reality of how to steer Elite towards the 'game we know it can and should be'(tm).

To discover that Odyssey is essentially a compartmentalised side-game, rather than a step toward the more integrated experience that many of us had hope for, is disappointing. Ship interiors represent the kind of conceptual emphasis that I would want the game to be guided by, whereas an annexed FPS does not.

Edit: To be fair to FD there are probably all manner of technical challenges which may well be insurmountable. If that's the case, then Elite has just failed to live up to its promise and probably never will, plain and simple. In any case, I no longer have the patience to engage with the game and wait, now that VR has been sidetracked as well.
It's not really a technical challenge, moreso the fact that Odyssey is a separate expansion so therefore there is literally a dlc partition between Horizons & Odyssey. When Odyssey gets rolled into the base game, or Odyssey reaches a critical mass of players, maybe FDev will start to blur the lines. I can't imagine that offering on foot and ship missions together is an insurmountable technical challenge for a company that has a working Newtonian physics compliant scale model of the Milky Way (and possibly Andromeda) in its featureset. But hey, wdik.

Top Bottom