Strange Problem with Japanese Macaques

For some reason my Japanese Macaques die because they don't drink today, even though there are multiple Water Sources in the Enclosure. It only happens with them and I think this is the first Time this happens in this Zoo

Edit: and they also escape all the time, even though there is nothing shown on the Heatmap

Last edited:
It started with something around 30. Now there are only 15 left. The Enclosure is very big (8008m² and a little Lake with a Size of 105m²) (accessible Area: 7415,6m² +477,8m² Climbing Space) there are also multiple artificial Water Sources. I will try if it helps to transfer all of them to the Trade Center and back in the Enclosure

I’ve had a similar issue with my Japanese macaques having plenty of water sources available and not drinking until they are dehydrated. I don’t think it’s a bug, I just think that they aren’t programmed to take a drink until they are lower in hydration than they should be and are concerned with other things (eating, sleeping, playing). The only workaround I’ve found is keeping an eye on them when I get the “very thirsty” notification and move them to quarantine to fill up hydration if they don’t drink within a few minutes.

I think it is a Bug. It is very similar to a Bug I've had in my old Zoo where every Animal sometimes refused to drink, so I needed to send them to the Quarantine. It was so annoying

I figured out why they escape. It is because the Boxes are near the Fence and during the Play-Animation they clip trough the Wall. Also it seems like it helped to put them all in the Trade Center and back in the Enclosure

Edit: just saw a thirsty Baby-Macaque and it headed right towards the Water 😊

But for some reason it got dehydrated after drinking. But it is the only dehydrated Macaque since I placed them back in the Enclosure

Last edited:
I had a problem in my safari habitat, the animals were dying from hydration - right next to multiple water sources. It seemed that the issue was the size of the habitat. When I made it smaller it went back to normal

Mine are just always on the verge of starvation. I have five keepers assigned to just that one enclosure, and the monkeys still starve. (Yes, I have a large keeper hut nearby as well, as well as all the other important staff buildings.) The zoo keepers apparently think that just filling the enrichment items is food enough, so the monkeys run out of food in about five seconds.

Beautiful Planet Zoo people, PLEASE code the keepers so they fill up the food bowls/trays constantly, too, regardless of whether the enrichment items are full or not. (Just make the food go bad more slowly, please.)

Last edited:
Mine are just always on the verge of starvation. I have five keepers assigned to just that one enclosure, and the monkeys still starve. (Yes, I have a large keeper hut nearby as well, as well as all the other important staff buildings.) The zoo keepers apparently think that just filling the enrichment items is food enough, so the monkeys run out of food in about five seconds.

Beautiful Planet Zoo people, PLEASE code the keepers so they fill up the food bowls/trays constantly, too, regardless of whether the enrichment items are full or not. (Just make the food go bad more slowly, please.)

How many enrichement items do you have? Maybe you just need to add more of them? And the zookeepers do fill the food trays too if there are not enough enrichement items (and if you don't have food trays they just put it on the ground). But they DO have a problem keeping up if you have too many animals in a habitat (I usually start to get problems with hunger when the population goes above 30)

They've seemed to have enough. Often they starved while there was Food available and no other Macaque was currently eating it so it should've been fine. Also it happened until only 8 of them where alive and I think it would've happened until all of them are dead. I just stop keeping Japanese Macaques and hope it will get fixed soon. The Ring Tailed Lemurs and Lions work just fine even though both of these Animals are sometimes near 30 Individuals

If they starve when there is food in the habitat, then the problem seems to not be with the keepers but a bug with the animals

Top Bottom