subsurface mining seems a little excessive

I just pulled out my Python for some core mining, and was kinda startled to see that ive pulled EIGHTY FIVE tons of diamonds from a single motherload. Oo
Mostly from subsurface deposits, since the core itself only dropped a good dozen chunks.
Now, i do appreciate subsurface deposits being buffed, since the yields really sucked, but thats just beyond insanity...

This was in the triple hotspot?

I didn't have anywhere near as much luck in a single hotspot the other night. Found one subsurface deposit that gave me a only a few tons. :) I will try again at some point as I am wondering if I just had a particularly bad run (it sounds like it).

This was in the triple hotspot?

I didn't have anywhere near as much luck in a single hotspot the other night. Found one subsurface deposit that gave me a only a few tons. :) I will try again at some point as I am wondering if I just had a particularly bad run (it sounds like it).
Yeah that was in the tripple, just mined another one that yielded 72 tons. Thats more than a Krait could have carried, from just 2 rocks.
Those tripples are way insane while anything else hardly gets you anything. Less than ideal imho...
I mean, fo real FDev? C'mon guys, theres gotta be a way to make this a more linear increase in yields, as you go up in hotspot numbers.
/edit: I should add that those things had plenty of deposits, not just one or two. Which seems to be a pattern on motherloads.

Last edited:
Damn. I've been trying to avoid it, but I'm either going to have to check out this new triple hotspot, or try and find my own! :D

What does your outfit look like as far as hardpoints? Do you bring lasers as well as sub surface cannon? Im starting to get back into the game on a new account and really getting into laser mining but keep hearing about the amazing benefits of sub surface.

Also I assume the triple hot spot you speak of is in borann? if so I have no been able to find it yet. I have found alexandrite, LTD, low resource triple but thats it.

All the incomes are excesive , unless u like combat ; then ur screwed ;) (y) :)
Dude, it took me about 30 minutes to load up a Python. Thats like 600m/h.
Theres insane, and there bat poop loko.

What does your outfit look like as far as hardpoints? Do you bring lasers as well as sub surface cannon? Im starting to get back into the game on a new account and really getting into laser mining but keep hearing about the amazing benefits of sub surface.

Also I assume the triple hot spot you speak of is in borann? if so I have no been able to find it yet. I have found alexandrite, LTD, low resource triple but thats it.
I like bringing all the tools, you never know. Atm it looks like this; (And yes that was in "new Borann")
mining-Python

Last edited:
Subsurface was buffed across the board? I thought only Tritium was seeing these returns...

I've never even tried sub-surface because of how it used to be.

Subsurface was buffed across the board? I thought only Tritium was seeing these returns...

You would think they would have just buffed Tritium, but that would have required more effort... you know
IF "Tritium" THEN $buff ELSE $Standard :unsure:

I'm guessing they were supposed to apply this spike in SSD chunks to Tritium but the dev got confused and applied it to LTDs.

Edit: and now they are too busy racing to get some level of VR support into odessey to notive/fix it quickly.

Last edited:

As far as I know they can't increase yield for a specific mineral via a single specific method of mining, i.e they can increase tritium yield everywhere, and/or they can increase subsurface yields for everything, but they can't increase subsurface yields but only for tritium.

Tritium was intended to be mined primarily sub-surface, so they buffed subsurface, which has had the effect of buffing it for every other subsurface mineral too. It's probably offset to a point by the fact that they also buffed tritium yields to the point that it's swamping other mineable resources even in hotspots for those other resources. Being able to mine 85 tons of LTDs from one 'roid does seem excessive but I guess it depends on how often those rocks are found - if you're only going to find one an hour, it would be less of an issue.

Edit: and now they are too busy racing to get some level of VR support into odessey to notive/fix it quickly.

Haha yeah I'm sure that's what they're doing.

I put a number of sub-surface builds together in this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/subsurface-mining-builds.547730/
Do read more than the OP - there are some good points throughout that thread.

The triple hotspot in Borann is gone since the introduction of tritium with the Fleet Carrier patch. There is a newly discovered triple hotspot with an in-game name that is too long to remember. It is commonly referred to as ”New Borann” or ”Kirre’s Icebox” (the latter being preferred by people wanting to honor the discoverer Kirre).

I have a strong feeling this will get nerfed asap. The patch notes only refer to Tritium having an increase of yields from subsurface. It does not mention LTDs from my recollection of the final patch notes

I have a strong feeling this will get nerfed asap. The patch notes only refer to Tritium having an increase of yields from subsurface. It does not mention LTDs from my recollection of the final patch notes
The patch notes refer only to sub-surface mining, not to any particular mineral:
Sub-Surface Mining Deposits can now eject multiple resource chunks from one successful hit.

Top Bottom