Newcomer / Intro Subtleties

Ah, yeah. On a small space outposts they sometimes have this scrapyard thingy. It's not really a landing pad.

What an awesome shot, though!
And the filter you've put it through gives it sort of cell-shaded look. It looks like somethning from a sci-fi book cover. :)

I’ll have to keep an eye out for Steptoe & Son when flying around, 8 or 9 months in and I hadn’t realised they did this at outposts I’m obviously too busy boosting around trying to find the right pad:D

I’ll have to keep an eye out for Steptoe & Son when flying around, 8 or 9 months in and I hadn’t realised they did this at outposts I’m obviously too busy boosting around trying to find the right pad:D

Rep for Steptoe and Son. Can just imagine an ED equivalent of them in a beat up old T6. The dirty old man.

The sound of a pug, peacefully snoring in the background as you travel about the galaxy...

Oh wait, that's my actual dog. :p

When someone names their ship after someone elses pug which snores peacefully in the background as they travel around the galaxy! :D

SvmD44n.png

Yes to this, only I’ll add any shadows, in fact pretty much all lighting effects but I can sit and watch the shadows moving on virtually any surface and sit back and marvel. Just last night I found myself smiling at how the shadow of an orbital station moved across my Python’s instrument panel.

This game really does bring out the geek in me (it’s not far below the surface TBF.)

Chasing the SRV's own shadow when the "sun" is behind you ...

[video=youtube_share;yplNTrzmhPI]https://youtu.be/yplNTrzmhPI[/video]

The way bright sunlight can cause ice crystals on the SRV's windscreen to really glitter and sparkle.

tgqJm9G.png

How the parts (e.g. wheels) of an exploded SRV continue to be accurately physics modelled by the game for as long as you choose to follow them.

[video=youtube_share;7eXn0FtuH7g]https://youtu.be/7eXn0FtuH7g[/video]

Great thread as always, Tyres! :)

So much great stuff has been covered....I know it's an obvious choice but coming back to the exquisite sound design I just love the plunge-and-honk of the DSS. Great sound effect that fills my whole room, and everyone in the house is used to hearing it now for the past month LOL.

As Bob brought up already, I love the different engine sounds of the ships...specifically the ones he listed. The Asp X sounds amazing to me, love that sound. The FDL and Krait have some great sounds, as does the Viper.

So much great stuff has been covered....I know it's an obvious choice but coming back to the exquisite sound design I just love the plunge-and-honk of the DSS. Great sound effect that fills my whole room, and everyone in the house is used to hearing it now for the past month LOL.

Do you remember the Silt striders from Morrowind? That game also had great ambient sounds (and soundtrack of course). But the sound the Silt striders make, which echoed throughout the whole area when the "taxi stand" was around was especially dear to me.
I was playing the game nonstop for several months, when it came out, god knows how long ago and when I stopped, I remember my girfriend at that time admitting how much she actually misses hearing me play the game. Said the house feels empty without it. :)

Elite has similar properties

I never got into Morrowind, but I remember it had great sound.

When I got ED, though, I was pleasantly surprised at how great the sound really is at pretty much every turn. Just phenomenal and memorable. Outstanding attention to detail.

Another one to share... again, sound related.

The ghostly sounds when you land on an outpost type station. Sort of a lonely, deep space sound even though some are close to stars etc.

Someone once posted that his GF /SO thought that it sounded really spooky when he landed at one outpost - said she thought it sounded like it was haunted. :)

(Just as long as the devs don't start any zombie invasion nonsense. ;) )

Having recently bought a couple of Haulers, for the first time, I’m simply going to reiterate the huge difference in ships and ships sounds. The Hauler is pretty tiny considering I’ve come to it after having bought a T9, Cutter etc etc but I think I’ve fallen in love with its egalitarian, Everyman purposefulness, (for the Europeans among us) it’s the Galactic Fiat Panda.

An estate car (station wagon....are they still a thing, they sound so 70s’) squashed into something the size of a shoebox with the most basic, robust and plasticky interior, then add a sound that’s truly unique and frankly quite endearing. I keep buying ships to check out their interiors and listen to the sound they make, then try and find a use for them.

I know that’s all been said before, but go and check for yourself....it’s a Panda with thrusters. Brilliant.

... a little puff of smoke as you enter the hanger
... as you pan around your ship, little bits of nomenclature

One thing I feel is missing though (although I can understand a probable why; processing overheads) is the complete lack of other people in the station, like in the flight control (?) buildings near landing pads. Some little folks moving around inside would be a neat touch.

One thing I feel is missing though (although I can understand a probable why; processing overheads) is the complete lack of other people in the station, like in the flight control (?) buildings near landing pads. Some little folks moving around inside would be a neat touch.

Sshhh... Don't mention the "moving around" bit, you'll wake up the Space-Legs people ;)

Would be nice to see though. Someone giving you a friendly wave from the control tower as you power down, that sort of thing.

I'm fond of the diffraction patterns in the canopy that you get from station / outpost floodlights as well, a nice realistic touch!

It's probably already been mentioned, but I love the retro stepper motor hard-disc sound when the onboard systems 'do stuff'. A real nod to a past that started on floppy disc for this game.

Top Bottom