Ships Suggest a decent mining build

I recently built a Cutter for laser mining and it's quite fantastic in my opinion. I certainly don't make 200 million in 30 minutes, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Doing Platinum mining and only Plat, and the profits are pretty good.

No need for a "build" I guess as I don't know what ship you are using, but a few things that works best for me:

Having 3 active collector limpets per mining laser.
Engineered distro so you can deplete any rock with one pull of the trigger
ALWAYS have a shield, like I can't stress that enough.
When it comes to mining equipment, if it can be A-rated it MUST be A-rated.
Mining laser placement: always try and put them as close to the centerline of the ship as possible for maximum collector happiness.

Also in my opinion you want two fittings for mining. The mining fitting of course, then a full bore max-protect combat traveling build for SELLING your ore. Shield boosters, hull reinf's, AMFU's in case you fly into a sun and your cargo hatch takes damage - and of course those pesky pirates - all pose a risk to your profits. Believe me, loosing 400+ tons of ore to stupid mistake makes you sick to your stomach. Docking computer and supercruise assist modules, anything and everything you can think of to guarantee you get to the pad and sell that metal.

Have fun out there!

I recently built a Cutter for laser mining and it's quite fantastic in my opinion. I certainly don't make 200 million in 30 minutes, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Doing Platinum mining and only Plat, and the profits are pretty good.

No need for a "build" I guess as I don't know what ship you are using, but a few things that works best for me:

Having 3 active collector limpets per mining laser.
Engineered distro so you can deplete any rock with one pull of the trigger
ALWAYS have a shield, like I can't stress that enough.
When it comes to mining equipment, if it can be A-rated it MUST be A-rated.
Mining laser placement: always try and put them as close to the centerline of the ship as possible for maximum collector happiness.

Also in my opinion you want two fittings for mining. The mining fitting of course, then a full bore max-protect combat traveling build for SELLING your ore. Shield boosters, hull reinf's, AMFU's in case you fly into a sun and your cargo hatch takes damage - and of course those pesky pirates - all pose a risk to your profits. Believe me, loosing 400+ tons of ore to stupid mistake makes you sick to your stomach. Docking computer and supercruise assist modules, anything and everything you can think of to guarantee you get to the pad and sell that metal.

Have fun out there!

Some PD turrets on the underside to shoot the hatch breaker limpets can be useful

I recently built a Cutter for laser mining and it's quite fantastic in my opinion.
One of the reasons that I am slowly heading back to the bubble, I want to try out a Cutter for mining.

Mining builds can vary not only on personal preference but on what type of mining and where you are mining as well as other considerations.

I have got 2 T9's, 1 for just Icy "Ice Maiden" and the other for the other rings, these are configured for mainly laser mining, I also use a Krait MkII for Cores and a Python for Tritium SSD mining.

All of mine are carrier based and are only used out in the black, so I do not bother with weapons but all are fitted with good shields and boosters, bulkheads are also military grade heavy duty deep plated, enough to withstand any rock or NPC for long enough to get away. A rating the rest of the equipment is only common sense.

With my T9's I usually work 2 lasers and 11 limpets, and even then I spend a fair amount of time waiting for the limpets to catch up, but that is because working from a carrier I collect a lot of metals/minerals that "may" be less profitable but can still be very good earner's in the right places.

Obviously I just switch to a well armed freighter when selling the ore.

Have you also considered using a well armed freighter stored at a station near to where you are mining or even keeping additional weapons and armour at a nearby station and swapping them in before running around selling the ore.

Fly safe, o7

Type 9
3 mining lasers
like 10 collection limpets
512 cargo,
Shields so you can bounce on things
Scanner/prospector limpet
A subscription to hulu/netflix/D+/ your favorite youtube star
PIP addon to chrome for picture in picutre
a macro to keep your lasers firing the whole time with out needing to hold down a button.
FInd your rock, and blast away and watch TV.

Have you also considered using a well armed freighter stored at a station near to where you are mining or even keeping additional weapons and armour at a nearby station and swapping them in before running around selling the ore.

Fly safe, o7

Yeah that's what I'm doing now. Once I found my sweet sweet Platinum honey hole, I transferred over all the combat/armor/survivability modules to the station here and do a swap before I head out on the selling trip.

But I mean the Cutter is just...I can't think of a better ship to do this in. Even with a non-engineered shield generator a full two sizes smaller, I easily have well over 1k shields and high resists. I can mine and still kill any pirate who messes with me. Fought an Elite Anaconda to a draw this morning after he interdicted me, didn't kill him but was happy enough to force him to run and wake out so I could go about my business. He never scratched my hull.

And yeah I tried the Down to Earth Astronomy method where you perfectly calculate the spin of the asteroid and carefully maneuver your nose right on it's exactly axis but holy crap who has time for that lol. Just throw more limpets at the job in my opinion and get it done!

One of the reasons that I am slowly heading back to the bubble, I want to try out a Cutter for mining.

Cool be curious to hear your thoughts when you do.

Top Bottom