Discussion Suggestion: In-game cockpit display for 3:rd party tools

We all love our various tools and applications, however, there is one big disadvantage: You loose a lot of game immersion when you alt-tab out of the game to check your 3:rd party tool interface. Besides, alt-tab doesn't work at all in VR. So I have a suggestion: Give us a real in-game cockpit terminal!

The basic suggestion is very simple: Add an in-game HTML display that a 3:rd party tool can feed, tabbed to allow switching the display between the various tools you are currently running. Preferably the in-game display should be close to full-screen (like the station docked menus), it should work in VR and it should work while doing a high wake jump (important).

To allow input, the currently selected 3:rd party tool tab gets the keyboard focus as well as the "Interface mode" short cut mappings for menu navigation (like the chat window does).

Essentially, it is the same as alt-tabbing, it's just that you "alt-tab" in-game, stay in your cockpit, keep your 3D Elite Dangerous-world around you and don't disturb immersion. It shouldn't change the game balance in any way that alt-tabbing wouldn't do.

We all love our various tools and applications, however, there is one big disadvantage: You loose a lot of game immersion when you alt-tab out of the game to check your 3:rd party tool interface. Besides, alt-tab doesn't work at all in VR. So I have a suggestion: Give us a real in-game cockpit terminal!

The basic suggestion is very simple: Add an in-game HTML display that a 3:rd party tool can feed, tabbed to allow switching the display between the various tools you are currently running. Preferably the in-game display should be close to full-screen (like the station docked menus), it should work in VR and it should work while doing a high wake jump (important).

To allow input, the currently selected 3:rd party tool tab gets the keyboard focus as well as the "Interface mode" short cut mappings for menu navigation (like the chat window does).

Essentially, it is the same as alt-tabbing, it's just that you "alt-tab" in-game, stay in your cockpit, keep your 3D Elite Dangerous-world around you and don't disturb immersion. It shouldn't change the game balance in any way that alt-tabbing wouldn't do.

Maybe you missed this: Trade Computer Extension Mk.II

An overlay is nice, in particular when it is so well made, but it still isn't really a part of the game. I want it to be a screen in my cockpit; one that I can glance at when flying, and zoom in on when I want to focus on it, like the other screens. I want to feel that it is a part in my ship. Besides, it would make things easier for app developers, who just need to feed HTML into it, rather than all the work behind making an overlay. Also, VR requires full 3D objects, so overlays do not work at all.

Last edited:
An overlay is nice, in particular when it is so well made, but it still isn't really a part of the game. I want it to be a screen in my cockpit; one that I can glance at when flying, and zoom in on when I want to focus on it, like the other screens. I want to feel that it is a part in my ship. Besides, it would make things easier for app developers, who just need to feed HTML into it, rather than all the work behind making an overlay. Also, VR requires full 3D objects, so overlays do not work at all.

Back then we used to have unused terminal between our legs, wouldn't it be nice to be able to render some stuffs there [squeeeee] Too bad it's removed now
[video=youtube;JD1TC94AHco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1TC94AHco&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Top Bottom