[Suggestion] Large and Huge Gauss Cannons

Building off of the Salvation Modified Gauss Cannon,
Let the Large Gauss Cannon be the equivalent of a Small Gauss Cannon, but with a Burst Size of "3" and triple the ammunition.
Let the Huge Gauss Cannon be the equivalent of a Medium Gauss Cannon, but with a Burst Size of "3" and triple the ammunition.

The damage from 3 Small Gauss bursts and 3 Medium Gauss bursts closely extends the damage progression from Small Gauss to Medium Gauss: 40/70/120/210
The burst element mitigates the issue of being able to "one-shot" modules (and hearts), and in some ways duplicates the technique of staggering pairs of Gauss Cannons.
The distributor draw, damage per heat and damage per power statistics all remain identical with existing Gauss - so Damage related power creep is minimized. (e.g. a Huge Gauss Cannon would draw 7.2 Mw three times over the burst duration - roughly half an engineered 7A's capacity).

Heat (and probably distro) Constraints would prevent making active use of Large Gauss and Huge Gauss to effectively exceed the 4-AX weapon limit, so the principle benefits of introducing these canons would be to reduce issues with Convergences and to permit additional auxiliary weapons (e.g. more Flak Cannons, AX Turrets for Anti-Scout roles, Shards and PCs for depleting Thargoid hulls). A secondary benefit would be potential reduction in the amount of synthing that needed to be done.

VS. Human opponents, the Large and Huge Gauss cannons wouldn't impact the meta. They're closest comparison would be a fixed beam laser, so 41 DPS vs. 50ish DPS with a significantly higher Thermal Load.

I'd be down, but I do think the larger variants should be slightly less efficient. The difference could be made up if you use other weapons better suited for the alternative role. IE, use plasmas to exert the hearts.

It shouldn't be by a huge margin, but enough to discourage just using 1x huge and 3x large on an anaconda and wrecking everything.

But why not wreck everything?

Sounds awesome. Heat is a pretty hard limit, especially in ax, and ax immunity restricts the impact on humans. What could possibly go wrong? :)

TBF, even just allowing huge=double ammo of medium would get my vote :)

Top Bottom