Suggestion on Optimizing Travel Times Without Breaking Current "Game Rules"

Do I chose a mission that's 100,000 Ls away from the primary, or stick to <1,000 LS missions? It's my choice, and adding micro-jumps makes that choice pretty much meaningless.
And what difference does it make now?
It's the same mission, same activity, same everything. Except for the <1000ls, you can start it within a minute, where as with the 100,000 LS you are forced to wait for 10-15 mins before you get to do anything.
You don't get a choice for the waiting in the latter. Nor will the latter be any different in terms of mission design, layout or rewards.
So really, I'm curious: How is the choice meaningful? Other than footing a 10-15 mins idling in SC.

And what difference does it make now?
It's the same mission, same activity, same everything. Except for the <1000ls, you can start it within a minute, where as with the 100,000 LS you are forced to wait for 10-15 mins before you get to do anything.
You don't get a choice for the waiting in the latter. Nor will the latter be any different in terms of mission design, layout or rewards.
So really, I'm curious: How is the choice meaningful? Other than footing a 10-15 mins idling in SC.
Payouts, BGS INF and REP, sight seeing, all of these spring to mind.

The idea that most appeals to me is gravitational slingshots. I love the idea of zooming out a little ways then back in and slingshotting around the main star, coming back out again with twice as much speed, maybe doing that a couple times, until my speed is as high as I want it to be.

Make black holes be the ultimate slingshotter, to give them an actual used in the game.

That way, you somewhat solve this problem, add entertaining gameplay to the mix, while still keeping a wide diversity of system types.

Make black holes be the ultimate slingshotter, to give them an actual used in the game.
Slingshot #1 Galnet: the federation has fallen and small pockets of resistance in the empire have managed to hold out

Slingshot #2 Galnet: reports have shown a slight increase in thargoid activity but we're sure it's nothing to worry about

Slingshot #3 Galnet: all hope is lost. The bubble is fallen. The last remnants of political leadership is dead and all transmissions from colonia have ceased. This will be the last Galnet transmission we will be able to send. If even a single CMDR had the power to alter the course of history they should have taken it. Good luck everyone o7

Slingshot #4 Galnet: apparently the slight increase of thargoids isn't as small as first believed and more assistance is needed.

Let us hire shuttle pilots as ship crew. Then players can go grab dinner or relax to a movie while the crew pilot takes me from A to B . its 3307 this should be an option. part of why this game gets old is we have to do just about every tedious task. come on we know space is big but this is a game!

The idea that most appeals to me is gravitational slingshots. I love the idea of zooming out a little ways then back in and slingshotting around the main star, coming back out again with twice as much speed, maybe doing that a couple times, until my speed is as high as I want it to be.

That way, you somewhat solve this problem, add entertaining gameplay to the mix, while still keeping a wide diversity of system types.

Except that is the absolute opposite of how the drives operate - you just need to totally re-write the game. :rolleyes:

The suggestion is quite simple and seems to be easy to implement

Allow in-system "hyper-space" jumps to the 2nd/3rd or any star whenever you are already inside the star system

Reasons and background lore explanation for such without breaking existing game "rules":
1. You can't hyper-jump to a secondary or tertiary star in a system because your FSD is unable to lock on a star which is not the "main" one (this is fine!);
2. But once you are already inside the system you should be able to manually target any star from your left-side (navigation) panel and hyper-jump there;
3. Because it is an existing mechanics, this might be quite easy to adopt and shall be benneficial to both Horizons and Odyssey.

Cheers!

If there is a chance to damage your fsd / damage it a bit it would be acceptable for me.

The current concept for the FSD to hyper jump is to lock on a star and the main system star is chosen due the fact the FSD does not have resolution enough to distinguish and lock on a smaller star inside a system.

But once you are already inside the system these secondary stars are spread enough and close enough so your ship's FSD is able to lock on them to hyper jump. There's no harm to the magical physics of hyper jump concept currently implemented.

Last edited:
A possible middle of the road idea? A mat based synthesis that boosts accel/decel in SC or reduced gravity drag maybe (resulting in quicker accel or interference once on course).

It wouldn't remove the risk of interdiction completely although you might accel out of range more easily, it would still allow PVP piracy for those that like playing that way in open (they can do it too, might even make it easier to catch a ship that has a decent head start?)

Doesn't break the existing mission reward structures.

Doesn't make it free, although the mat cost should be on par with existing boosts.

But does allow those who want to reduce their travel times a way to do it.

Payouts, BGS INF and REP, sight seeing, all of these spring to mind.
Funny... sight seeing... There is nothing to see in space, except a lot of dark void, at least not while doing missions in the bubble. And you see a lot of dark void.
While payout might be affected, I doubt the other 2 are.
And tbh, the cr reward difference isn't significant enough (for me at least) to justify a 10-15 SC time.

Funny... sight seeing... There is nothing to see in space, except a lot of dark void, at least not while doing missions in the bubble. And you see a lot of dark void.
While payout might be affected, I doubt the other 2 are.
And tbh, the cr reward difference isn't significant enough (for me at least) to justify a 10-15 SC time.
All I can say is, I've chosen some long distance missions (>5,000LS) for the INF and REP bonus for my BGS faction shrugs

As for the sight seeing, I played with the free camera and took a few screenshots on the way, and I enjoyed the sights of seeing the distant pin points of light growing into a system orbiting a sun as I approached.

As always, YMMV

The point is that jumping to the secondary star would be still optional... if someone enjoy the SC time for taking pictures or even get up from the seat and go "feed the fish" it would still be possible.

Regarding BGS, there would be still SC time from the sexondary star to your final destination... and Frontier could tone-down a bit the pay-out for the missions that would no longer be "that far off" but still we do have planets/POIs/stations/settlements really far deep in-system and still belonging to the primary star.

The point is that jumping to the secondary star would be still optional... if someone enjoy the SC time for taking pictures or even get up from the seat and go "feed the fish" it would still be possible.

Regarding BGS, there would be still SC time from the sexondary star to your final destination... and Frontier could tone-down a bit the pay-out for the missions that would no longer be "that far off" but still we do have planets/POIs/stations/settlements really far deep in-system and still belonging to the primary star.
Many posts have already explained why "just make it optional, you can still fly slow if you want" doesn't work, and still changes the fundamental balance and feel of the game.

If FD were to do this, then they would have to ensure they adjust the algorithm for mission payouts based on travel distance to stars.

Gone would be my lovely long distance haul missions that pay millions instead of hundreds of thousands. :(

FD nerf things again! But this time at player request!

If FD were to do this, then they would have to ensure they adjust the algorithm for mission payouts based on travel distance to stars.

Gone would be my lovely long distance haul missions that pay millions instead of hundreds of thousands. :(

FD nerf things again! But this time at player request!
See, player choice enabled by the existing SuperCruise mechanics.

and Frontier could tone-down a bit the pay-out for the missions that would no longer be "that far off" but still we do have planets/POIs/stations/settlements really far deep in-system and still belonging to the primary star.
Except that now you're reducing the selection of missions with high payouts for those of us that make our credits that way.

I wouldn't mind if Frontier kept the same payouts.... it would be 1 jump further anyways instead of pointless SC time...
But some people just can't accept things getting a little softer/easier/efficient.

I wouldn't mind if Frontier kept the same payouts.... it would be 1 jump further anyways instead of pointless SC time...
But some people just can't accept things getting a little softer/easier/efficient.
Which makes multiple star star-systems pointless then IMHO.

If it's just "1 jump further anyways", then may as well ditch all the binary, trinary etc. systems, and just have everything as single stars.

Rather than take something away from those of us that appreciate the way the game works, tr playing within the game - if you don't like the long journey times for certain missions, don't take them. As you say, other than the distance/time involved, a courier mission is a courier mission, so it's not like you're missing out on anything by not doing the 100,000LS journey, but you would be taking them away from us.

Top Bottom