Suggestions for improving the roleplaying forums

Is calling out bounties on other CMDRs not seen as roleplaying or deemed bad?

I'm asking as I did exactly that, calling out another CMDR on the weekend but I think my post got removed. Honestly I would like to know why... The CMDR did have quite a bounty as they had been simply murdering people. I've got nothing against that - but I also think its fair to then call out CMDR name and last known system. We even used to get that info in game, so its community service!

I'm going to nail the first chance I get - I just thought someone else might like the credits, and I did it in my in game persona - but if I did something wrong I'd appreciate knowing what it was.

Is calling out bounties on other CMDRs not seen as roleplaying or deemed bad?

I'm asking as I did exactly that, calling out another CMDR on the weekend but I think my post got removed. Honestly I would like to know why...

"Naming and shaming" is against the forum rules. That's probably why your post got removed.

Saying that, it does kind of limit the roleplaying opportunities in here if you can't mention CMDRs by name.

What is role play if we can't say "I saw cmdr X in system Y with a 600,000cr bounty on his head. He shot me twice, so I wouldn't mind seeing someone collect it"

I'm an honest trader (mostly, when people are looking....) and I got shot. I wasn't 'shaming', calling them a cheat or a greifer or anything like that...

Sorry, is there something I am missing about MMOs? Do we all have to be 'nice'? Admittedly this is the first MMO I've played...

I thought the point was that we could get all vigilante on pirates. I've had plenty of chat with other traders in the system in question, and the cmdr is a well-known menace. The in-game comm system is somewhat lacking compared to the boards, so how else are we meant to organise a posse and go spill their pint?

OK, so I might have used some fruity language, but look at my avatar - it's Colonel Henry Passionfruit for heaven's sake. We're going to dance through the minefield, cobbers! I say, what lovely shiny grenades you have!

Last edited:
i dont know if someone has said this or not, but literally making a section strictly for role-playing, And section only for character Logs/Journals, And maybe a section for RP players to find Other RP players to play with More easily.

Just wanted to say that I found it a bit hard to find the roleplaying forums as a new Elite player. I had to google it rather than navigate from Forum front page...

Here's my suggestion for improving the roleplaying forums - actually pull roleplaying content from other areas of the forums, consistently, and move it here where it belongs. I've seen several threads that were extremely IC threads (For example, Federation Navy HQ's Declaration of War against the Empire, the entire post and most of the content from users was RP or close enough). So many people don't post stuff on here and opt for Discussion instead because they are trying to reach more people, some have even referred to this as where threads go to die. RP not being popular in E:D is a myth, there's plenty of RP, but it's scattered. We should stop letting RP discussions sit in Discussion and continually pull them to Lore and Roleplay, whether the author likes it or not. All RP content should be on here, anything IC should be in here. Anything that stupidly mixes IC and OOC should be confined to the depths of hell where it belongs, because bad RP is cancer. There is plenty of RP content but it's being posted elsewhere, the most popular stuff being Galnet-covered player content like wars (Volungu, for example) that are written as if in character. That stuff should all be getting pulled here, because it's where it belongs, it'll help centralize the RP community here, and it'll kill the myth that RP forums are dead because RP is dead, because it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

i dont know if someone has said this or not, but literally making a section strictly for role-playing, And section only for character Logs/Journals, And maybe a section for RP players to find Other RP players to play with More easily.

The moderator of the Lore and Roleplay section has said that this cannot be done, with him only being a moderator. With this in mind, there is a roleplayer's community hub which you can find here that has these subsections.

Last edited:
A little idea I had.

In real life (I know this isn't) you can modify almost anything these days to get the very best from what ever you modify from Cars to computers make them run faster and handle better.

In ED we can purchase any mod for our ship slots even nice skins from the ED store to enhance the look, why not do the same for ship internal slots you could sell 3 stage tune up kits. From a Basic up to an Extreme kit's

So an Exploration Kit
Basic Kit - bigger power mod, bigger Jump range, bigger fuel tank and a nice skin
Medium Kit - as above + better thrust, increase power distribution, increase handling, faster scan time.
Max Kit - as above + change small hard points to medium hard points, bigger fuel scoop.

Basically a one jump up in Class Rating from what is already max fittings, like my ASP with an A5 max Power Generator upping it to a A6.

A similar upgrade kit could be done for Traders and for Bounty hunters each stage of kit purchased through the ED shop. Once fitted it can't be changed through the in game Outfitters unless the kit is removed and stored and normal in game mods are restored.

I'm new to these forums, and to the RP aspect of E:D but not to RP itself so I have some ideas.

There's another RP forum I'm on that's set up similarly to this - on the company's official forums. It's been established for a long time now, and has several threads that help keep it pretty organized, that are stickied to the top so people can get involved easier.

First and foremost - I've only found threads that are stories, or logs. I've yet to find any actual active roleplay/IC interactions that I can join. Also I noticed a complete lack of labels (IC, OOC, Private, Open, etc.) as mentioned in the rules which also makes things very hard since I have to look at each thread to see what it is, and what it's about, and if it IS roleplay (which I've yet to find), is it open, private, semi-closed, etc.

So having labels behind each title (Story, Commander Log, IC, OOC, so on and so forth) would significantly improve being able to navigate this area of the forums.

Onto stuff I've seen work in RP communities -

Skype chat, or discord chat would be fantastic if you don't already have an 'official' one set up. I don't think discord costs anything so someone could easily set that up and make a post with information on it, how to sign up, rules for the chat, etc.

Next - A basic character creation guideline. Now I get Elite Dangerous doesn't have any epic, uber crazy powers, but having a basic guideline on some stuff could help people get involved easier. It's not meant to enforce ideas or limitations, but more of a guide to help new players settle in.

I saw the 'Forum Rules' thread and I think it'd be worth expanding on. We have a 'Community Guidelines, Culture and Etiquette' thread that outlines the rules, what we expect from those who visit, how to get involved in threads, definitions of things like IC, OOC, and other terms that may be used in roleplay, etc. etc. It covers everything you'd need to know, in one spot, to help new players. It surely saves people from digging. And would make things far less confusing.

There's a thread set up so people can post their characters for review, get feedback, ideas, etc. I can see that working really well here given how mellow and nice everyone seems so far in the E:D community.

Does anyone portray the Powers? It might be cool to have a thing set up that takes canon characters from the game, and opens up the potential for players to adopt the role on these forums. They could make an account for that character specifically (so as to not be confusing), and set up an IC OPEN thread for people to interact with them, or those that work for them depending on your reason for dealing with them. It should be limited to one player per role so to keep a specific lore jiving with them and not confuse people if there's more than one (with two probably different interactions and outcomes). Also given the limitation of leaders available, limiting it to 1 per RPer would probably be ideal, too.

Of course the drawback is if you end up dropping the role, it resets the interactions with the players so it's a clean slate for whoever picks it up again -- unless the new person agrees to take on the headcanon and interactions from the previous RPer. But it'd surely expand on interaction, and potential story.

Guidelines for this would be fairly straight forward I think. Check if the role is available, make an account, write up a thread for the character then post in the thread with the list, that you're taking up the role along with a link to the character's thread so people can find it easier.

Phew that was a lot. Okay I'll leave you to it :3

I was going to suggest that lore discussions be moved to official fiction, but I see this was already discussed and in fact the opposite was decided! My reason is because to me the game lore is official fiction, just published in a different way. Official fiction is also canonical source of game lore. Role-play uses the lore, but isn't a source of it.

If my reasoning or understanding of lore and official fiction is wrong please correct me.

Cheers :)

Ooh, now I'm curious! ;) maybe we both misunderstood.

Oh, I had misinterpreted your post to mean that all fanfic should be included as official fiction. In my defense, I hadn't had much coffee, was headachey, and sped-read your post!

I then went on to describe my experiences in Inara, where a vast amount of player-written Elite fic is written. Some of it is damn brilliant, the vast majority is passable or at least does no harm, and a tiny smidgen is terrible. For example, we've had a mutant man-penguin with superhuman abilities, a Khajit from the Elder Scrolls, and even a sentient dolphin swimming around in its water-filled tank!

Then of course I re-read your post and realized that you were suggesting nothing of the sort!

Oh, I had misinterpreted your post to mean that all fanfic should be included as official fiction. In my defense, I hadn't had much coffee, was headachey, and sped-read your post!

I then went on to describe my experiences in Inara, where a vast amount of player-written Elite fic is written. Some of it is damn brilliant, the vast majority is passable or at least does no harm, and a tiny smidgen is terrible. For example, we've had a mutant man-penguin with superhuman abilities, a Khajit from the Elder Scrolls, and even a sentient dolphin swimming around in its water-filled tank!

Then of course I re-read your post and realized that you were suggesting nothing of the sort!

Don't forget the eagle that could fit two master bedrooms, a piano room, a library and a study.

Would a diary be accepted as "Roleplay"?

I've a lot to say about the ED universe and reality, and surely the trips between the systems would lead to...introspection? I'd like to try and highlight the parallels between what Mr Braben has built and reality, but try and put it as a 3303 view...just to show how little we (may) have move on from 2016.

If the mods/public feel this would be a waste of keystrokes, please say so. I will not be offended by any negatives.
:)

Would a diary be accepted as "Roleplay"?

I've a lot to say about the ED universe and reality, and surely the trips between the systems would lead to...introspection? I'd like to try and highlight the parallels between what Mr Braben has built and reality, but try and put it as a 3303 view...just to show how little we (may) have move on from 2016.

If the mods/public feel this would be a waste of keystrokes, please say so. I will not be offended by any negatives.
:)

I would think that a diary written in-character would be perfectly acceptable.

Hello! I have a passion for writing and I've been putting together a series of short stories in Scrivener for this forum, but I cannot post anything because I am prompted to select a prefix that is not there.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Hello! I have a passion for writing and I've been putting together a series of short stories in Scrivener for this forum, but I cannot post anything because I am prompted to select a prefix that is not there.

Hello Commander. You'd be better off posting a thread about your problem here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/6-Forum-Support-amp-Feedback - you should get an answer from the Community Manager that looks after the forum maintenance.

Top Bottom