Horizons Suns are HOT!

Got too close to a white dwarf and toasted my Asp!
I tried to jump, but the next destination was obscured by the sun, ouch! By the time I managed to engage FSD, most of my systems were fried and I had lost 20% hull.
I had one clip of ammo for my AFM unit and used that up repairing the most critical systems (FSD, PP, Power Distributor, shields).
I'm about 3Kylies on my way out to Jacques and I didn't want to turn around, so I started setting down on likely planets looking for the components to reload the AFM. Vanadium is the hardest component to find. I've landed and roved over thousands of kilometers on rocky and high metallic worlds and only found a couple of units.
That was enough to repair my thrusters, fuel scoop, canopy and a few other less critical systems. Guns, mine launchers and point defenses are all still nerfed to useless, but I haven't seen another ship since I left the bubble, so I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Now,if I can only keep a safe distance from those glowing balls!
I'm coming, Jacques!

Last edited:
If that thing happens, it's better to jump straight back to the SC, because the SC charges up faster. :)
Also, if you have Horizons (and SRV), you can collect some mats on a surface and synthesize ammo for AFMU.

Otherwise - ouch! Be careful out there, mate! o7

What? Suns are hot?! Do they work as they're intended?
Hey FD, nerfing suns at once!

Anyway wolferr, next time you got to jump to SC near the sun, use heat sink right before your systems reach 100%.
Key binding needed though.

Last edited:
As the old saying goes "fly to close to the sun and you'll ... crash drop out of SC, disable nonessentials, deploy heatsink and escape vector." I may have misquoted.

What? Suns are hot?! Do they work as they're intended?
Hey FD, nerfing suns at once!

[sour] Here we go again... Next thing you know the PVP crowd will take one side and PVE bunch other. This thread will turn into the "NERF THE SUN THREAD, HOTEL CALI STYLE!" with +200 pages of demands for git gud and video proof of the suns hotness followed by threats to quit if FDEV doesn't FIX IT will be flying any minute now!

[big grin]

[sour] Here we go again... Next thing you know the PVP crowd will take one side and PVE bunch other. This thread will turn into the "NERF THE SUN THREAD, HOTEL CALI STYLE!" with +200 pages of demands for git gud and video proof of the suns hotness followed by threats to quit if FDEV doesn't FIX IT will be flying any minute now!

[big grin]

Hahaha, yeah! Tons of brand new "open letters" to devs about nerfing suns.
Dawn of a new flame war on this forum.
And this gonna happen because of my previous post. Wow, don't know whether I can be proud of me or not[big grin]

"Why can't I sit in the corona and scoop in peace?!!!!! Why Frontier has to artificially nerf my fun by this unnecessary mechanic!? I can't blaze my own trail if they put hot suns in my way!!!!"

Try bounty hunting in at a nav beacon that is too close to the sun. I had an instance where my ambient ship temps were 19 higher than normal, it was impossible to fight for too long as my weapons were frying my modules to death.

Try bounty hunting in at a nav beacon that is too close to the sun. I had an instance where my ambient ship temps were 19 higher than normal, it was impossible to fight for too long as my weapons were frying my modules to death.

Yep, that's one of the problems of beam lasers. They suck at Nav beacons. The proximity of the sun can cut the time they can fire by half.

Top Bottom