Newcomer / Intro Super Cruise Assist - Never knew it did this!

So i've been playing Elite for nearly 2 months now and steam says 300 hours play time.
I've always flown with that supercruise assist module and I always thought it made the distance bars appear on the left when flying to a station and thought it auto dropped you out of supercruise if you got too near a planet or ring. I decided to take it off one of my ships and found out everything was the same. I've just now looked at the april update information which says the below.
I've always wished I had an extra module slot on some of my ships but thought supercruise was an essential module so left it on everything and now realize i've never even used it lol.

Will give it a whirl if I can find the right xbox controller key combination but will be taking it off most of my ships (will leave it on my explorer ship I think).
Wonder what I'll discover after another 300 hours lol.
Planetary approach suite is an essential module isn't it? or can that be dumped?

"Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you're now able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship automatically maintains the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and breaks out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!

With the the Supercruise Assist, you'rel also able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground
."

So i've been playing Elite for nearly 2 months now and steam says 300 hours play time.
I've always flown with that supercruise assist module and I always thought it made the distance bars appear on the left when flying to a station and thought it auto dropped you out of supercruise if you got too near a planet or ring. I decided to take it off one of my ships and found out everything was the same. I've just now looked at the april update information which says the below.
I've always wished I had an extra module slot on some of my ships but thought supercruise was an essential module so left it on everything and now realize i've never even used it lol.

Will give it a whirl if I can find the right xbox controller key combination but will be taking it off most of my ships (will leave it on my explorer ship I think).
Wonder what I'll discover after another 300 hours lol.
Planetary approach suite is an essential module isn't it? or can that be dumped?

"Available at your nearest starship department store (i.e. Outfitting) comes the new Supercruise Assist module. While in Supercruise, you're now able to target a destination and activate Supercruise Assist, putting your safety in the reassuring hands of a machine. In this mode, your ship automatically maintains the correct speed and approach to your target destination, and breaks out of Supercruise at the optimum time. You'll still have to align with the correct location, but you will no longer have to worry about doing a loop of shame!

With the the Supercruise Assist, you'rel also able to enter into orbit around a body - allowing you to launch discovery probes and take screenshots without the fear of face-planting the dusty, rocky ground
."
Yes Supercruise assist is a convenience tool and wholly optional. Planetary Approach Suite is necessary for planetary landings, but yeah you could remove it from the ship if you wanted to. However those slots are locked so there's nothing else you can put in them.

As far as I know the only way of operating Supercrauise Assist is through the Navigation Tab in the left hand display there are no bindings for it.

I toyed with it a few times when it was released, I don't come to a near stop after jumping so that function was no use to me, it takes longer to cruise to places using it which is disappointing and the bring you into orbit feature while nice crashed me into the planet half the time probably due to operator error but still. The best thing about it was the extra slot it added to all ships.

PAS goes in its own dedicated slot, and is necessary to land on planets. I believe it's only there as a "fudge" mechanic from when Horizons was introduced and they needed a way to separate Horizons and Non-Horizons players when it came to planetary landings. The slot has no use for anything else. If you have Horizons it is effectively no different to your FSS, it's an integral part of your ship that cannot be replaced with anything different, so while you could remove it, that's only really useful if for example, you want to "prove" you made a certain journey with no planetary landings, or somesuch.

As noted above, the Supercruise Assist module is also what you can program to stop you from faceplanting into a star. If you've got that set up on all your ships, taking off the Supercruise Assist module will almost certainly result in you faceplanting into several stars while you get used to "doing things the old-fashioned way". I keep it on all of my ships, for that reason. I've gotten used to the auto-stop-on-Arrival feature and I'm addicted to it now. It's also handy on deep-space expxloration ships, for going briefly AFK / Alt-Tabbing while travelling to a remote destination, to make sure you don't overshoot the target.

It's also handy on deep-space expxloration ships, for going briefly AFK / Alt-Tabbing while travelling to a remote destination, to make sure you don't overshoot the target.
When the doorbell rings shortly before you arrive at Hutton, and you come back 5 minutes later having signed for the parcel and unpacked it, and you see how far you overshot it by....

I noticed the suicidal faceplanting feature after taking it off. I was used to lining up a jump then nipping away to do something and have almost faceplanted a few times now forgetting it accelerates towards a star after a jump and have to run back to the computer. Shame the only way to stop that is leaving the module on :(

you can set hyperspace dethrottle in the right hand panel - automatically reduces ship speed to zero (well 30kms as you exit hyperspace into super cruise) you will still plant into the star if you do not do anything but you get a lot more time

PAS goes in its own dedicated slot, and is necessary to land on planets. I believe it's only there as a "fudge" mechanic from when Horizons was introduced and they needed a way to separate Horizons and Non-Horizons players when it came to planetary landings. The slot has no use for anything else. If you have Horizons it is effectively no different to your FSS, it's an integral part of your ship that cannot be replaced with anything different, so while you could remove it, that's only really useful if for example, you want to "prove" you made a certain journey with no planetary landings, or somesuch.

There is one other practical, but extremely niche use for removing the planetary approach suite: Last I checked, it also removed the whole orbital cruise zone allowing more aggressive gravity breaking in SC and alowing for the possibility for being interdicted closer to a planet's surface.

It can drop you out of supercruise at much higher approach speeds than manual, so it has its uses for racers

Yes, this.

When approaching a station (not a planet), if there's nothing in the way, you can drop from 100% to 75% throttle at 4 seconds. This re-engages SC Assist (which disengages at full throttle), which drops you at the station. It seems to be very difficult for NPC's to interdict on approach at this speed, and big gravity wells have little effect.

I think I will need to try some of these things tonight or next time I get time to play. Have been flying with both but to my knowledge never used the supercruise assist. Note that I was also wondering why I was automatically docking... Found out that module yesterday!

I found out about the auto dropout at full throttle the other day by accident (only just seen your replies)
Scared me to death though when I tried the trick on station that was behind a planet lol

Top Bottom