General / Off-Topic Supposedly bad Sci Fi films..

Heres an off topic thread, I finally got around to watching "Jon Carter" tonight, OMG, all the negativity I saw back when it came out, I left it well alone. And it absolutely rocks. (yes a BIT cheesy, but what an idea of a story)

Am I also wrong in thinking these are also OMG awesome films, they have had such bad rep I just didnt bother until recently either.

Prometheus - Absolutely amazing film, and theres another one coming. Why so much hate from the general populus?

Guardians of the Galaxy - a lot of moaners, erm, moaned about it, but thats prolly my 3rd best film ever after the original Star Wars trilogy and Aliens trilogy, IF I called myself Star Lord and Lord'ed it up with gizmos and a cool ship, thats what I'd be. But I'd put that Mix tape volume I on a CD cause we all know you play a tape too many times, it dies a death.

So list your all time favourites that are supposedly "a bit poop", but in fact, they are not at all. And I'll watch them all!

I had to slap myself and ask why on earth I'd listen to other peoples comments on IMDb.

I love Guardians of the Galaxy!
Currently my 2nd favourite marvel movie, after avengers 1.

Hated avengers 2.
Prometheus was 'meh'...
Still not seen Jon Carter... Lol

Why Vin Diesel did the voice for Groot and that's it after all those epic Riddick films I don't get, should of made him the Star Lord, he would of added a bit of decent grit to it.

My main beef with Prometheus was that the crew were a bunch of unprofessional, argumentative hardcases who shouldn't have even passed screening to be allowed together on a spacecraft, never mind investigate the origins of mankind. Contrast their growling aggression and horrible professional decisions with the team attitude fostered by Dallas in the original Alien film (an absolute neccessity for any crew forced to live together for months on end in a deadly environment) and it becomes even more unwatchable. Also the horrible mish-mash of modern and 70's sci-fi aesthetics. I could go on, but I won't. But I could.

Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome, pure 80's sci-fi goodness.

Films to watch, lessee...

Pacific Rim - Some didn't like it, but it's one of my top films of all time. Giant robot monster-punching from Guillermo del Toro, and the atmosphere is amazing.

Robot Jox - America vs. Russia in a post-nuclear battle for supremacy, with stop-motion giant robot gladiator contests. You can see its influences in Pacific Rim. Awesomely bad!

Priest - Post-apocalyptic again, priests with superhuman fighting skills vs. insect-hive style vampire plague. The imagery and aesthetics alone are worth it.

Masters of the Universe - Dolph Lundgren vs. Skeletor. 'Nuff said.

Films I need to see are Death Machine, Robot Wars and the latest Universal Soldier. I'm told they're all bad-but-awesome too :D

Last edited:
I too enjoyed John Carter and also stayed well away for many years!

I really quite enjoyed the new Terminator too.. that got slated.. something like 33% on RT!

My main beef with Prometheus was that the crew were a bunch of unprofessional, argumentative hardcases who shouldn't have even passed screening to be allowed together on a spacecraft, never mind investigate the origins of mankind. Contrast their growling aggression and horrible professional decisions with the team attitude fostered by Dallas in the original Alien film (an absolute neccessity for any crew forced to live together for months on end in a deadly environment) and it becomes even more unwatchable. Also the horrible mish-mash of modern and 70's sci-fi aesthetics. I could go on, but I won't. But I could.

Pacific Rim - Some didn't like it, but it's one of my top films of all time. Giant robot monster-punching from Guillermo del Toro, and the atmosphere is amazing.

Robot Jox - America vs. Russia in a post-nuclear battle for supremacy, with stop-motion giant robot gladiator contests. You can see its influences in Pacific Rim. Awesomely bad!

Priest - Post-apocalyptic again, priests with superhuman fighting skills vs. insect-hive style vampire plague. The imagery and aesthetics alone are worth it.

Films I need to see are Death Machine, Robot Wars and the latest Universal Soldier. I'm told they're all bad-but-awesome too :D

I loved Pacific Rim, Priest is good, the others no I haven't but I will +1 rep!

Nothing is bad if it has an episode of Mystery Science Theater or Rifftrax.

(Except Birdemic, which is still an atrocity even well buried in riffs)

I didn't realise "Guardians of the Galaxy" was considered a bad movie. I thought it was great.

I heard bad things about "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" but was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

Paycheck is also worth a look.

Promethius managed the trick of being overly complicated and way too simplistic at the same time.

We may not agree on a lot of other things, but man, you've got some good taste in films! +1 for that list, love them all myself.

I haven't seen John Carter yet, I want to, because I've actually read the old novels it was based on, love them, as cheesy and bad as they were, still great adventure stories. Edgar Rice Burroughs, great author sorta, not exactly Asimov or Heinlein but still great stories.

Silent Running, Outland, Alien Outpost(it's on netflix right now) and so many others...bad movies can still be a lot of fun and quite enjoyable.

I loved Guardians but I hated Prometheus... I haven't managed to get through more than five minutes of John Carter but maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days. Just my perspective. No judgies :)

For me. Battlefield Earth was a terrible flick.
I read the book 1st, and that was definitely one of my all time favorites... As good as the book was, I was looking forward to watching the movie, and was really weirded out that I couldn't find it locally at all. After that, I looked up reviews and saw why. It was a lower then low rated movie. I ended up ordering the DVD. (This was before the Internet had permeated all media gathering for me ;) ... I couldn't believe how bad it was. They turned it into something shallower then a Jell-O shot.

But if you are looking for a good read; I couldn't recommend it more.

Last edited:
We may not agree on a lot of other things, but man, you've got some good taste in films! +1 for that list, love them all myself.

I haven't seen John Carter yet, I want to, because I've actually read the old novels it was based on, love them, as cheesy and bad as they were, still great adventure stories. Edgar Rice Burroughs, great author sorta, not exactly Asimov or Heinlein but still great stories.

Silent Running, Outland, Alien Outpost(it's on netflix right now) and so many others...bad movies can still be a lot of fun and quite enjoyable.

Thank you :D I love films that have heart and imagery and atmosphere, especially the so-bad-they're-awesome kind. There's a fine line between that and being just bad, and it's incredibly hard to explain, but you know it when you see it.

And gah, can't believe I forgot Outland. It's one of my go-to films when I think about the Elite aesthetic, and it's great for that sense of oppressive isolation and the silent void of space. Alien is another. One of the reasons I dislike the look of Prometheus so much is there's a mix of all that chunky green-screen monitor style 70's scifi goodness, alongside holographic displays and glowing bits and hovering...whirling...laser map-making drones that seem to fly by magic since no propulsion is visible in a setting famous for its hard-SF stylings. It's happening again! I can't start talking about this, I'll never stop. Ridley Scott, what have you done to meeeee?! :eek:

Last edited:

Silent Running? I thought this was about supposedly bad Sci Fi films. Silent Running is one of the greatest movies of all time. I actually quite enjoyed "Lost in Space". I think we can safely put that one into the category of supposedly bad.

I thought Prometheus was a good film, I enjoyed it at the cinema in 3D, was a bit underwhelmed by it on 2D TV, and loved it all over again in 3D on the TV. Go figure.

Love the Dredd film with Karl Urban, but it was written by Alex Garland, so no surprise really. Also Lockout with Guy Pierce. Neither are complicated tales, and are all the better for it.

I have an deep affection for Serenity, despite having never seen the TV show.

I can heartily recommend Ex Machina - quite slow but intense, and with an ending I doubt too many will spot coming.

Top Bottom