Survey of EDSM White Dwarf "D" Stars

EDIT: You weren't suppose to see that, I was editing it almost immediately after I realized my mistake. ;)

Well, I did see it in that thread, but even if I didn't I would know what you did, like everyone else who subscribed that thread :)

Anmerkung 2020-07-25 150845.JPG

Well, I did see it in that thread, but even if I didn't I would know what you did, like everyone else who subscribed that thread :)

Yeah, yeah. :p ;)

EDIT: Since you're seeing the edits immediately, I'll add that my scripts are still chugging away on those id64s. It' shard to gauge how long it'll take since I don't know how complete the data is. I'm watching the columns gradually fill in on the database. I've saved copies of the "bodies7days" dumps from EDSM ever since the last full body dump was available, and still have that too, so I have a script doing a regex to pull what it needs and fill them in.

Last edited:
A low count of D and DQ white dwarf stars makes sense since they account for an extremely low number (DQ alone is only about 0.1%) of known white dwarf stars. Maybe the algorithm for generating the galaxy took that into account when building the star count. Which means that they COULD be out there. A rare treat waiting to be found.

Last edited:
A low count of D and DQ white dwarf stars makes sense since they account for an extremely low number (DQ alone is only about 0.1%) of known white dwarf stars. Maybe the algorithm for generating the galaxy took that into account when building the star count. Which means that they COULD be out there. A rare treat waiting to be found.
I don't quite buy this because of the 19 that exist within 500LY of Sol. Clearly they're not that rare if there are that many that close to Sol. I really don't think it's likely that any DQ stars exist out there.

Last edited:
When something exists solely inside the bubble, then it's unlikely to be found elsewhere. That's true. But we do have one case where this surprised us-- Helium Gas Giants (not Helium-rich Gas Giants). They only existed inside the bubble, until one single system was discovered with them in the core of the galaxy. So now we know those can exist elsewhere, but to date no additional ones have been found.

As an example (going through the list I had) quite a few have been filled in, but can you check for Synuefe RV-K d9-63 5 that's one (I picked at random from my missing body ids file which was generated a long time ago). https://downloads.spansh.co.uk/null_body_ids.jsonl.gz is the file I generated.

OK, now that my database filled these in, I was able to check this again. Looks like this one still doesn't have the id64.

Here's how many are filled in now, on my side: 139,429,330 planets out of 148,220,923 and 50,815,486 stars out of 56,963,297.

This thread sure has taken off!

I'm guessing that like the "D" stars, "C" stars, "Wolf Rayet" (not N/C/NC/O), and "DQ", are special cases for actual stars as opposed to proc-gen?

OK, now that my database filled these in, I was able to check this again. Looks like this one still doesn't have the id64.

Here's how many are filled in now, on my side: 139,429,330 planets out of 148,220,923 and 50,815,486 stars out of 56,963,297.
Which matches up near enough with my 14million missing bodies (which was over a year ago now). I linked to the list of missing ones I generated.

Thanks also from me. I now have a spreadsheet I can find systems close to me, while still getting closer to the bubble.

I can also see there are 16 systems with no location in EDSM. I've entered a distance for each of them. Perhaps if commanders elsewhere in the galaxy submitted some distances they could be triangulated? Just in case, the systems are:
  • Byoi Aerb PF-E d12-0
  • Byua Aerb JI-S d4-15
  • Dryuae Aug JH-M d7-1858
  • Dryuae Aug JH-M d7-907
  • Dryuae Aug JM-W f1-568
  • Dryuae Aug QT-I d9-475
  • Dryuae Auscs IK-C d14-2765
  • Eorl Aug KM-W f1-1957
  • Ploea Airm KH-M d7-7
  • Ruekaea KI-I d10-13
  • Ruekaea TJ-P d6-1
  • Ruekaea TU-N d7-3
  • Ruekia DD-I d10-24
  • Scheau Gree AW-N d6-215
  • Whambeia CN-H d11-1634
  • Whambeia MK-C d14-65

Last edited:
I wondered about those badges. How exactly does one submit a distance to EDSM? I assume we're talking about targetting these systems and reporting the distance from wherever you are in the galaxy?

Edit: Nevermind, I see how to do it now. I will submit for all of these next time I'm ingame!

I can also see there are 16 systems with no location in EDSM. I've entered a distance for each of them. Perhaps if commanders elsewhere in the galaxy submitted some distances they could be triangulated?
Done - added 7 distances per system, but I'm quite far off, so only 4 have resolved so far.

EDIT: With CMDRs Ripador, Werdna, Irisa Nyira, Kyrenas Obreey and mephesfeles submitting additional distances they're all resolved now.

Last edited:
I've created a Google Sheet with a list of all the stars.

The data was based on a download of White Dwarf Stars from edastro. I've entered the locations of the newly-located stars, and I've deleted a couple of the many stars I've visited. I intend to update this sheet every now and again with fresh data from edastro.

To use, switch to the "Cmdr" sheet and enter your current system coordinates. Then on the "Stars" sheet click on the drop-down menu on the E column and select "Sort sheet A->Z".

Which matches up near enough with my 14million missing bodies (which was over a year ago now). I linked to the list of missing ones I generated.
You might anyway want to look a bit at your database, as I hate to say it, but it seems to lose some data in the transfer process.
I recently was the first visitor to Hypio Prao NB-O d6-100. And slightly related to the subject of this topic, it has a White Dwarf main, or more precise one of the rare DBZ.
Interesting about it is, that EDSM lists this particular DBZ at the same time as the lightest and the largest of its kind. However, I heard that the EDSM records page might have had some hickups itself, and might not be reliable, and so I checked Spansh as alternative.
EDSM: Hypio Prao NB-O d6-100 A
Spansh: Hypio Prao NB-O d6-100 A
Long story short, Spansh agrees with it being the lightest at 0.3086, but it does not have the correct solar radius (0 instead of 0.0202 according to EDSM).
I agree, a minor issue in itself, but it might be a hint toward a bigger problem, so I thought I post it anyway. Certainly doesn't dimish the value of your page in the slightest ;)

You might anyway want to look a bit at your database, as I hate to say it, but it seems to lose some data in the transfer process.
I recently was the first visitor to Hypio Prao NB-O d6-100. And slightly related to the subject of this topic, it has a White Dwarf main, or more precise one of the rare DBZ.
Interesting about it is, that EDSM lists this particular DBZ at the same time as the lightest and the largest of its kind. However, I heard that the EDSM records page might have had some hickups itself, and might not be reliable, and so I checked Spansh as alternative.
EDSM: Hypio Prao NB-O d6-100 A
Spansh: Hypio Prao NB-O d6-100 A
Long story short, Spansh agrees with it being the lightest at 0.3086, but it does not have the correct solar radius (0 instead of 0.0202 according to EDSM).
I agree, a minor issue in itself, but it might be a hint toward a bigger problem, so I thought I post it anyway. Certainly doesn't dimish the value of your page in the slightest ;)
Thanks for the heads up, I've taken a look and it was due to me not calculating the solar_radius field (we get radius in m from the game, EDSM transforms that into solar radius). I've put in some patches to deal with that.

Top Bottom