Switching between VR and Monitor

Is there anyway to switch between playing in VR in one session and playing using my desktop monitor in another. I have used my VR so much that the bridge of my nose hurts and I think the shape of my face is changing to suit. Sometimes... just sometimes, I would like to fly through the galaxy or close to a planet surface, listening to music, enjoying a beer (or two), looking at the scenery. I have investigated this slightly but chicken out each time it gives me a code to use somewhere. Im not being very bright here for someone who has played this game for years:rolleyes:

I don't follow; do you mean running two copies? Then no, not under the same account.
You can switch between VR and 2D in the graphics settings though; and you can do that whilst playing. Otherwise (because settings), use EDProfiler to set up profiles for VR and 2D as they really should be different (i.e. HUD colours, Anti-aliasing etc)

I am not sure, if I understood correctly. In theory, you could play on your screen while VR mode is active. You can also change the resolution of the output window.
What I do is, using EDProfiler by Dr. Kaii for creating a graphic setting profile for screen and one for VR. Then I can switch rather conveniently between VR and screen. The game has to be restarted though.

I launch through Oculus, you can right click the icon and start the game in VR or desktop mode. Also as stated above, most games you can go into graphics settings and switch the output to monitor from HMD during the session.

I've often wished for a one-button toggle between my preferred VR and my preferred flatscreen settings. Long sessions in the Outfitting screen or at an engineer (eight shield boosters while checking your Coriolis build, not in VR, no way) are best done in flatscreen, but you have to re-establish multiple flatscreen settings every time, then work your way back through the menu system. Not fun. What are games meant to be again?

I've often wished for a one-button toggle between my preferred VR and my preferred flatscreen settings. Long sessions in the Outfitting screen or at an engineer (eight shield boosters while checking your Coriolis build, not in VR, no way) are best done in flatscreen, but you have to re-establish multiple flatscreen settings every time, then work your way back through the menu system. Not fun. What are games meant to be again?

EDProfiler has been mentioned a couple of posts up. That will do exactly that, and a few other things besides.

I've often wished for a one-button toggle between my preferred VR and my preferred flatscreen settings
I have investigated this slightly but chicken out each time it gives me a code to use somewhere.

edprofiler is a good solution, and is easy. without going into too much detail, it's basically a settings manager. it can detect the current settings of the game, and it can keep different sets of settings under different names.

so assuming you play in vr now, fire up edprofiler, 'detect current settings', save as ... "your_vr_setup". vr covered.

for the 2d set you can either tweak the settings in edprofiler itself, or do it in the game and then again 'detect current settings'. finally, save as ... "your_2d_setup". 2d covered.

once that is done, to play you can run edprofiler, select your preferred settings, 'apply' and 'launch', done.

it can get way more nuanced than that if you need to but that covers the basics. also, edprofiler also allows to play with some options that aren't easily accessible in the game's configuration spaghetti files.

so assuming you play in vr now, fire up edprofiler, 'detect current settings', save as ... "your_vr_setup". vr covered.

for the 2d set you can either tweak the settings in edprofiler itself, or do it in the game and then again 'detect current settings'. finally, save as ... "your_2d_setup". 2d covered.

once that is done, to play you can run edprofiler, select your preferred settings, 'apply' and 'launch', done.
I can change settings in-game faster than using an external tool and relaunching the game - I was rather hoping for an in-game bound one-button switch.

Not expecting, of course, but hoping.

I can change settings in-game faster than using an external tool and relaunching the game - I was rather hoping for an in-game bound one-button switch.

Not expecting, of course, but hoping.

fair, but ... weird? i know, the game makes this extra cumbersome by forcing you into one mode to change into the other. but the problem is bigger than you realize: vr and 2d configurations are usually very different, it's not just about selecting the hmd option. in 2d you will usually aim for best resolution and candy, in vr you'll want to tweak a few bits because you will never have enough ooomph for everything (for the time being). that's easily a dozen options. justifies edprofiler in my book, and i'm vr 99.9...% of the time (granted, a bit less lately, but still). anyway, whatever floats your boat :)

It gets boiling hot here in the summer (at least for my Nordic preferences), so I have packed my VR kit away for the summer. The Oculus app still fires up when I start the game, but otherwise it seems to start in flatland with no issues. It even remember my native screen resolution now it is not confused by the low-res Oculus Rift.

The only slow bit is that I tend to turn SLI off when running VR, and swithing between SLI on and off is a bit of a pain.

:D S

Thank you everyone... great pointers and suggestions here. I'm going to give edprofiler a go. I already have it, just never really used it other than cockpit colour suggestions.

Thanks once again.

fair, but ... weird? i know, the game makes this extra cumbersome by forcing you into one mode to change into the other. but the problem is bigger than you realize: vr and 2d configurations are usually very different, it's not just about selecting the hmd option. in 2d you will usually aim for best resolution and candy, in vr you'll want to tweak a few bits because you will never have enough ooomph for everything (for the time being). that's easily a dozen options. justifies edprofiler in my book, and i'm vr 99.9...% of the time (granted, a bit less lately, but still). anyway, whatever floats your boat :)
If I can switch manually in-game then presumably Frontier could add a routine that would do the same thing on the press of a button.

They won't, but they could.

If I can switch manually in-game then presumably Frontier could add a routine that would do the same thing on the press of a button.

They won't, but they could.
+1 for custom graphic presets in-game

By the way, I never came across a game, where this is possible, especially considering VR.

Top Bottom